List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:

So his kicking is fairly s**t. Why bother? Because he can run? Howe can run. We needs guys who are quick but can kick. It’s called “football” after all. :stern look

Did you read the rest of the post? Side note: Brad Mckenzie could kick but didn't have much else.

Even the best sides in the comp are carrying blokes who are not great by foot but provide an array of other things to compensate which allows them to play their roles. We need speed on the outside and some more competition on the wings (preferably someone who actually plays the position instead of sticking a round peg in a square hole like Taylor), Stephens does that.

He's going to come cheap for a reason - if you're expecting that every single player we bring in needs to be a great kick, runs like the wind, impacts forward of centre, works hard defensively and has a stiff arm like Ben Cunnington then you're going to be disappointed.

If he comes cheap, he's worth the punt in a position of need and will be an upgrade on basically every single player that'll be off the list at the end of the year.

Again I'll re-state my main point: You're not getting elite talent when you're looking to be frugal in filling your list. Reality is we'll have ~4 picks to draft elite talent and then we need to fill the list with guys that are going to have obvious areas of improvement, and if they didn't have obvous weaknesses then we wouldn't have the chance of getting them cheap.

Last edited:
I like going after Stephens purely based on the fact that he fits a position of need for us and has been very good at VFL level this year. He has an elite work-rate and tank which we're screaming out for; we need line-breaking wingers who provide run and carry and get meterage. He's been playing as a genuine on-baller at VFL level which has really helped him develop his defensive game with an average of 6 tackles per game.

My biggest issue with him is his kicking is fairly s**t. It's a pretty big issue to be honest but I'm taking him without a second thought if he comes cheap.
Irony is that clarke is likely keeping him out of the seniors.

Did you read the rest of the post? Side note: Brad Mckenzie could kick but didn't have much else.

Even the best sides in the comp are carrying blokes who are not great by foot but provide an array of other things to compensate which allows them to play their roles. We need speed on the outside and some more competition on the wings (preferably someone who actually plays the position instead of sticking a round peg in a square hole like Taylor), Stephens does that.

He's going to come cheap for a reason - if you're expecting that every single player we bring in needs to be a great kick, runs like the wind, impacts forward of centre, works hard defensively and has a stiff arm like Ben Cunnington then you're going to be disappointed.

If he comes cheap, he's worth the punt in a position of need and will be an upgrade on basically every single player that'll be off the list at the end of the year.

Again I'll re-state my main point: You're not getting elite talent when you're looking to be frugal in filling your list. Reality is we'll have ~4 picks to draft elite talent and then we need to fill the list with guys that are going to have obvious areas of improvement, and if they didn't have obvous weaknesses then we wouldn't have the chance of getting them cheap.
LOL. It was you who posted “My biggest issue with him is his kicking is fairly s**t. It's a pretty big issue to be honest.” A pretty BIG issue. You said it. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They still don't move the needle, though.

Ideally you want players to come in and be a top 10-15 player for us immediately. That's what actually helps us get better.

Griffin Logue moves the needle, Josh Walker didn't, for instance.

And if they are currently not in their own team's best 22, they're probably not moving anybody's needle.
Accept your point but we either go down this road or we re-sign a handful of blokes who have proven beyond all doubt that they’re not up to it.

Question will be whether we can pick the right ones. Previous experience doesn’t fill me with massive amounts of confidence.

Tarryn - yeah agree, classy footballer but has the work ethic of a sloth & the urgency of Cliff Young high on weed.

Someone who has effectively a breakdown and then works his way back into the side to become probably our best player in since his return can't be lazy.

But perhaps you're seeing something I'm not officer.

Big Al is talking to any player that will listen. One would assume they’d all be upgrades.

Makes sense I suppose

Hearing that most will listen too.

Certainly far more than in years before.

Is Darcy Parish about to screw our Mckay compo by requesting a trade? :think:

He's an RFA too.

So if * got Mckay it would cancel out the compo they would get for Parish.

Dodoro might prefer the compo instead?

Can't they demand a trade for Parish and still get Tall Hall for free as a FA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back