Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 197cm 23 year old premiership player who can play either end and no flight risk when it comes to free agency. Next year we will be up against Port to I think. It would be huge if we pull it off.

Especially when you look at the overs others clubs like Essendon and Port are paying for key defenders.

Only way it happens is if Petty tells Melbourne he is out and they can also secure a replacement.

EH...

Yep. That interview, consistent talk of Petty involved with McAdam.
Our second round pick arsenal.
Wouldn't be surprised if there's a deal brewing.

Might be optimistic on my part to not lose all of 20, 23 and 25 in obtaining Petty.
If we keep 10 then 20 23 and 26 can all go to get Petty

What am I missing with petty?
I don’t watch a lot of Melbourne but have hardly ever noticed him.
Pick 10 and Mcadam seems like overs?
Is it just the contracted bit?

I'm really not a fan of giving up first round picks for key defenders.

With that said, this draft is so bad and has nothing that we need so trading our picks is probably the best move, especially for a proven player (versus an unproven KPD that we'd select at the draft, and we all know that's what we'd do)

What am I missing with petty?
I don’t watch a lot of Melbourne but have hardly ever noticed him.
Pick 10 and Mcadam seems like overs?
Is it just the contracted bit?
Don't get hung up on the number. It's about using what you have to get what you need. A known quantity at #10, in our current phase, is better than an unknown quantity at #10 in a weakish draft.

Haven't seen much of Petty other than that game he went forward and kicked 6. Just how good of a defender is he, and why isn't he the number 1 in Melbourne? Who does he play like?

Haven't seen much of Petty other than that game he went forward and kicked 6. Just how good of a defender is he, and why isn't he the number 1 in Melbourne? Who does he play like?

He isn't their number 1 because they have Steven May. And they trialed him forward for a bit because Melbourne's forward line is awful

He's more athletic and versatile than someone like Daniel Talia, but not quite as good of a pure stopper. Good disposer and can intercept.

The number 1 is easy to answer. Steven May.

Who is one of, if not the best KPD in the league at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's more an intercept marking kind of defender, but also good 1 on 1, maybe a bit like Sam Taylor from GWS

I think Petty is most similar to Phil Davis in how he plays

Petty and Fog played their schoolboy footy together at Rostrevor and I believe are great mates. McAdam + one of our later second rounders. Petty would be a great addition. Gives us flexibility and cover forward and back.
Would be a wonderful spine and good way these two as bookends to build both attack and defensively in the coming years.

If not this year, next year and the year after that we simply must go after an elite mid thats out of contract.

If it’s us and Melbourne then surely this means there is no chance of a Petty trade, otherwise why wouldn’t Melbourne let us have it and get it from us In that trade?

im happy to go after pick 11 if we have something specific that we are chasing, like GWS pick, but keeping it and 10 seems odd. 10 and 11 are a pretty weak spot in this draft as far as I can see, with no obvious targets for us.

If it’s us and Melbourne then surely this means there is no chance of a Petty trade, otherwise why wouldn’t Melbourne let us have it and get it from us In that trade?

im happy to go after pick 11 if we have something specific that we are chasing, like GWS pick, but keeping it and 10 seems odd. 10 and 11 are a pretty weak spot in this draft as far as I can see, with no obvious targets for us.
I guess they’re operating under the thought that Petty isn’t leaving (so far)

So we go another year without a mid?
I get that, but I just can’t see where ones coming from at this stage so if there’s an opportunity to bring in a very good player you go for it.

Petty is only 23, with him a Murray we’d be set for 2 key defenders for the next 10 years. Does make Butts a bit surplus though and we’ve just extended his contract.

From what I’m reading there’s no gun inside mid available at 10 anyway, but if we can get Gold Coasts 11, we should still get a good player.

It’s a good question. He certainly hasn’t set the world on fire until this year, and most of the hype seems to be because of that game forward, coupled with him being an SA boy. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him as a Tex replacement long term, especially with how well Keene is progressing. However pick 10 and McAdam seems a very high price for him.

If we get 11 and they really wanted it, its more likely to help us get Petty as we back them in a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back