List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Beyond that, what draft pick assets do we have to give up that Melbourne would be interested in? A future first that might be a late teens pick at best?
We barely got neale done when we had a lot more currency at the draft table. So would have to be at least one gun player.

They are nearly the same age (lachie 2018 vs oliver now) but oliver a lot higher rated

Pipe dream sadly

We would be instant flag favourites if we got him even if it were in exchange for as mooted (not saying I agree with this) rayner plus berry plus picks

Midfield would be oliver / neale / dunkley / clugga / ashcroft

I think Will will be a freak and Levi showing great signs, so it would be madness to go hell for leather for oliver - because what it would take to get him would hurt the fabric of the club

Putting aside the problems with even attempting to force out someone, if the Dees were willing for a pick in the late teens plus Cam then I'd be very very concerned with what we were getting in return.

Look it isn't going to happen but it is fun to hypothesize.

Reading between the lines of the latest details that have come out this evening, seems to me like it's melbourne briefing media against Oliver to an extent. Which begs the question as to what behaviour is such that they might possibly want to be rid of him?

Reading between the lines of the latest details that have come out this evening, seems to me like it's melbourne briefing media against Oliver to an extent. Which begs the question as to what behaviour is such that they might possibly want to be rid of him?
Interesting. I think for his sake getting out of the fishbowl would be good for him. The dees by getting rid of him and Grundy have a decent salary dump and from what the dees showed this year they can win games without him. Use that cap space on a decent forward looking to move and they’re back in it.

I wonder if its worth drafting decent players from WA anymore if WC (and Freo) just want to pick them off after a few years of development. We also get little return from them as it's unlikely for a player to want to leave WA for Qld if they are from SA or Victoria (except Lachie).

Smells like Fevola all over again, id be very nervous

Interesting. I think for his sake getting out of the fishbowl would be good for him. The dees by getting rid of him and Grundy have a decent salary dump and from what the dees showed this year they can win games without him. Use that cap space on a decent forward looking to move and they’re back in it.
Ironic that Oliver and Grundy both got outrageous LT deals and not that long afterwards the gloss has worn off.

Ironic but hardly surprising.

That's hard for dev to resist, but it's also a lot of pressure from day one.

And of course, will be watching his friends continue to contest for premierships.

He can't not go, but it's a sliding doors moment that he will always wonder about.
Des Headland was fortunate to win the 02 GF but have heard him say a couple of times that in hindsight he regrets departing the Lions when he did for Freo when they were average.

Dev’s situation is remarkably similarly and I reckon Des’ advice would be to stay for for the short term and experience success because the WA clubs aren’t going anywhere and will likely still be interested when he is a far more accomplished footballer.

What are the behaviours that a club like Melbourne in the premiership hunt would even consider trading Oliver after signing a seven year contract only recently?

Historicaly clubs have tolerated behaviours that society would put them behind bars for a long time. We know rapists have been held on a list because they have some goal scoring ability. Burglars and criminals, even pedophiles have been untouchables at clubs.

Oliver is to Melbourne as Black was to the Lions during the golden era. Think abou it. What sort of behaviours would we have considered trading Black?

Rumor (Unverified) emanating from Melbourne that Oliver has just about fractured their culture. Culture killer.

Yeah lets trade an integral culture player like Rayner for Oliver. Yeah well he was a Lions supporter. Yeap that's a good reason. Are you serious?

Would not touch with a shyte smeared rag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the behaviours that a club like Melbourne in the premiership hunt would even consider trading Oliver after signing a seven year contract only recently?

Historicaly clubs have tolerated behaviours that society would put them behind bars for a long time. We know rapists have been held on a list because they have some goal scoring ability. Burglars and criminals, even pedophiles have been untouchables at clubs.

Oliver is to Melbourne as Black was to the Lions during the golden era. Think abou it. What sort of behaviours would we have considered trading Black?

Rumor (Unverified) emanating from Melbourne that Oliver has just about fractured their culture. Culture killer.

Yeah lets trade an integral culture player like Rayner for Oliver. Yeah well he was a Lions supporter. Yeap that's a good reason. Are you serious?

Would not touch with a shyte smeared rag.

Culture killer didn't really make sense. He's been at the one team for years and they gave him a long term contract. Would not have done that if there were cultural problems.

Same long term coach so probs not a falling out there either.

Melbourne board says Oliver had/created problems with club medical staff when out with injury.

Maybe he just wants to join the procession of medical miracles that are traded in lions players.

Culture killer didn't really make sense. He's been at the one team for years and they gave him a long term contract. Would not have done that if there were cultural problems.

Melbourne board says Oliver had/created problems with club medical staff when out with injury.

Maybe he just wants to join the procession of medical miracles that are traded in lions players.
Read on a news site last night, he'd alienated plenty of team mates with strange behaviour while 'rehabbing' this year, also moved out of his home and in with big Max, who was trying to help him.

For the media to write that suggests something is awry, relationship breakdown? But anyway plenty of due diligence required, would hope we have learned from the Fevola debacle that set us back years.

You don't try and get rid of an A grade player unless there is an issue. Issues can be resolved though as some people do mature over time. The length of current contract is also an issue. Melbourne might pay some of his contract as his value has probably diminished.

Last edited:
Easy to get carried away, half/most/all of those details about Oliver on the news etc could be completely made up, the whole "willing to trade him" thing could be made up too.

It could just be a kick up the arse from Melbourne towards Oliver and there’s no intention whatsoever to trade him.

You’d think he wouldn’t want to move from a team contending to a cellar dweller, so could probably put a line through a lot of the teams with the picks to get it done.

In terms of teams who could see themselves in contention (or soon), who could realistically get slenthjng done, you could probably argue Giants, Suns & Dogs would have a look at it.

The only way we would ever entertain it would be if we had our own “high profile” player looking to leave, which one would assume isn’t happening.

Oliver news surely click bait, like the Rayner articles last year. Couldn’t even see them doing it for a forward given there wouldn’t be one available of the calibre they’d be after.

Only way there would be any truth was if there was serious behavioural issues, in which case it would be a no anyway.

I thought there were rumors of him getting on the bags while he was rehabbing. Feels like a bit of a similar story to Hogan tbh, and there was rumors a few years ago of Goodwin being pretty heavily in the gear a few years ago so I wonder if that was a similar link. Although Hogan had a few massive life events at the time as well.

Would be pretty confident the behavioral issues could be turned around if we were into him (Mitch Robbo anyone?). But I don't see how we have the trade capital to get him here unless Melbourne is just trying to dump his salary for low picks. But I doubt they do that to another contender.

However it's always been a sliding door moment of what if we had Oliver, and a player of his ilk and position is kind of exactly what we need. I probably rather get Bailey Smith if we are living in this fantasy land but it's nice to dream at least.

Is our first pick next year in play this trade period, or is it best to wait 12 months and see how many points we’ll need for Levi & others? Any chance we can try and move up at all, or will teams look at that and assume it’ll be another teens pick so it’s not worth it perhaps?

Well there were those rumours that that 3 month hamstring injury was actually club enforced drug strikes…

And the SEN article from yesterday is wild - says that they considered forcing him to move in with Gawn at one point, not to mention that the 4 week foot infection he was out with was because he tried to tattoo himself lmao

SEN said they almost forced him to move in with Gawn. You don’t make your star player move in with the captain unless you’re seriously worried about something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back