2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Well there we go. Draft Aiden O'Driscoll, plug him into the wing/fwd roles, inject Nathan O'Driscoll into the stoppages for a bit of big bodied chaos in there as well as giving us a very quick clearance running forward out of them and he can even just play defensive mid roles so Fyfe/Serong can win the ball and start the chain while he keeps his opponent away from it.

Well there we go. Draft Aiden O'Driscoll, plug him into the wing/fwd roles, inject Nathan O'Driscoll into the stoppages for a bit of big bodied chaos in there as well as giving us a very quick clearance running forward out of them and he can even just play defensive mid roles so Fyfe/Serong can win the ball and start the chain while he keeps his opponent away from it.
Or get Sanchez and all the same applies. Bit fearful of the O'Driscoll family kicking. Wouldn't mind Aiden though.

He had a great quarter. So did Sanchez and Hardeman. That may be our options at our first pick. Commentator said Aiden usually has great skills so that is great on top of everything else he brings.

I wanted to see a secondary role for him at AFL level and that full speed attack on the loose ball in the forward fifty to kick the goal was enough for me.

Yeah we need a genuine crumbing, goal kicking forward. Nice

For mine, Delean was the genuine crumbing goal kicker out there today - got in really good positions, he probably will go 15-20 but if he falls through we definitely should be looking. Sanchez was good in the first half (two goals) and a better kick than O'Driscoll; O'Driscoll was probably the hardest runner on the ground though and setup a bit of stuff in the second half - both are interesting but for mine more sort of pick 35 onwards.

26 possessions to Daniel Curtin as a massively tall midfielder that took I think 6 tackles as well stood out for mine as well as Edwards dominance in the ruck and generally around the ground. Clay Hall was also dominant in the centre and his kicking was pretty reasonable and Hardeman off half back was very good without being dominant. Also Tholstrup had his moments with high half forward attacks on the ball and good delivery but didn't make it onto the scoreboard. Livingstone was good in the first quarter but disappeared after that.

But let's bear in mind this wasn't the greatest SA team.

For mine, Delean was the genuine crumbing goal kicker out there today - got in really good positions, he probably will go 15-20 but if he falls through we definitely should be looking. Sanchez was good in the first half (two goals) and a better kick than O'Driscoll; O'Driscoll was probably the hardest runner on the ground though and setup a bit of stuff in the second half - both are interesting but for mine more sort of pick 35 onwards.

26 possessions to Daniel Curtin as a massively tall midfielder that took I think 6 tackles as well stood out for mine as well as Edwards dominance in the ruck and generally around the ground. Clay Hall was also dominant in the centre and his kicking was pretty reasonable and Hardeman off half back was very good without being dominant. Also Tholstrup had his moments with high half forward attacks on the ball and good delivery but didn't make it onto the scoreboard. Livingstone was good in the first quarter but disappeared after that.

But let's bear in mind this wasn't the greatest SA team.
Glad to hear O'Driscoll and Sanchez are possibly pick 35 +
I think Clay Hall is a hard running midfielder we could use. Hardeman looks great
Not the greatest SA side but these are the many if the same WA players that stood out against the Allies imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to hear O'Driscoll and Sanchez are possibly pick 35 +
I think Clay Hall is a hard running midfielder we could use. Hardeman looks great
Not the greatest SA side but these are the many if the same WA players that stood out against the Allies imo.
With our pick selection we should be looking at the WA boys.
Hall would fit our midfield perfectly when Fyfe and O’Meara are gone or in
decline.
I like he played wing as a junior, but the other boys all sound reasonable.
After Henry’s game against the Bombers I still think he will replace Walters.
Which includes midfield minutes, the same as Sonny at his best.
Forward line of Amiss, Treacy, Jackson is good enough for a flag.
Just need to ensure a hardness at the contest, it’s really our only Achilles.

Jed Walter looks like a phenomenon.
Charlie Curnow like and he’s already as big as him. Eagles would have been thrilled to access him if he was in the open draft. It’s also kinda funny that’s he’s an Eagles fan 😂
It’s beyond horseshit that Gold Coast get access to him coz of their silly academy.
3 academy guys in the top 12-15 heading to GC - farcical 😡

Charlie Curnow like and he’s already as big as him. Eagles would have been thrilled to access him if he was in the open draft. It’s also kinda funny that’s he’s an Eagles fan 😂
It’s beyond horseshit that Gold Coast get access to him coz of their silly academy.
Yeah it is too much.

The AFL want GC and GWS to succeed and they will trample over our bones if needed to get it done. They don’t give a flying cuck about us

In all likelihood Gold Coast will bleed talent in the next 5 years because they have too much top end again. Wouldn't be surprised, for example, if King leaves next year.
I’d agree with this.
However I wouldn’t be surprised if they get an extra million in their cap over everyone else. Nothing would surprise me at this stage.

I forgot we held an early second round pick this year, so maybe the draft isn't quite as irrelevant for us as I thought. So here's my top 30 for anyone interested...

1. Harley Reid (185cm mid, Vic Country)
2. Jed Walter (195cm forward, Gold Coast)
3. Nick Watson (170cm forward, Vic Metro)
4. Ryley Sanders (186cm mid, Tasmania)
5. Joel Freijah (191cm mid, Vic Country)
6. Mitch Edwards (206cm ruck, WA)
7. Ashton Moir (188cm forward, SA)
8. Colby McKercher (181cm mid, Tasmania)
9. Zane Duursma (189cm mid, Vic Country)
10. Darcy Wilson (185cm mid, Vic Country)

11. Nate Caddy (192cm forward, Vic Metro)
12. Will Patton (192cm defender, SA)
13. Ethan Read (202cm ruck, Gold Coast)
14. Daniel Curtin (195cm defender, WA)
15. Angus Hastie (189cm defender, Vic Country)
16. Riley Hardeman (188cm defender, WA)
17. Jack Delean (181cm forward, SA)
18. Kolstyn Tholstrup (188cm forward, WA)
19. Connor O'Sullivan (198cm defender, Vic Country)
20. Jake Rogers (171cm mid, Gold Coast)

21. Harry DeMattia (184cm mid, Vic Country)
22. Lance Collard (180cm forward, WA)
23. Will Lorenz (186cm mid, Vic Metro)
24. Taylor Goad (207cm ruck, SA)
25. Clay Hall (190cm mid, WA)
26. Will McCabe (197cm defender, SA)
27. Jordan Croft (200cm forward, Vic Metro)
28. Thomas Anastasopoulos (176cm forward, Vic Country)
29. Archer Reid (203cm forward, Vic Country)
30. James Leake (188cm defender, Tasmania)

I still have a lot of questions over this draft. Particularly around the KPPs - other than Jed Walter. I think it'll really open up once the picks are into the teens, which is probably good for us considering where our picks are.

One good thing is that I don't think it's a great draft for West Coast to be rebuilding in. I'm really not sure what I'd do if I was them. Maybe aim for Edwards and Curtin as talls, I wouldn't drop too far though - the next tier of WA guys probably aren't the types that you build a team around.

For us? I'd love Jack Delean as a genuine x factor small forward. I'd steal Lance Collard from West Coast too, although I do rank him higher than most. Riley Hardeman, Kolsytn Tholstrup and Clay Hall will all likely be around that mark too. And I wouldn't rule out Ashton Moir being available either.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back