List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread II - Goldy&Bucket➡️✅/'24 EoFR & #44➡️Stephens&#25✅/#21&#25➡️Fisher&#17✅/'24 EoFR➡️#18✅

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Shinboners!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to say Buttox but there will be no more assistance from the AFL. We are established Vic based club about to have our 100th year in the VFL/AFL.

3 years of assistance (including next years that we will use this year) is more than enough for any established club. Any more sucking from the AFL teat risks becoming systemic and other clubs will rightfully say we need to get our act together.

This is our last shot at 'assisted drafting' - we have been given a good draft hand by the AFL and via our own poor performance.

If we stuff this up - e.g throwing away first rounders when we don't need to - then its on us - there will be no more head office assistance after this year.
They’ll just say that draft picks haven’t helped you, more draft picks are also not likely to help. They did the same thing when Melb were in their final stages of being terrible.

They’ll also say there is likely to be a delayed benefit from the draft assistance which I think some dog shit coach brought up.

We’ve had our kick, now we need to find ways to make it work.

The Hype over Reid rightly or wrongly is Ensane, been happening for the best part of 2 years. O'Brien said they would look at a trade if it is too good to refuse, Picks 2+ 14 isn't exactly overs and 14 will become 16 at a minimum with McKay and Gresham compo, then you have the 3 GC boys on top pushing it out again
Ok. Let’s see what happens. 2 and 14 is plenty IMO.

What did Cunners and Hall offer at a senior level this year?

A preseason into Sheezel, Wardlaw et al will bring about incremental improvement.

Maybe I'm naive and in denial, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one more good experienced player traded in this offseason.

We've clearly been trying to get Haynes, so there is an identified need for senior defenders who can act as bridging talent.
Sheez and Wardlaw are 2 years away from big improvement. Sheez performed at such a high level this year it's hard to see him jump another level straight away. We will get improvement from our under 22s. But not enough to jump the gulf out of the bottom 4. 24 months is our timeline for that imo.
I'm not happy saying this by the way. But 4 wins next year would be decent.

What did Cunners and Hall offer at a senior level this year?

A preseason into Sheezel, Wardlaw et al will bring about incremental improvement.

Maybe I'm naive and in denial, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one more good experienced player traded in this offseason.

We've clearly been trying to get Haynes, so there is an identified need for senior defenders who can act as bridging talent.
A full preseason and second year under Clarko will play some dividends. We certainly have been more competitive with him as coach. We also played better I think with more of the youth out there - potentially blokes who can play to the advantage of Clarkos gameplan.

I reckon Hawthorn are still benefiting from the systems and structures Clarko put in place leading up to his departure there. We have a more talented list than Hawks - not as well balanced. I think we could perform aswell as they did in 2023 next year, and then quickly improve on that.

42 is where we should be starting and stopping with Fish.

I think it will be our future 3rd and possibly a swap of future 4ths, gives them points for their father sons next year. No surprise they knocked back 42, shallow pool of talent and that is going to be pushed back as far as 50 anyway, very little value in it this year.

Sheez and Wardlaw are 2 years away from big improvement. Sheez performed at such a high level this year it's hard to see him jump another level straight away. We will get improvement from our under 22s. But not enough to jump the gulf out of the bottom 4. 24 months is our timeline for that imo.
I'm not happy saying this by the way. But 4 wins next year would be decent.

Sheezel will jump by way of his role.

If he can play to the same level forward of center, he instantly jumps to a top 40 player in the league imo.

I think it will be our future 3rd and possibly a swap of future 4ths, gives them points for their father sons next year. No surprise they knocked back 42, shallow pool of talent and that is going to be pushed back as far as 50 anyway.
Picks will start collapsing at some point though, depends when they start burning them. 42 might go out, then come back in after more bids.

Define "decent first rounder". .

In reality, that pick "14" is unlikely to be even a 1st rounder in an uncompromised draft! I have it as between 18 & 21 (probably 19).

SBG, the fact you even used the word "decent" means you think that a lower 1st round pick might be fine for this trade.

I probably agree with you if it remained pick 14 in reality, then it's likely too high. Bottom line: It won't... & it will be more than 2 or 3 spots it drops unfortunately!
Collingwood, Sydney, Geelong and Richmond have built half of their premiership sides from picks between 15-40.

If we can’t similarly get value from that range then we will remain out of the hunt for the premiership.

Picks will start collapsing at some point though, depends when they start burning them. 42 might go out, then come back in after more bids.

Yeah might be right, still very little value in such a shallow pool in my opinion so I’m not surprised it won’t get it done.

I think we need to prepare some in this forum... if we trade for Pick 1 in the next couple of weeks it's because we REALLY REALLY want Reid, not because they are spooked or they are in any way desperate for Curtin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheezel will jump by way of his role.

If he can play to the same level forward of center, he instantly jumps to a top 40 player in the league imo.
He will need to. He has shown glimpses already so it is possible just more likely in a few years I reckon. I think what folks fail to acknowledge is that some our top picks will be duds. I'm not saying sheezal but others will just not come on. Drafting is a guessing game.

I think we need to prepare some in this forum... if we trade for Pick 1 in the next couple of weeks it's because we REALLY REALLY want Reid, not because they are spooked or they are in any way desperate for Curtin.

What's your expectations on cost ?

I Agree, but when you're sitting here trying to work out how 14 brings in one of Wilson / Osullivan / Caddy... you realise this pick is beyond tier 2.

Going to be an interesting 2 weeks.
Look, personally I‘d be happy to keep 2 and 3(if we have it) and take Curtin and McKercher. But I’m onboard the Reid train if that’s the way we go, but I don’t want us to give up too much for it.
I think we can use the F1’s to move into the 10 range and get O‘Sullivan. That’d be my preference anyway.
I‘d then use 19 on Leake……think he‘s got Fyfe vibes for me.
*Or we use the F1‘s to get another mature player.

I’ve been in the “Hold our picks” camp, but I’m ok with a trade if it is that 2 + 14 as mooted in that article GR posted earlier. If Harley is the one Clarko and the recruiters want I’ll back them in.

Geelong pick is the one.

14, F19

I reckon the Geelong pick is the most overrated pick in the draft. It's two picks out from potentially getting a slider from the real stars and they're gonna over value it so for a team like us with nice trade value to work with we'd be overpaying when we could probably target the Dogs first via the Suns at a discount and get very much somebody highly rated on our board anyway.

2 and 14 and likely one of the assistance picks. The other two assistance picks can also get us in a decent spot in this first round.

A full preseason and second year under Clarko will play some dividends. We certainly have been more competitive with him as coach. We also played better I think with more of the youth out there - potentially blokes who can play to the advantage of Clarkos gameplan.

I reckon Hawthorn are still benefiting from the systems and structures Clarko put in place leading up to his departure there. We have a more talented list than Hawks - not as well balanced. I think we could perform aswell as they did in 2023 next year, and then quickly improve on that.
Yep, I think that's a good bar.

The Hawks won 7 games with that list.

Besides, we obviously weren't much good this year, but I think there's a case to be made that we underperformed in terms of wins and losses.

And buttox just think about who was in that team that won that last game against GC.

Replace Howe with LDU

Replace Perez with Fisher

Replace Turner with Shiels

Replace Greenwood with Wardlaw

Replace Mckay with Comben

Replace Taylor with Harley Reid or Colby McKercher

Xerri took the majority of the hitouts over Goldy. Replace Todd's forward line presence with Zurhaar.

In totality, that's not a worse side. Even with Mckay out.

As one club recruiter told Foxfooty.com.au earlier this year about the prospect of West Coast trading Pick 1, “it’d be North or nothing”.

Bang on! And that is the reason we should not be bending over for West Coast and talk of 2 plus 14 is ridiculous for pick 1.

If WC don't do a deal with us for Curtin now they will be worried about what draft picks they will have to give us in 3-5 years when he says he wants to return to Perth and they wont want him going to Freo. They were burnt on Kelly re draft picks getting him back to Perth - they won't want to go through that again.

When we get pick 3 tomorrow I would offer them 3 and 14 - watch them quickly backtrack and say 2 and F19 is good for us let's get this done - they don't want to lose Curtin.
1, 34 > 2,14,‘24 PP.

Get it done.

Use the 34 for Fisher.

This is my thinking.
Mackay replaced by pink
Goldy replaced by X
Hall replaced by Fisher
Cunners and Ziebell by 18 year Olds.

I'm struggling to see the improvement. I hope your right mate. The AFL totally need to say this is the last package I get why they would. But we lost 20 straight this year and we've lost 5 of our best 22.

Cunners and Jack were no longer best 22.

Cunners was already replaced by a number of people. Phillips, Powell and others, not sure where it lands after another preseason but the middle isn’t an issue.

Jack was slready being pushed out by Goater/ Bergman.

We will have a new look with Dawson / Corr / Pink/ Chom all available before trade week is finished. We can go shorter with Archer/ Sheezel if we like and likely to have McKercher/ Curtain

Yes we’ve take a hit experience wise but we are going to be stronger round 1 imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back