Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What ever F1’s we get I’d rather keep it.

If it’s let’s say Brisbane’s it would be around from pick 15-18 so we would need to get around the same this year I think.
I understand the idea. For me it depends whether the player we want / need is there for the taking. Think Weddle.

I like a number of players that are likely to be available to be selected in the 20s.

Last edited:

Because port definitely want him but don’t have any leverage other than trade what Geelong wants or risk him being convinced to stay or go to another club in the pre season draf

But what I don’t get is why a club can insist on terms for a player they have no contract with any longer in the first place. What call does a club have on a player they no longer have a contract with? Seems incongruous to me.

It’s just their last grip of power in the expiring contract. The player is contracted until the expiry on the 31st of October in the players final year. Then they become a delisted player but they can’t sign as a delisted free agent. Unless they were delisted by the club before that expiry date.

There’s other mechanisms like the draft or pre season draft to get that player but it becomes risky that you won’t get him.

Having watched some YouTube clips of draft prospects, I will be absolutely over the moon if we can land Duursma. Looks a Round 1 started for whoever gets him.
He wont start round 1 does not have the endurance to play AFL just yet.

The Hawks currently have 3 picks (before the Brockman trade) that could conceivably (due to an early McCabe bid) be entirely consumed. Having the Brockman trade split into 2 picks works out really well for the Hawks. Pick 63 will come in fast to become a much lower pick. It also seems that the Chol and Kozi trades will now be much easier.

The “make a stand” Hawk bigfooty group have a point for the Wright years… the Brad Hill trade was atrociously nice! But Wright is no longer in charge and his decisions were his to own. It is time to see if Sleepy Mark has learned how to be a list manager. To date, for me, he is doing very well.

Last edited:
I have some ideas on this, but I’d like someone to explain it to me like I am a 10 year old.

What is the actual difference between an unrestricted free agent and a player out-of-contract who has nominated the club they want to go to?
An unrestricted free agent can be signed wherever they want, the club they're coming from has no rights to them, they're a true free agent. They may net their side compensation, they may not. The decision of where to sign is completely in the player's hands.

The club of an out of contract player still has "signing rights" to that player, so a trade generally still needs to take place. If a trade isn't forthcoming, there are a few possible outcomes:

1. The player can re-sign with their old club, no issues;
2. The player can nominate for the PSD where they may get to their club of choice, but may also get picked up by any club with a pick prior to their club or choice;
3. Their old club can delist the player, in which case the player becomes essentially an unrestricted free agent and can sign wherever they want.

A restricted free agent, on the other hand, can sign wherever they want but their old club has the right to match their new deal and force a trade.

An unrestricted free agent can be signed wherever they want, the club they're coming from has no rights to them, they're a true free agent. They may net their side compensation, they may not. The decision of where to sign is completely in the player's hands.

The club of an out of contract player still has "signing rights" to that player, so a trade generally still needs to take place. If a trade isn't forthcoming, there are a few possible outcomes:

2. The player can nominate for the PSD where they may get to their club of choice, but may also get picked up by any club with a pick prior to their club or choice;
3. Their old club can delist the player, in which case the player becomes essentially an unrestricted free agent and can sign wherever they want.

A restricted free agent, on the other hand, can sign wherever they want but their old club has the right to match their new deal and force a trade.
Cheers Kermit, … As soon as I wrote my question I realised the other answer = the club that an unrestricted free agent is leaving (after 8 year of development and likely in the prime of their career) gets a compensation pick while an uncontracted player theoretically can leave the club with nothing. See Jack Martin (a Silvani master class vs Cocburn … and then Carlton sacked him 😅)

Last edited:

And isn’t Massimo an unrestricted free agent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, he's just out of contract. If he was UFA we wouldn't have had to deal with Dodo at all.
Thx. Do you know the circumstance where players become Ufa, such as being delisted, not being drafted etc.….for example isn’t Dylan Moore a life UFA?

So a lot of interesting developments. First brockman was a good trade given the circumstances. Now with 44/54/63 we have enough to match pick 21 and that doesn’t account for them coming in with earlier suns and Croft matches so we are set. We don’t need many more this year for TJ and Dear.
Lions want Ryan and future picks for Ashcroft. If they offer him 3 years the Id also want pick 30. How about
30 + 61 + Gunston for Ryan and a
Swap of f3?
Seems like Kozi and chol are essentially a swap with tigers involved.
61 for D’Ambrosio
Would then be looking to give over 30 and 33 for future picks with suns like their north freebie.

So a lot of interesting developments. First brockman was a good trade given the circumstances. Now with 44/54/63 we have enough to match pick 21 and that doesn’t account for them coming in with earlier suns and Croft matches so we are set. We don’t need many more this year for TJ and Dear.
Lions want Ryan and future picks for Ashcroft. If they offer him 3 years the Id also want pick 30. How about
30 + 61 + Gunston for Ryan and a
Swap of f3?
Seems like Kozi and chol are essentially a swap with tigers involved.
61 for D’Ambrosio
Would then be looking to give over 30 and 33 for future picks with suns like their north freebie.
How about no.👍
Let's just keep Ryan.

Have you considered the third option? West Coast keep pick 1?
If eagles trade would only be for 2/3 so expect it would be Reid Curtin Mckercher so we take Duursma and dogs get watson.
If eagles keep it then they take Reid, McKercher Duursma to north. Wonder what happens if we trade 4 to Dees for 6,11. Dees take watson, dogs won’t take Curtin surely given their KP stocks more likely sanders which would mean we can still take Curtin at 6 and add an extra pick 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back