Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon Grant Birchall (193cm) could ever play the same way as Jarryd Roughead (193cm)?
But they were recruited specifically as a flanker and key forward and played their junior footy as such.

DGB was recruited as a key back and excelled there as a junior. He played on guys who were recruited as key forwards. He has the height requirement. He has a similar build to Dustin Fletcher.

He will get there but we need patience

The problem with that comparison is that whilst Andrews and Weitering had their early struggles it was still clear that they had the size / strength / ability to become quality KPDs (I always thought the early knocks on Weitering were overdone as well).

Whereas DGB will never have the body type to be able to hold down Full Back / Centre Half Back. Which is why we are now taking about him as a rangy half forward.

Honestly none of us here can currently say with any certainty whether DGB will make it or not. A massive pre season for the young man coming up.
So he will never have the body type to play CHB/FB but there isnt certainty he will make it or not .
Its both the same . Guessing .

We are asking him to bulk up while also improve his endurance. Unless your genetically gifted its an incredible slow process to do both at the same time. Its not unusual for athletes to take 3-4 years of proper training , tweaking of nutrition and recovery to see decent gains .

He 21 turning 22 , some people dont fill out until their mid 20s

Billings for a late pick could be decent, fallen out of saints midfield but would be a decent small forward/high half forward flanker for cheap

Didn’t we get Birchall with their first?
Major pieces in the deal were Daniel Motlop, Jonny Hay and Pick 14.

We also got 18 and I think North got Daniel McConnell who was rated highly at the time

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with that comparison is that whilst Andrews and Weitering had their early struggles it was still clear that they had the size / strength / ability to become quality KPDs (I always thought the early knocks on Weitering were overdone as well).

Whereas DGB will never have the body type to be able to hold down Full Back / Centre Half Back. Which is why we are now taking about him as a rangy half forward.

Honestly none of us here can currently say with any certainty whether DGB will make it or not. A massive pre season for the young man coming up.
Both Weitering and DGB were listed as 195cm in their respective draft years, Wietering at 90lg and DGB at 81kg.
The size difference isn't that substantial and suggests with a few more seasons he could become what the Hawks really need.

Both Weitering and DGB were listed as 195cm in their respective draft years, Wietering at 90lg and DGB at 81kg.
The size difference isn't that substantial and suggests with a few more seasons he could become what the Hawks really need.
I thought DGB was only 78kgs in his draft year, he was super skinny.

Weitering is currently 103kgs and DGB is still only 84kgs (according to AFL club websites).

They are totally different body types. Weitering has the big, wide body and is strong in his core and across his shoulders.

DGB on the other hand is built like a tall middle distance runner (which is interesting given his struggles with aerobic capacity).

I'd say DGBs best bet to make it will now be as a third tall who can use his pace off the mark and marking ability down forward.

Or possibly as an intercepting half back flanker (but we are stacked for those already).

I just can't see him ever being a KPD, he's not genetically appropriate for that role.

Kossie did…

Not the greatest example of an KP early burner. In the first two seasons, Kozi was rotting in Box Hill with some pretty regular injuries. DGB has done far better than that and been first-team worthy at least.

Sure - the third season shares in Kozi's favour, but then he also has never hit those peaks since. Still time for DGB to develop into what he needs to be.

Agreed he needs to show more - but tbh, the coaching staff keep moving him around, so it's pretty hard for him to develop consistently when his position isn't even locked down. I just hope we can give him a clear set position for him to develop in, rather than this chop and change stuff.

Final thing I'll say is to quote Littlejohn, development is not a linear path. Dips, slumps and explosions are all part of youth development - hoping the latter clicks for DGB :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back