2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently interest around Jack Martin returning to qld, you would think more from Brisbane than us surely
Surely no list manager would seriously consider other than maybe a rookie spot?
Past 5 years he's averaged 10 games a year, about 10 disposals a game and about 1 goal a game
That's just terrible whatever way you look at it
History suggests 30yo's bodies don't get better
Does anyone really think he's going to become a 20 game a year forward kicking 20+ goals for the next what??2 years max
Jack needs to seek out the best State League deal he can find and start saving money
Maybe cash in the diamond studs

Well, I never got the vibe that Luko wanted to go.

His contract is a normal average contract for a top 5 pick KPF (even if we argue whether he is one or not). Most clubs would pay 700k+ under the new EB agreement to get a forward who could potentially kick 40 goals.

Honestly, I’m ok with Luko staying. Haven’t hated him with the same passion as some others. When he pulls off a kick it is something to see!

But it comes down to whether Hardwick sees him playing a key role, or a new role, or no role… And whether Luko is cool with that for at least one year.

All the successful clubs have had players stay for less, King already signed for unders imo, luko could smooth over his contract, rowell and definitely ballard next.. Mac as well probably.

The good thing about the academy kids is they will probably take unders to stay.. to a point (davies).

Any concerns over the Bowes & pick 7 trade can be put to bed, we seen this coming a mile away and made preparations early.

West Coast: Jack Carroll
Gold Cost: Pick (West Coast)
Carlton: Alex Davies (inside mid with pace)

Fremantle: Jack Martin
Gold Coast: 4th round Pick
Carlton: Malcolm Rosas (small forward with pace)

I know we laugh but these posts from Carlton posters actually get likes!

We lose a contracted decent player in Rosas AND a restricted player we want to retain in Davies
Our net is a 4th round pick and whatever Carlton gives up for Carroll-probably 50-60?
Good Lord
Do they actually consider what use 2 picks in the 50's 60's are worth ?
It is Carlton though
They do win the entitlement premiership every year

Lukoooooooo staying

Inject it into my veins let’s gooo
Some water to go under the bridge, but I hope so. he is better off staying. Dimma can shape him into the best version of himself.
With Walter and Read both a WIP, you need someone that is capable of putting regular scores on the board if you want to challenge for finals. And with Rosas going, I wouldn't be pushing more talent out the door. Just work through a compromise with his contract.

Some water to go under the bridge, but I hope so. he is better off staying. Dimma can shape him into the best version of himself.
With Walter and Read both a WIP, you need someone that is capable of putting regular scores on the board if you want to challenge for finals. And with Rosas going, I wouldn't be pushing more talent out the door. Just work through a compromise with his contract.
Not sure it's the best for Luko to stay long-term. Next year sure, but as Mac, Read and Walter progress, I suspect, he will be one out. Luko can re-assess next year.

Some confusion on Adelaide board 😂 Why would Luko take pay cut, haha. Suns strategy exposed, it's a salary dump, 2nd round pick. Funny.

Last edited:
Not sure it's the best for Luko to stay long-term. Next year sure, but as Mac, Read and Walter progress, I suspect, he will be one out.
But....but....but what if he takes Dimmas demands ( a bit harsh....maybe suggestions ) on board and improves and kicks 50 next year, with Read and Walter going thru 2nd yr blues........what then for Luko?

But....but....but what if he takes Dimmas demands ( a bit harsh....maybe suggestions ) on board and improves and kicks 50 next year, with Read and Walter going thru 2nd yr blues........what then for Luko?
A lot can happen, injuries and so on. I would say we can't play them all at the same time.

Now with Day gone and Casboult probaby too we need some tall depth. I am happy if he stays next year. He is not my whipping boy. Dimma better learn how to use him. Watching some tapes from last year would be useful.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evening Suns. Just on Alex Davies, if he expressed an interest to leave for senior opportunities what sort of pick range would GCS expect back?

You give him 1 more year to see if you can get the best out of him.

If it doesn't come off, just trade him next year instead, there will still be a market for him
If he wants to stay and is willing to take a pay cut to do so then I reckon you give him that chance to prove he does belong in the team. In 12 months from now, the picture should be a lot clearer in terms of his role and whether he's worth keeping long-term. We should also know if Mac has committed to us long-term by then.

Evening Suns. Just on Alex Davies, if he expressed an interest to leave for senior opportunities what sort of pick range would GCS expect back?
Have no idea what they want but i would want your 1st and 2nd rd picks plus a block of flats plus Tasmania......just saying...

Disclaimer: this post has been influenced by copious amts of Leo....:shoutyoldman:.......sorry about that

Well, I never got the vibe that Luko wanted to go.

His contract is a normal average contract for a top 5 pick KPF (even if we argue whether he is one or not). Most clubs would pay 700k+ under the new EB agreement to get a forward who could potentially kick 40 goals.

Honestly, I’m ok with Luko staying. Haven’t hated him with the same passion as some others. When he pulls off a kick it is something to see!

But it comes down to whether Hardwick sees him playing a key role, or a new role, or no role… And whether Luko is cool with that for at least one year.

We haven’t hated him. Just disappointed in the way he played in the back end of the season after sooking it up playing in defence wanting to go back forward then playing like he doesn’t want to be at the club

We all know he has the potential and the skills but he needs to put it all together and get the best out of himself. Too many players in this club just give up when the going gets tough

We haven’t hated him. Just disappointed in the way he played in the back end of the season after sooking it up playing in defence wanting to go back forward then playing like he doesn’t want to be at the club

We all know he has the potential and the skills but he needs to put it all together and get the best out of himself. Too many players in this club just give up when the going gets tough
Dimma should work out a game plan where as Luko uses his super boot from the wing area to kick 70m drop punts into our F50 over the top of the defence or wall that’s been set up.

I remember Ben Graham from the cats used his super boot to kick from full back to the centre circle on the odd occasion to get over the wall that gets set up

How tight are list spots for you guys this year?
Losing an extra 5 rookie spots. So we are back to 42 list spots with Cat B rookies.

Plenty of deadwood to cut/trade etc

Sandy Brock
Oskar Faulkhead
Hewago Oea
Levi Casboult
Jack Mahony
Sam Day
Brandon Ellis
Malcolm Rosas
James Tsitsas
Caleb Graham

That’s 10 players which is the minimum 3 players to draft and 5 list spots lost covered

“Jack is at a really important stage of his career and it’s important for him to know what’s best for his footy as well,” Campbell told this masthead.

“Whilst we want the best for our club we also want what’s best for Jack.

“He’s spoken to a few other clubs – we’re aware of that and we’re OK with him doing that. If he decides that his future is elsewhere, whilst we would be sad we would understand.

“But we also would be more than happy for him to come back and play at the Gold Coast Suns.”

Lukosius is only 12 months removed from a 39-goal season and still has two years to run on his current contract.

Earlier this year, Champion Data rated the 24-year-old as the most efficient kick in the AFL.

His unique skill set has made him a valuable but difficult piece to fit within Damien Hardwick’s puzzle – so much so that last month the Suns coach conceded had not “got the best out of him yet”.

It is a conundrum the Suns are happy to continue trying to solve next season if no suitable offer comes that suits both the club and Lukosius.

“He wants to have a look around and we’re OK for him to have a look around but ultimately there is a business transaction that has to take place as well,” Campbell said.

“It feels like we’re at a reasonable position where it’s a mature discussion between club and player. There are no bridges that cannot be mended.”

Campbell also confirmed that small forward Malcolm Rosas and utility Jy Farrar had been given permission to speak with rival clubs ahead of the trade period.

“They’ve each got a year to go on their contracts and we’ve said to them that they are welcome to have a look around – but again, same as Jack, if it ends up that they remain at the club in 2025, then we’ll get to work and make them better players.”

From a draft perspective, the HS has written this.

GOLD COAST SUNS

Indicative Draft Order: 6, 13, 20, 26, 34, 46, 70

It’s highly unlikely the Suns enter November’s draft with anything resembling their current hand. Pick 6 will likely be traded out in any deal that involves bringing Richmond star Daniel Rioli to the club, while another deal – perhaps involving pick 20 or 26 – will have to be struck to get wantaway Magpie John Noble in the door. If the price is right, the Suns are open to trading Jack Lukosius and Malcolm Rosas away which would again strengthen their draft hand. But with a looming list squeeze, it is unlikely Gold Coast will stack the deck with draft talent this year, unless a serious list cull happens beforehand. The only near-certainty is that Suns Academy star Leo Lombard will be their first draftee. The midfielder, who won a VFL premiership with the Suns as a 16 year old last year, was a joint winner of the Larke Medal as the U18 National Championships’ best and fairest player.

Darcy Macpherson, James Tsitas, Jack Mahony, Sandy Brock, Oskar Faulkhead and Will Rowlands have not been offered new deals by the Gold Coast Suns @zerohanger

- Mitchell Keating

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back