Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITS THE SAME ARTICLE AS YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!
I reckon they're just putting a different club name out each day to generate discussion.

They might even have good info about where he's actually heading, but it's too early to put it to bed when they can still squeeze some clicks out of the topic.

Disagree on many of those - Ballard, Murphy, Collins and Balta in particular.

You're taking the piss with Kemp, Payne and McGovern (2).

Also Cox, Wilkie, Sicily, Stewart, Ridley and Lever aren't traditional KPD's.
Ballard, Balta and Collins are all a mile better than McKay. Ballard in particular. Feel like you mustn't watch any Gold Coast games if you can't appreciate how much of a jet that kid is. Better than McKay at pretty much every aspect of footy and is much more accountable.

Ballard, Balta and Collins are all a mile better than McKay. Ballard in particular. Feel like you mustn't watch any Gold Coast games if you can't appreciate how much of a jet that kid is. Better than McKay at pretty much every aspect of footy and is much more accountable.
Ballard and Taylor are the best young key backs in the game and already better than McKay.

McKay would’ve been handy but wouldn’t move the pin all that much when you are looking to become the real deal.

I’d take the last post by R&L with more certainty than anything the HUN write.

Does seem the hopes of McKay joining have been doused.

TRADE TROUBLE

CLUBS are expecting plenty of trade stand-offs this year as the value of picks after the top 30 decreases in the eyes of list managers and recruiters.

With a shallow draft pool expected – clubs are predicting less than 60 picks are used at the national draft – there is set to be a flow-on for a number of deals that otherwise may be worth second- and third-round selections.
Clubs opting to use three or fewer draft picks may simply not see a value in later draft picks being exchanged for wantaway players, with impasses expected to be common in the trade period due to clubs simply not wanting to use picks past a certain range.

It will likely leave clubs pushing to instead trade for future selections, but the reverse effect of the draft class is that clubs keen to trade in players this year will be largely wanting to use 2023 selections to get deals done. – Callum Twomey
This probably works in our favour if we need to trade a F3 for McCabe points. Good.

I’d take the last post by R&L with more certainty than anything the HUN write.

Does seem the hopes of McKay joining have been doused.
It's been a while but didn't this happen 10 years ago with Frawley? Some ITKs reported he was coming to us a couple months out, things went quiet, media were bullish he was going to sign with Geelong and then when FA period opened he signed with us.

It's been a while but didn't this happen 10 years ago with Frawley? Some ITKs reported he was coming to us a couple months out, things went quiet, media were bullish he was going to sign with Geelong and then when FA period opened he signed with us.

Yes this did happen - I was at a table at the Footy show and Q&A post show I asked Billy Brownless where Frawley was going. He said and I quote - "its pretty much a done deal with Geelong"

Having said that we were clearly the #1 destination club at that point, not so much yet these days

I reckon Jeka is done guys.

He may not be as tall (depending on who you ask on this board), but Serong down back is ahead of him for a senior spot. As long as Frost, Blanck and Sicily are on the list (plus an incoming McCabe) then I don't see why we'd essentially waste a list spot on Emerson. Which is a shame, because I had high hopes originally.

IF we trade Denver, then maybe he gets a rookie lifeline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caleb Graham is stuck behind Ballard, Collins and Andrew. Hopefully we're getting in his ear.

Yep. Imagine giving up future picks and cap space this year and next year several A graders and or pick purchasing becomes available. Hold fire and go hard in 2024/25.

Except the AFL will make sure certain other clubs find out about it before others and we'll find ourselves late to the party again.

I dont know why we wouldnt go after Dougal Howard. Can teach Blanck and lets Mcabe develop

Someone I'd be interested in throwing a very late pick at (with the prospect of a better chance to play) would be Brodie McLaughlin.

A key forward picked up as an SSP by the Gold Coast who have an inflated and reducing list and have a swathe of key forwards, with 2 more highly touted key forwards about to come in. Would basically be for free and has looked fantastic in the VFL this year.

Averaged 16 disposals, 7 marks and 8 score involvements this season. Kicked 51 goals in 18 games! Is 25 years old and not hulking key forward size unfortunately (more the Gunston size) but has good speed, leap and smarts. May not be any better a prospect than Ryan or Greene but should be gettable for a nothing (i.e. otherwise unused) pick and could be the goods.

The only other decent key forward VFL option is probably Hudson Garoni. 23 years old, proper KPF size, unlucky not to be drafted in his year and just kicked 40 goals from 17 games for Werribee. Averaged 13 touches, 7 score involvements and 4.6 shots at goal.

Not many other genuine key forward prospects in the VFL with Maric, Ryan, etc having already been picked up. No one in the SANFL worth our time either.
Posters in suns board say he’s vfl standard only

I agree. People piss and moan when we "miss".

I think that's a tough call on TylerD in particular.......you can read from his thoughts over the years the poster absolutely bleeds for the Club and lives the ups and downs with every swing. Doesn't live in the despair and always looks for the road out to better days.

I'd say it's more to do with early hope. So the draft brings hope, and then pre-season can bring some hope, but an early trade - even if just to add some decent depth - can give a supporter an early whiff of positive change.
When you've tasted the success this Club has given us, the mouth feels parched when you're not looking down from the top end of the ladder after a few seasons.

Whether our trading season is overly successful or not, in the words of Deion Sanders, We Coming.
Chin up Hawkers.

In no particular order, here are 24 Key Defenders ahead of McKay

Taylor
Weitering
Moore
Andrews
May
Ridley
Ballard
Balta
McCartin
Wilkie
Himmelberg
Barrass
Grimes
McGovern (1)
Lever
Sicily
Stewart
Pearce
Murphy
Aliir Aliir
Cox
SDK
Keath
Collins

And you could mount an argument the following are also ahead of him

Battle
Payne
Kemp
Laverde
Haynes
McGovern (2)
You forgot Frosty and my mum. ;)

Posters in suns board say he’s vfl standard only

Fair enough - a fair bit of speculative "barrel scraping" when looking at mature state league prospects, especially now that the cream is regularly being scraped off through the SSP and mid season drafts.

Not sure how've they've drawn the conclusion though - given he is pretty dominant at VFL level and has not had an AFL opportunity that proves it is beyond him. With that said, likely another at about the Fergus Greene level.

Guys and gals, I'd just like to point out that, as I've told a couple of people in PM's, the club at this stage has not received any word from Ben or his management regarding his plans. As far as we're aware he's still deciding.

That's not to say RnL is wrong - he may well be right! He's obviously got access to different information streams than me.

I'm just pointing out that until we (and by we I mean HFC) hear definitively the trade is still ongoing.

And as the great man used to say - keep punching.

Guys and gals, I'd just like to point out that, as I've told a couple of people in PM's, the club at this stage has not received any word from Ben or his management regarding his plans. As far as we're aware he's still deciding.

That's not to say RnL is wrong - he may well be right! He's obviously got access to different information streams than me.

I'm just pointing out that until we (and by we I mean HFC) hear definitively the trade is still ongoing.

And as the great man used to say - keep punching.
Thanks Keeper, my opinion of him just went from being a spud to a vital clog in our backline. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back