List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
I like going after Stephens purely based on the fact that he fits a position of need for us and has been very good at VFL level this year. He has an elite work-rate and tank which we're screaming out for; we need line-breaking wingers who provide run and carry and get meterage. He's been playing as a genuine on-baller at VFL level which has really helped him develop his defensive game with an average of 6 tackles per game.

My biggest issue with him is his kicking is fairly shit. It's a pretty big issue to be honest but I'm taking him without a second thought if he comes cheap.

Replacing our fringe players with somebody else's fringe players doesn't make much sense to me, tbh.

Everyone else's fringe players are better than ours. We need to find a way to replace the 10 guys we're about to delist and I'd take Stephens over all of them from a talent and need perspective.

Everyone wants elite talent coming in but we're not getting 10 guys with elite talent replacing the 10 going out the door. We might get 3-4 elite talents via Sanders, 2, 3 and the Port First, but we need a number of other guys to round out our list profile and we've got no choice but to be frugal with how we get them.

Replacing our fringe players with somebody else's fringe players doesn't make much sense to me, tbh.

To be fair our fringe players wouldn’t be in many other clubs top 40. There would be fringe players everywhere in the comp that are massive upgrades on our depth currently.

Upgrade on our fringe players?
They still don't move the needle, though.

Ideally you want players to come in and be a top 10-15 player for us immediately. That's what actually helps us get better.

Griffin Logue moves the needle, Josh Walker didn't, for instance.

And if they are currently not in their own team's best 22, they're probably not moving anybody's needle.

Ideally you want players to come in and be a top 10-15 player for us immediately. That's what actually helps us get better.

And if they are currently not in their own team's best 22, they're probably not moving anybody's needle.
We're trying to get a needle first.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

With some clever trading, we could (as an example) upgrade a player currently fringe to a pretty much starting which increases our depth
Fisher and Stephens that have been mentioned are upgrades on someone like Mahony or Taylor running through their spots and wouldn’t spend as much time in the VFL
Get where you are coming from but think we need some unappealing players that have a good chance of lifting the squad as a whole
Edit: Even Tucker isn’t a bad example, I know his kicking is rubbish but at least he can run out a game

I like the idea of Fisher, Stephens (Johnny 5 is alive) and Ralphsmith coming in but time to get linked to some talls.

I don't think that its about individual players. We need players who can run so that we can implement a system.

Fisher, Stephens, McKercher, Sanders. Thats kicking 4 players out of the 22 who can't run.

Its probably doubling the number of players who can run in the group.

It might end up that we only use Stephens and Fisher as stepping stones to bridge the gap and they are replaced by better versions. But we need to bridge that gap.

How many shitmen have the pies fielded this year even though they only have two or three strong qualities?
(usually including pace and endurance)

Five? Six? Ten?

If he plays well the next three games and in the finals that could put a spanner in the works he may decide to stay
Carlton’s form will also be an important factor. They could easily fall away.

How many shitmen have the pies fielded this year even though they only have two or three strong qualities, usually including pace and endurance?

Five? Six?
genuinely like 75% of their side would be shitmen on our team and massive whipping boys but they play their role to perfection on the pies to fit around the absolute top class players they have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

genuinely like 75% of their side would be shitmen on our team and massive whipping boys but they play their role to perfection on the pies to fit around the absolute top class players they have.
Lol I posted that and then on reflection added "ten," hoping no one had noticed it yet.

Sounds like a s**t truck. Why do we want to look at him?
Desperation.

Brady gets an instant chubby if a player says they are happy to come to us and then proceeds to get reamed to make it happen.

It’s the North way, bring in more and more shittruck/cast offs in the hope one might make it.

All we do is clog the list to the point we are at now.

Desperation.

Brady gets an instant chubby if a player says they are happy to come to us and then proceeds to get reamed to make it happen.

It’s the North way, bring in more and more shittruck/cast offs in the hope one might make it.

All we do is clog the list to the point we are at now.
Brady," shit he wants to come and play for us where's that flipping pen gone, I have a thousand pens and when I flipping need one I can't find it, Sonja , Jen gotta pen , need one quick , pronto before he changes his mind"

Yep. Their list falls away quite a bit after the top few but the system reduces their weaknesses. Exactly like Richmond's premiership era

Pies have 8-9 A Graders. That’s when u start looking at role players. Not when you have 1 A Grader.
You can't avoid looking at role players whether you're a ceiler dweller or a contender I reckon.

You're not getting A Graders with third and four rounders and its an unrealistic expectation.

For mine, the best you can hope for is having a good coach with a good gameplan who knows exactly what mixture of roleplayers and a-graders will work.

Trick is to streamline the less talented blokes' roles where possible and only give your Sheezels, Wardlaws and LDUs the licence to take the calculated risks.

I like going after Stephens purely based on the fact that he fits a position of need for us and has been very good at VFL level this year. He has an elite work-rate and tank which we're screaming out for; we need line-breaking wingers who provide run and carry and get meterage. He's been playing as a genuine on-baller at VFL level which has really helped him develop his defensive game with an average of 6 tackles per game.

My biggest issue with him is his kicking is fairly s**t. It's a pretty big issue to be honest but I'm taking him without a second thought if he comes cheap.
So his kicking is fairly shit. Why bother? Because he can run? Howe can run. We needs guys who are quick but can kick. It’s called “football” after all. :stern look

You can't avoid looking at role players whether you're a ceiler dweller or a contender I reckon.

You're not getting A Graders with third and four rounders and its an unrealistic expectation.

For mine, the best you can hope for is having a good coach with a good gameplan who knows exactly what mixture of roleplayers and a-graders will work.

Trick is to streamline the less talented blokes' roles where possible and only give your Sheezels, Wardlaws and LDUs the licence to take the calculated risks.
Role players are a waste in a struggling side. They just look like shit because there is nothing around them to support them playing that role.

I would rather us take punts on developing talls than bringing in more spuds that will just clog the list.

So Stephens is most likely this years Lachie Young special? Maximum List Clogging potential.

Role players are a waste in a struggling side. They just look like s**t because there is nothing around them to support them playing that role.

I would rather us take punts on developing talls than bringing in more spuds that will just clog the list.
We still don't have a squad of players capable of running out games. The Swans have good fitness standards and Stephens has won multiple of their time trials. We do need talls too, so its not an either/or I reckon.

Interesting that Souup hates Stephens' kicking. I'm not an expert, and I haven't followed him in the VFL, but I would have described some of his kicks in the seniors as pretty penetrating. I just haven't seen him do much of note in terms of contested work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back