Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Gunston trade has been a while in the making and that trade preacher guy isn't all over it. It's almost like if it wasn't being chatted about on Bigfooty he doesn't report it šŸ¤”.

I feel like getting Gunston is a free win:

- Instant on-field coaching & experience for a young forward line

- Our forward line is all over the place - Wingard ded, Greene & Kozi gone & DGB learning the craft

- Gunston, even for half the games, makes our forward line instantly more potent. This makes our mids look better, makes us look more competitive and allows us to attract better talent.

#destinationhawthorn

He will be invaluable to us this pre season we will have a lot of young forwards that haven't played with each other and need to improve their forward craft. He will also be good for a few games 10 to 15 maybe
This. Even if he plays a handfull of games the fact he'll be there letting guys like DGB learn his forward craft is worth its weight in gold.

The Bulldogs want Watson and we want Smith, a pic slide to 4 with our future first going to the dogs, will be what it takes.
D
All In on Baz.

I raised the prospect of that trade yesterday with a Morrison or Frost as a sweetener on top.

Not saying we NEED to get it done, but what an injection of established talent it would be. If the Dogs think it's a possibility in 12 months time then hopefully we're going hard at enough that they feel it's better to cut their losses now.

All means nothing if Bailey isn't interested in moving though.
He is mate hence why we're going hard. It's Bevo and the Dogs that are pushing back. He wants to do the right thing by them though and they get a decent deal out of it. Their play for pick 4 was a plan knowing what was in discussion in the background. They want Watson because he will play straight away so they don't feel the effect as much if Baz leaves. More likely than not at this point we will get him but not over the line by any stretch.

Hope he comes home - when him and Mitch run the forward line, Gunners is amazing at making sure his man isn't sucked into a Lewis contest. The number of time Kozi brings his man into a Lewis contest drives me mad.

Is Smith that good that we'd be willing to trade a future first for?

Genuine question, I don't really watch other games and when I've seen him play against us I haven't been too impressed.
I would go as far as saying he is the best player to have ever played the game only as a counter balance to a couple of posters who tell us on constant REPEAT that he is about as useful as a ā€œVagina full of snowā€

We can't threaten the Eagles with anything because North have two picks above our Pick 4 (or what could be Pick 5), and North will have to trade one of those - either Pick 2 or 3 for Harley. WCE can just do the North trade at that point, and take Curtin at 2 or 3 before we do anything.
Just to clarify- when I say threaten I don't mean directly. There are ways we can send our intention to them.

Secondly I think our 5, F1 and most importantly "A PLAYER" is better than anything that North offers except both 2 and 3. That's where Eagles see the value in our deal. They get Curtin, our F1 and may be DGB.

Trade our F-1st for either Pick 8, 9, or 10. Pick 4 - Curtin, Pick 8/9/10 - Caddy. Worth in the long run.

• F-1st & Worpel to Geelong for Pick 8 & Cats F-2nd, or
  • F-1st & Bramble to Essendon for Pick 9 & Essendon F-4th, or
  • F-1st to Adelaide for Pick 10 (and maybe something else involved)

It's already been slated that DGB will be training with the forwards in the pre-season. His days as a backman are done.

Even with Clarko gone we are still turning backmen into forwards and vice versa. Old habits die hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's already been slated that DGB will be training with the forwards in the pre-season. His days as a backman are done.
We need him as a back more than I forward. Hope they work with him as a forward to dial in his ability to read the flight of the ball, so that it can transfer to the backline.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to clarify- when I say threaten I don't mean directly. There are ways we can send our intention to them.

Secondly I think our 5, F1 and most importantly "A PLAYER" is better than anything that North offers except both 2 and 3. That's where Eagles see the value in our deal. They get Curtin, our F1 and may be DGB.
I agree with that then. Regardless of everything, we should throw the kitchen sink at Pick 1 even if we don't end up with it. Pick 4, F-1st, DGB, Brocky to WCE. If that's not enough, get other teams involved. If we miss out, it's all good because we can either go to the draft or try to move up like we did last year. But we also do need points for McCabe.

He wouldn't take any, because it's best not to think of players as competitors. Mitchell isn't going to play someone who genuinely isn't performing, so it's up to DGB to play the level of football that gets him selected - irrespective of whether Gunston is in the side or not.

Yeah I understand that he would have to earn his place. But say he is doing things right at training, he may have otherwise have been picked had Gunston not been back at the club. Obviously I'm getting into big 'what if' territory here, but there's no denying that of DGB is earmarked for a third tall role then both he and Gunston will be competing for the same place.

Sounds like they will beg for more picksā€¦ in another 3 years they will be begging for more cap space than the rest of the other clubs as their draftees keep leaving for more money elsewhere
Theyā€™ve already been begging for more soft cap space while at the same time fighting to prevent soft cap increases across the board.

Iā€™m not confident that he ever will. Plus he chose to leave - no hard feelings but he made his decision- we are on a different course now. DGB doesnā€™t need Gunston helping him next year, Dermott has already been earmarked as his mentor in 24
Yeah, this wonā€™t be popular but I donā€™t see the point in Gunners returning other than a short sugar-hit. He will not be part of our next contending team so if he helps us win a game or two then itā€™s 2022 all over again - feels good but doesnā€™t actually do us good. People will say heā€™ll mentor young forwards and set examples etc, but he presumably did that in 2022 as well and Iā€™m not sure I saw the ongoing influence across our group in 2023.

Iā€™ll run for cover nowā€¦..

We got 'Shinbeggers' from this trade period, no trade can beat that!
Sometimes inspiration and circumstance come together to create something so wondrous that it nears true alchemy. šŸŒŒšŸŽ†

With this phrase, your board has given the world a beautiful gift.

I will now go forth shamelessly using it and passing it off as my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back