2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the WA vs Allies game today. Other than the obvious ones, I thought Hall, Torrent and Hardeman (apart from his kicking) were pretty good. Sanchez too, to a lesser extent.

Watched the WA vs Allies game today. Other than the obvious ones, I thought Hall, Torrent and Hardeman (apart from his kicking) were pretty good. Sanchez too, to a lesser extent.

Hardeman's kicking is normally pretty good. The WA players I think would be a good fit for our side would be Hardeman (wing), Sanchez (wing/forward), O'Driscoll (wing / forward) and I would also look at Sam Van Rooyen (forward but potentially utility tall).

I have a sneaking suspicion that Tholstrup will be available at our first but that we won't take him, even though I think he has of all the WA players the most going for him for an AFL level. Collard is also a mercurial forward type (plays as a goalsneak but is a decent size) that some supporters have been calling out for but again I can see the selectors being worried about the level of tackles and pressure and the like.

Hardeman's kicking is normally pretty good. The WA players I think would be a good fit for our side would be Hardeman (wing), Sanchez (wing/forward), O'Driscoll (wing / forward) and I would also look at Sam Van Rooyen (forward but potentially utility tall).

I have a sneaking suspicion that Tholstrup will be available at our first but that we won't take him, even though I think he has of all the WA players the most going for him for an AFL level. Collard is also a mercurial forward type (plays as a goalsneak but is a decent size) that some supporters have been calling out for but again I can see the selectors being worried about the level of tackles and pressure and the like.
Is Collard worth a pick inside 40. I gather we will have to get in before WC.

Tholstrup's biggest concern is the speed no? Seems a tad slow for any role other than inside mid. Collard was the kid playing for Peel wasnt he? I thought one of this better attributes off the games I saw was he aggression and contest work or am I misremembering?

Tholstrup's biggest concern is the speed no? Seems a tad slow for any role other than inside mid. Collard was the kid playing for Peel wasnt he? I thought one of this better attributes off the games I saw was he aggression and contest work or am I misremembering?
Nah Subi. Really quick and goal sneak. Noticed a very good chase in the Allies game but not much else. Wasn't a great forward line to be in, to be fair.

Do you seriously think Subi would be hiding Tholsrtup so that Vic teams can’t draft him ahead of Wc and Freo lol.

If anything Subiaco have been promoting him.

I think there may be a few concerned with his dedication to preseason (again noting the difficulty of getting back and forth from Esperance to get to training); which some may then link to his current form.

I think he has shown he can have good burst speed when stationed as a deep forward but playing the roles he is at the moment (high half forward, mid) he doesn't have the endurance to use it, hence why the reference to the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything Subiaco have been promoting him.

I think there may be a few concerned with his dedication to preseason (again noting the difficulty of getting back and forth from Esperance to get to training); which some may then link to his current form.

I think he has shown he can have good burst speed when stationed as a deep forward but playing the roles he is at the moment (high half forward, mid) he doesn't have the endurance to use it, hence why the reference to the preseason.
Exactly re Subi promoting him they wouldn’t be helping Freo or WC in anyway.

What about Coen Livingstone?
Kicked 6 goals in the colts, 200cm and can ruck.
There seems to be at least 3 talls in WA that appear to be on the road.
WC will take one, but which one?

Tholstrup's attributes on rookieme are the following ... Explosiveness, athleticism, kicking penetration, scoreboard impact, x-factor, overhead marking. They don't list any negatives and can sort of make every player sound like the second coming, but if he is available and we pass, I will blow a gasket. It's the type of player I want most in our side as a powerful medium forward/mid. Somewhere on the scale of Lipinksi to De Goey.

If he slides because of his endurance, then great. Might take a few years, but easy to fix. Those attributes listed above, if you don't have them as a junior, then you never will.

Really hoping North don't win another game and then WC manage to fluke one more win (on top of the North game) to go above them on the ladder. Means we move ahead of WC if Tholstrup is going to be up for grabs.

If this year's draft goes their way, WC could find themselves back only a year or two behind us in the premiership race.
You do realise that these good players you draft still take time to come on (50-70 games) and become consistent and in the mean time there top end will be retired

If this year's draft goes their way, WC could find themselves back only a year or two behind us in the premiership race.
Hate to be part of the pile-on, but they are miles off. They'd have to bring in 5+ quality FAs over those two years for that to be realistic.

They have like 5 players under 28 that are AFL standard. The young ones that might be one day will take at least 2 seasons to get there on average and probably more.

Hate to be part of the pile-on, but they are miles off. They'd have to bring in 5+ quality FAs over those two years for that to be realistic.

They have like 5 players under 28 that are AFL standard. The young ones that might be one day will take at least 2 seasons to get there on average and probably more.
Even if they draft amazingly and have the vast majority of the list needed to contend in 1-2 years those players will need 5-6 years to reach their peak.

Outside of Allen, Barrass and maybe Ryan no one of their list is A Grade and still young enough that you'd say they'll likely still be so in 2-3 years. Outside of Ginbey I'm not sure I've seen top much from their younger players either - there's a few other role players there but not superstars imo.

Tholstrup's attributes on rookieme are the following ... Explosiveness, athleticism, kicking penetration, scoreboard impact, x-factor, overhead marking. They don't list any negatives and can sort of make every player sound like the second coming, but if he is available and we pass, I will blow a gasket. It's the type of player I want most in our side as a powerful medium forward/mid. Somewhere on the scale of Lipinksi to De Goey.

If he slides because of his endurance, then great. Might take a few years, but easy to fix. Those attributes listed above, if you don't have them as a junior, then you never will.

Really hoping North don't win another game and then WC manage to fluke one more win (on top of the North game) to go above them on the ladder. Means we move ahead of WC if Tholstrup is going to be up for grabs.
Yeah he’s EXACTLY the type of player we need with added bonus of being local.
Clearly has some exciting traits so will be stoked if he slides(and conversely pissed if we pass)

Yeah he’s EXACTLY the type of player we need with added bonus of being local.
Clearly has some exciting traits so will be stoked if he slides(and conversely pissed if we pass)
He wants to play for the eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back