Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is the main point we should remember during our trade scenarios. He's under contract and stated he's not going anywhere because he's happy where he is.
He's staying. End of story.
DGB has one year left on his contract! If the Hawks say it’s over after 2024 and west coast say they want him, offering him 2-3 years to come home! I am confident he would leave for that offer.

Odd to evaluate what we would get for players we clearly wouldn’t trade. The only potential as of 2023 is CJ…
Napalm Death Pigeon GIF by Century Media Records

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not fussed about Reid. I'm happy for North to take him at 2.

I would be happy to trade next years first if it gets us another pick inside the top 8 this year, simply because it fast-tracks our improvement.

If that can't happen, hang on to it and use it next year on Bailey Smith.

We muffed those picks, no doubt. However we nailed the 3 from 2004 and those 3 players collectively contributed more to our success than Hodge could ever do.

You can’t get the picks right or wrong if you don’t have them can you?
I raté leadership as the most essential quality to success. Nothing buddy roughy and Lewis provided could substitute for Luke Hodge in those premiership years. It was only later in their careers that roughy and Lewis became proper leaders approaching the calibre of Hodge in the sense that they could organise and settle the team when challenged, and see it through to victory.

Without Hodge we don’t have 4 premierships. Perhaps 1. The team became lethal when Hodge played mainly off half back during 2008.

Hodge made “the whole greater than its parts.”

Anyhow… back to draft hypotheticals.

My preferred outcomes for us in order:

1. Reid - pay the price.
2. Duursma + Watson (trading ff for GCS 1st pick)
3. Duursma
4. Curtin (there’s no way he slips and I don’t want to trade up for him.)
4. Watson & Caddy (splitting pick 3)
5. McKercher or Watson or Caddy

I am actually equal weight on the first two possibilities tbh as I think Duursma will become as good as Reid as a forward/mid when he eventually matures, but expect Reid to produce earlier and be more versatile throughout.

Out of interest who is the best key forward in this year's draft? Is there a Cadman/king type player lurking just outside the reid/Watson/mckercher/Duursma that have dominated the conversation

Jed Walter. In an open draft he'd be neck and neck with Reid for pick 1.

I think it plays out like this and people are over complicating it .

North get pick 3 compo for Mckay. They send pick 2+3 to Eagles for 1 and get Reid .
Trade Thomas out and get a top 20 for him . Thats Reid and another 2x top 20s

Eagles take Curtain plus next best leaving us pick 4

Question is how do we get another high pick . Can we get GC ?

Dont give up on GWS either .....

North get pick 3 compo for Mckay. They send pick 2+3 to Eagles for 1 and get Reid .

North would not give up 2 and 3 for 1 in isolation would need a second back like 34 at least if not asking for 19.
In that scenario eagles would take Curtin and McKercher I’m pretty sure.
I’ve posted a lot how we get suns pick it’s f1 and 29 which they will do if they get about 1400 points themselves in the trade period.
Kingsley said no first in any salary dump that could simply be spun as no first in isolation (so with something coming back).
The dream outside Reid is 3,4,12 and McCabe match. 29 goes for suns r1, 38 we get for brockman goes to gws for Haynes and their r1. We probably need to grab a few late suns picks they won’t use to give us the points for McCabe. Unless we trade out players that give us 3rd round picks.

I don't think North needs to give anything to Eagles to get Reid. They just have to tell Eagles that they will take Curtin at 2 if they pick Reid. Eagles are more interested (NEED) in Curtin than Reid. It's a free hit for North to get Reid.
It is also the same reason why nobody else but North could take Reid.

YES
YES
NO - too old
YES
NO - too brittle
NO - insufficient consistent form
YES
NO - injury prone and played VFL mostly this year
NO - too old
Maybe

IMHO - I make it only 4 players on that list who could potentially command a 1st Rd pick.

Newcombe, Day, Sicily & Weddle

Lewis would easily command a first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back