List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread II - Goldy&Bucket➡️✅/'24 EoFR & #44➡️Stephens&#25✅/#21&#25➡️Fisher&#17✅/'24 EoFR➡️#18✅

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Shinboners!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Meanwhile Essendon has won the race for key defender Ben McKay’s services. They won’t know until they lodge their contract offer what compensation it entitles North Melbourne to, but band one would significantly decrease the likelihood the Kangaroos would opt not to match. Another Kangaroo will be heading their way with Todd Goldstein picking the Bombers over the Magpies as his next home, allowing him to partner with Sam Draper.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Players that could leave

If the paperwork lands at Arden Street and it’s clear they’ll be getting top-level compensation for Ben McKay’s free agency exit, Alastair Clarkson should probably offer to drive him over to Essendon. The Kangaroos say they are ready to match any offer for the restricted free agent that doesn’t secure them the No.3 pick in the draft. Hawthorn and Sydney would happily make a move for the key defender if his preferred move to the Bombers falls through, but it would be staggering for that to happen from here. Despite the club proclaiming him a ‘Kangaroo for life’ when he signed his last contract extension, former All-Australian ruckman Todd Goldstein will finish his career at Essendon. Tarryn Thomas, who ended the season on a high note after his myriad of off-field controversies, will see out his contract until the end of 2024 amid interest from the Bombers and Sydney.

Players that could arrive

The Roos are tipped to land out-of-favour Blue Zac Fisher on a four-year deal, with a trigger for a fifth, on $450,000 a season according to Jon Ralph. He is contracted until the end of 2025, having extended midway through last year, and would need to be traded but given he played just 12 AFL games this year Carlton wouldn’t be able to drive a particularly hard bargain. Four clubs including the Kangaroos flagged interest in Gold Coast forward Mabior Chol, who had an excellent campaign leading the side to a VFL flag, but he picked Hawthorn. Former No.5 pick Dylan Stephens has requested a trade from Sydney to Arden Street, with a deal of up to four years on the table. Let’s not forget the possibility of the Kangaroos trading up for Pick 1 to nab Harley Reid - which they wouldn’t have had to do if they had simply lost to Gold Coast in Round 24. The Roos are the most likely team to make the move simply because it’d mean the Eagles would land Pick 2, and thus have access to top WA prospect Daniel Curtin; something which would not be certain if they traded down to Gold Coast’s No.4, Melbourne’s No.5 or GWS’ No.6. (All of those pick numbers are correct before the looming McKay compo pick, which throws another spanner in the works.) As one club recruiter told Foxfooty.com.au earlier this year about the prospect of West Coast trading Pick 1, “it’d be North or nothing”.

Who’s already gone

Jack Ziebell (retired), Aaron Hall (retired), Daniel Howe (retired) Ben Cunnington (retired), Lachie Young (delisted), Flynn Perez (delisted), Phoenix Spicer (delisted), Jacob Edwards (delisted)

Draft picks

2, 14, 19, 40, 52, 60
As one club recruiter told Foxfooty.com.au earlier this year about the prospect of West Coast trading Pick 1, “it’d be North or nothing”.

Bang on! And that is the reason we should not be bending over for West Coast and talk of 2 plus 14 is ridiculous for pick 1.

If WC don't do a deal with us for Curtin now they will be worried about what draft picks they will have to give us in 3-5 years when he says he wants to return to Perth and they wont want him going to Freo. They were burnt on Kelly re draft picks getting him back to Perth - they won't want to go through that again.

When we get pick 3 tomorrow I would offer them 3 and 14 - watch them quickly backtrack and say 2 and F19 is good for us let's get this done - they don't want to lose Curtin.

CATS' PICK BEING EYED OFF​

CLUBS are tossing up ways they can move higher up the draft order over the next month, with Geelong's pick No.7 the next selection to be viewed by rival teams as a potential landing spot.

A handful of teams including Carlton and West Coast are among those with interest in getting higher up the draft order, having made enquiries with clubs about what it would take to shift into a better position. Melbourne, which holds picks 13 and 23, could also be another contender to shift up the board, as may North Melbourne given its suite of selections

Geelong is viewed as a candidate to potentially trade back, or trade into the future, with clubs eyeing off its No.7 selection as a trade target.

Cats football boss Andrew Mackie recently told AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable that the club would put its top-10 pick on the table for the right package during the upcoming trade window.

Clubs have already made serious plays for Gold Coast's No.4 pick, with the Western Bulldogs the frontrunners for that selection as they seek to get inside a potential bid on father-son prospect Jordan Croft.

The Dogs would likely part with pick No.10 as a starting point to get higher up the order, with clubs also considering what it would take to then nab that pick from Gold Coast as the Suns look to amass more draft points to match bids on their quartet of talented Academy stars.

Melbourne, Adelaide and North Melbourne are among the clubs with interest in the No.10 pick should it land with the Suns in their moves to accrue points. – Riley Beveridge, Callum Twomey

FISHER TALKS UNDERWAY​

NORTH Melbourne has put pick 42 on the table for Carlton's Zac Fisher as the Roos look to land the versatile Blue.

Fisher last week underwent a medical with North before officially requesting a trade to the Kangaroos from Carlton, where he has two years to run on his deal.

The start of the trade discussions has seen the Roos put forward their third-round pick for the 25-year-old, who has played 107 games for the Blues since being drafted in 2016.

Carlton is expected to push for more in return for Fisher, who played 12 games this season and found his form late in the year as a rebounding half-back.

The Kangaroos are set to be busy players in the trade period, with Ben McKay departing as a free agent and the club looking to bring in Fisher and Dylan Stephens as well as making a target of the No.1 pick. – Callum Twomey

Last edited:

We have offered 42 for fisher, however blues want more.

Pretty confident will be a pick in the 30s which is mid 2nd round to back end. We will pick that pick up along the way.

Will be one of the later deals done in trade week however will get done.
Bet they're eyeing off one of the future PPs next year, but they'd be dreaming

CATS' PICK BEING EYED OFF​

CLUBS are tossing up ways they can move higher up the draft order over the next month, with Geelong's pick No.7 the next selection to be viewed by rival teams as a potential landing spot.

A handful of teams including Carlton and West Coast are among those with interest in getting higher up the draft order, having made enquiries with clubs about what it would take to shift into a better position. Melbourne, which holds picks 13 and 23, could also be another contender to shift up the board, as may North Melbourne given its suite of selections

Geelong is viewed as a candidate to potentially trade back, or trade into the future, with clubs eyeing off its No.7 selection as a trade target.

Cats football boss Andrew Mackie recently told AFL.com.au's trade and draft show Gettable that the club would put its top-10 pick on the table for the right package during the upcoming trade window.

Clubs have already made serious plays for Gold Coast's No.4 pick, with the Western Bulldogs the frontrunners for that selection as they seek to get inside a potential bid on father-son prospect Jordan Croft.

The Dogs would likely part with pick No.10 as a starting point to get higher up the order, with clubs also considering what it would take to then nab that pick from Gold Coast as the Suns look to amass more draft points to match bids on their quartet of talented Academy stars.

Melbourne, Adelaide and North Melbourne are among the clubs with interest in the No.10 pick should it land with the Suns in their moves to accrue points. – Riley Beveridge, Callum Twomey

FISHER TALKS UNDERWAY​

NORTH Melbourne has put pick 42 on the table for Carlton's Zac Fisher as the Roos look to land the versatile Blue.

Fisher last week underwent a medical with North before officially requesting a trade to the Kangaroos from Carlton, where he has two years to run on his deal.

The start of the trade discussions has seen the Roos put forward their third-round pick for the 25-year-old, who has played 107 games for the Blues since being drafted in 2016.

Carlton is expected to push for more in return for Fisher, who played 12 games this season and found his form late in the year as a rebounding half-back.

The Kangaroos are set to be busy players in the trade period, with Ben McKay departing as a free agent and the club looking to bring in Fisher and Dylan Stephens as well as making a target of the No.1 pick. – Callum Twomey

Good to see we're actually learning how to negotiate.

Don't need to be like Dodoro but you have to play the game.

They are dreaming. Fisher couldn’t get a game and they dropped him for the finals series. They can say they are happy to keep him, however they want the salary cap freedom to bring in Hollands.

Pick in the 30s gets it done.

I'm sort of 50 50 on trading next year's pps. We are more likely to have another pp deal next year than we are to roar up the ladder and lose those picks.
I would love to be proven wrong of course.
We HAVE to trade them, otherwise we risk not getting any benefit from them. Gil basically said use them or lose them. If North manages to win around 7 games next next year then I'd expect the AFL to withdraw those PPs on the basis of significant improvement, regardless of where we finish on the ladder. There certainly won't be a new assistance package because this is clearly the last one, which potentially already incorporates next year.

Media going with this today.
Why do you say that? It’s a 1 pick downgrade for an extra first rounder.
The Hype over Reid rightly or wrongly is Ensane, been happening for the best part of 2 years. O'Brien said they would look at a trade if it is too good to refuse, Picks 2+ 14 isn't exactly overs and 14 will become 16 at a minimum with McKay and Gresham compo, then you have the 3 GC boys on top pushing it out again

We HAVE to trade them, otherwise we risk not getting any benefit from them. Gil basically said use them or lose them. If North manages to win around 7 games next next year then I'd expect the AFL to withdraw those PPs on the basis of significant improvement, regardless of where we finish on the ladder. There certainly won't be a new assistance package because this is clearly the last one, which potentially already incorporates next year.
The only benefit I see of trading them is they won't be considered when the 2024 package is announced.
These picks don't move the needle for us. They are not quality. All first round picks are not equal. We have lost good contributors through retirement and fa this year and we are replacing them with 18 year Olds and state leaguers. We are not winning 7 games next year.
More pain is ahead of us unfortunately

They need points next year with F/S's but only way I can see that happening is if Blues pick 16 is involved. I'd prefer to go after a picks inside 12 with those future picks like GWS 6, Cats 7, 5/10 Dogs/GC or 11 from Swans as a first options though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only benefit I see of trading them is they won't be considered when the 2024 package is announced.
These picks don't move the needle for us. They are not quality. All first round picks are not equal. We have lost good contributors through retirement and fa this year and we are replacing them with 18 year Olds and state leaguers. We are not winning 7 games next year.
Sorry to say Buttox, but the afl has told us to trade them or they’ll be gone

I doubt we'd be getting assistance next year. I think this was final package given the review next year's condition and we probably won't need it as I think we will be on our way even if we're bottom four, I think we'll get more wins.

Sorry to say Buttox, but the afl has told us to trade them or they’ll be gone
Which is fine we did ok last year trading the pps and clearing them before the AFL does next year's package makes sense.
I think we are bad again next year and the AFL bites the bullet. Getting Noah Anderson helped gc finally. Compare that to Logue and Tucker. Picks around 20 are not going to dig us out of this mess

I doubt we'd be getting assistance next year. I think this was final package given the review next year's condition and we probably won't need it as I think we will be on our way even if we're bottom four, I think we'll get more wins.
This is my thinking.
Mackay replaced by pink
Goldy replaced by X
Hall replaced by Fisher
Cunners and Ziebell by 18 year Olds.

I'm struggling to see the improvement. I hope your right mate. The AFL totally need to say this is the last package I get why they would. But we lost 20 straight this year and we've lost 5 of our best 22.

Which is fine we did ok last year trading the pps and clearing them before the AFL does next year's package makes sense.
I think we are bad again next year and the AFL bites the bullet. Getting Noah Anderson helped gc finally. Compare that to Logue and Tucker. Picks around 20 are not going to dig us out of this mess
Sorry to say Buttox but there will be no more assistance from the AFL. We are established Vic based club about to have our 100th year in the VFL/AFL.

3 years of assistance (including next years that we will use this year) is more than enough for any established club. Any more sucking from the AFL teat risks becoming systemic and other clubs will rightfully say we need to get our act together.

This is our last shot at 'assisted drafting' - we have been given a good draft hand by the AFL and via our own poor performance.

If we stuff this up - e.g throwing away first rounders when we don't need to - then its on us - there will be no more head office assistance after this year.

Sorry to say Buttox but there will be no more assistance from the AFL. We are established Vic based club about to have our 100th year in the VFL/AFL.

3 years of assistance (including next years that we will use this year) is more than enough for any established club. Any more sucking from the AFL teat risks becoming systemic and other clubs will rightfully say we need to get our act together.

This is our last shot at 'assisted drafting' - we have been given a good draft hand by the AFL and via our own poor performance.

If we stuff this up - e.g throwing away first rounders when we don't need to - then its on us - there will be no more head office assistance after this year.
Time will tell. I do respect your point of view but I think it's a hollow threat from the AFL. We have historically got the worst assistance the AFL has ever offered. Picks around 20 are garbage. I think the AFL will realise there mistake and finally offer us something serious. I'm surprised they didn't this year to be honest

This is my thinking.
Mackay replaced by pink
Goldy replaced by X
Hall replaced by Fisher
Cunners and Ziebell by 18 year Olds.

I'm struggling to see the improvement. I hope your right mate. The AFL totally need to say this is the last package I get why they would. But we lost 20 straight this year and we've lost 5 of our best 22.
What did Cunners and Hall offer at a senior level this year?

A preseason into Sheezel, Wardlaw et al will bring about incremental improvement.

Maybe I'm naive and in denial, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one more good experienced player traded in this offseason.

We've clearly been trying to get Haynes, so there is an identified need for senior defenders who can act as bridging talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back