Player Watch #52 Campbell Gray 2024 MSD Pick 16

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure you have said that before, in regards to forwards not on our list anymore lol. Hope we see them at AFL level this season.

I’m certain about these 2. I’m currently on the streets with no house and car but will be rewarded in 12 months when I win the bet :drunk:

Can't believe he slid to pick 16

secret smell GIF

You’re a ****ing idiot mate 😂 😉

Hate to be negative nelly here but not sure what the club saw in this young guy that was any different to Archie May.

I'm a bit unsure why we would give a spot to Gray when we think May isn't even close to AFL ready. They are of similar height, weight & age. Their stats are also similar in 2024.

I even took out the games Gray played down back which might have hindered his stats in comparison

View attachment 2004916

I'd be pretty pissed if I was May, and I personally don't think May is ready. The only reason I think we took him was because he can play down back and up forward. In saying that pretty sure we signed May up in the VFL as a Ruckman to begin with and he has ended up a forward, so with Naismith going down perhaps we felt we needed another person to play up forward if Ryan is playing seniors?
Completely diff player to May , this guy looks a lot like Harry jones , modern game suits him and if he knuckles down could forge a career . I personally would have still listed may as a ruck option as I see him with superior skill set to Ryan , huge young kid , disappointed we didn’t list him

Scope and ceiling is everything
That is exactly what I see with Gray - considerable upside. I was hoping we would get him but you can't have them all unfortunately - I don't mind taking a risk on a guy that can break a game open and that would be the thinking here.

Not sure if VFL match replays from a few weeks ago are available but the talent was there on display when we played Williamstown in the first half. Big athletic contested grabs, nice goalkicking routine and in other matches he has troubled guys on the ground level and has some tricks. Be prepared for a few howlers too but that is the fascination with these later picks and how they respond in a professional environment.

I am happy we have Gray, May and Davidson for the rest of the year!!! Plus a new FB with size and some experience. Great outcome, now for a VFL premiership.
If MacAuluffe and Sonsie only manage 12 AFL games with Taranto and Hopper returning they will qualify for VFL finals and we will be a red hot chance....

Samson Ryan has already qualified, Tresize will this week and Mutaz and Yassine will be back too

If MacAuluffe and Sonsie only manage 12 AFL games with Taranto and Hopper returning they will qualify for VFL finals and we will be a red hot chance....

Samson Ryan has already qualified, Tresize will this week and Mutaz and Yassine will be back too
imagine the damage we could do with that midfield, best state league defender in the country and a quality marking forward added.

Hate to be negative nelly here but not sure what the club saw in this young guy that was any different to Archie May.

I'm a bit unsure why we would give a spot to Gray when we think May isn't even close to AFL ready. They are of similar height, weight & age. Their stats are also similar in 2024.

I even took out the games Gray played down back which might have hindered his stats in comparison

View attachment 2004916

I'd be pretty pissed if I was May, and I personally don't think May is ready. The only reason I think we took him was because he can play down back and up forward. In saying that pretty sure we signed May up in the VFL as a Ruckman to begin with and he has ended up a forward, so with Naismith going down perhaps we felt we needed another person to play up forward if Ryan is playing seniors?
?

Gray has kicked 9 goals 5 in 4 games. May has kicked 2 more goals over an extra 4 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know nothing about this guy, never seen a second of his play until a few minutes ago. But reading through all the comments here with various notes on his game, his somewhat unknown football history ( Does anyone know what his footy history was pre the 2 years at keilor? ), i kinda like the pick. He reads like a guy that picked it up a couple of years ago and fairly quickly and naturally was able to impact games due to his athletic style and attack on the ball, mostly on intincts. Agree he doesn't look 195cm. He sounded like a high risk / high upside selection with a style that hitsmultiple needs. I think his form as a forward seems the most exciting, but watching him in defence i liked his menace and desperation. He sounds like he might be the fearless pack crashing type.

My biggest concern with him is, our medical and conditioning team. This is the type of kid that you really slam the gym on immediately to ensure he has the body to withstand the style he likes to play & i have no faith in our current conditioning team to do that.

Interestingly, he is only a couple of months older than Gibcus, and plays with the same reported aerial strengths & is apparently the same height, while playing the same swinging fwd-bck role.

Its the play at the 30 second mark that has me the most excited. Thje diving blindly to spoil a marking attempt and then following it up with a tackle. He seems a natural competitor. Big call off a small sample, but his footage gave me a taller Aaron Hammil vibe. Can compete in the air, but also chase and tackle hard. A good goal sense. His competitiveness really stood out and he looked really comfortable. I thought he looked more comfortable than Blight with the pace of the game etc.

I'm keen to see how he goes with his 6 months here. So how exactly do these contracts work? At the end of the 6 months are they effectively in UFA? That's a bit sucky. Feel like they should be structured to be 6 months with the Club having a standard 1 year contract option at the end of that 6 months.

Last edited:
i know nothing about this guy, never seen a second of his play until a few minutes ago. But reading through all the comments here with various notes on his game, his somewhat unknown football history ( Does anyone know what his footy history was pre the 2 years at keilor? ), i kinda like the pick. He reads like a guy that picked it up a couple of years ago and fairly quickly and naturally was able to impact games due to his athletic style and attack on the ball, mostly on intincts. Agree he doesn't look 195cm. He sounded like a high risk / high upside selection with a style that hitsmultiple needs. I think his form as a forward seems the most exciting, but watching him in defence i liked his menace and desperation. He sounds like he might be the fearless pack crashing type.

My biggest concern with him is, our medical and conditioning team. This is the type of kid that you really slam the gym on immediately to ensure he has the body to withstand the style he likes to play & i have no faith in our current conditioning team to do that.

Interestingly, he is only a couple of months older than Gibcus, and plays with the same reported aerial strengths & is apparently the same height, while playing the same swinging fwd-bck role.

Its the play at the 30 second mark that has me the most excited. Thje diving blindly to spoil a marking attempt and then following it up with a tackle. He seems a natural competitor. Big call off a small sample, but his footage gave me a taller Aaron Hammil vibe. Can compete in the air, but also chase and tackle hard. A good goal sense. His competitiveness really stood out and he looked really comfortable. I thought he looked more comfortable than Blight with the pace of the game etc.

I'm keen to see how he goes with his 6 months here. So how exactly do these contracts work? At the end of the 6 months are they effectively in UFA? That's a bit sucky. Feel like they should be structured to be 6 months with the Club having a standard 1 year contract option at the end of that 6 months.

I’m pretty sure we have the option of offering them a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back