Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

After Round 19 (excluding Gather Round)

HOME CROWDS
Club (# of home games played) = Total (Average)
  • Collingwood (8) = 529,228 (66,154)
  • Carlton (8) = 472,301 (59,038)
  • Essendon (8) = 457,651 (57,206)
  • Richmond (9) = 467,473 (51,941)
  • West Coast (9) = 421,443 (46,827)
  • Fremantle (8) = 363,347 (45,418)
  • Adelaide (9) = 368,035 (40,893)
  • Geelong (9) = 365,728 (40,636)
  • Sydney (8) = 309,853 (38,732)
  • Melbourne (8) = 296,145 (37,018)
  • Hawthorn (9) = 326,779 (36,309)
  • Port Adelaide (9) = 317,025 (35,225)
  • Brisbane Lions (9) = 276,472 (30,719)
  • Western Bulldogs (8) = 238,282 (29,785)
  • St Kilda (8) = 227,072 (28,384)
  • North Melbourne (8) = 188,969 (23,621)
  • Gold Coast (9) = 137,354 (15,262)
  • GWS (9) = 110,952 (12,328)

HOME AND AWAY CROWDS
Club (# of games played) = Total (Average)
  • Collingwood (17) = 1,025,554 (60,327)
  • Essendon (17) = 931,593 (54,800)
  • Carlton (17) = 929,512 (54,677)
  • Richmond (17) = 787,095 (46,300)
  • Geelong (17) = 765,209 (45,012)
  • Melbourne (17) = 749,433 (44,084)
  • Hawthorn (17) = 685,830 (40,343)
  • Sydney (17) = 671,002 (39,471)
  • West Coast (17) = 659,441 (38,791)
  • Adelaide (17) = 648,400 (38,141)
  • Fremantle (17) = 597,112 (35,124)
  • Brisbane Lions (17) = 548,827 (32,284)
  • Port Adelaide (17) = 541,358 (31,845)
  • Western Bulldogs (17) = 530,646 (31,214)
  • St Kilda (17) = 525,625 (30,919)
  • North Melbourne (17) = 452,094 (26,594)
  • GWS (17) = 362,690 (21,335)
  • Gold Coast (17) = 337,060 (19,827)

which is why they went to the Vic Gov for 225m in funding for upgrades and updates in 2018.

True, but as dave10 said, you’d be forgiven for wondering what they spent it on (at least - how it came to that big of a sum).

I’m a big Docklands fan, and I appreciate the parts they’ve spruced up. But I was talking more in terms of capacity/structural changes to the stands (reconstruction vs renovation) - there haven’t been any and likely never will be.

42,215 at Perth Stadium fro Freo vs Demons.
I must have high expectations for Freo now because that is a touch disappointing for mine.
I think it's true most people's expectations for Freo have really increased recently. But this is a good crowd. Second highest ever Freo vs Dees H+A crowd (in either Vic or WA).

I reckon their game against Geelong in a couple weeks could push past 50k though.

With 5 rounds left the total attendance is 6,139,203. We need only another 1,335,520 (267,104 per round) to set a new record. This should be easily achieved.

The more intriguing one is whether we can set a new highest overall average for the season. We're currently sitting on an average of 37,896 which is nearly 1k better than the previous record of 36,996 set back in 2008.

To maintain this record we need a further 1,518,921 or 303,785 per round. This looked a sure thing a few weeks ago, but Collingwood crashing out of contention for even a final 8 spot will cost tens of thousands. I think we'll make it, but only just.

We're not helped by the worst final round for crowds that I've ever seen. Part of it's bad luck but part is awful planning.

They've gone for flexibility in scheduling by playing at as many grounds as possible but as a result they've forgone any chance of the usual surge in attendances due to the importance of the games.

We've got:

Bris v Ess (Gabba) - potentially a hugely important game but it will get roughly the same crowd it would've in normal circumstances
Carl v St K (Dock) - might have importance for Carlton but will get roughly the same crowd it would've in normal circumstances
Geel v WC (KP) - might have importance for Geel but will get roughly the same crowd it would've in normal circumstances
Haw v Nth (York) - could be big for Haw but it's in Launceston
Syd v Adel (SCG) - liable to be a completely dead rubber with Sydney safe in first
WB v GWS (Eureka) - should be a massively important game but it's in Ballarat
Coll v Melb (MCG) - deadest of dead rubbers but might be a retirement game for beloved players
Rich v GC (MCG) - same as Coll/Melb

The one game that should get a boost is the Freo/Port game in Perth which could have massive importance.

We're not helped by the worst final round for crowds that I've ever seen. Part of it's bad luck but part is awful planning.

They've gone for flexibility in scheduling by playing at as many grounds as possible but as a result they've forgone any chance of the usual surge in attendances due to the importance of the games.

We've got:

Bris v Ess (Gabba) - potentially a hugely important game but it will get roughly the same crowd it would've in normal circumstances
Carl v St K (Dock) - might have importance for Carlton but will get roughly the same crowd it would've in normal circumstances
Geel v WC (KP) - might have importance for Geel but will get roughly the same crowd it would've in normal circumstances
Haw v Nth (York) - could be big for Haw but it's in Launceston
Syd v Adel (SCG) - liable to be a completely dead rubber with Sydney safe in first
WB v GWS (Eureka) - should be a massively important game but it's in Ballarat
Coll v Melb (MCG) - deadest of dead rubbers but might be a retirement game for beloved players
Rich v GC (MCG) - same as Coll/Melb

The one game that should get a boost is the Freo/Port game in Perth which could have massive importance.
What if Dusty comes to the rescue and announces his retirement? That gives the Tigers a possible 80,000+ crowd and helps prop up losses elsewhere?

Saturday's Qclash likely to be affected as rail line from Brisbane to Gold Coast is closed, replacement buses instead which will deter a lot of brisbane based fans

So maybe it will remain in the 14-15k range as most previous games

Last edited:
What if Dusty comes to the rescue and announces his retirement? That gives the Tigers a possible 80,000+ crowd and helps prop up losses elsewhere?

Yes, the unknown for the 2 MCG games is all based on those retirement announcements. Possible that Dusty could pull the pin for the Tiges and one or both of Pendles & Sidebottom for Collingwood. Any of those happen and that particular game will get a decent boost.

Looking at MCC sales for Pies Vs Tigers. Sales are quite slow for this game, clearly impacted by form lines. Still lots of reserved seats available on ground level and only selling front third of seats between Q45-48.

Looking at MCC sales for Pies Vs Tigers. Sales are quite slow for this game, clearly impacted by form lines. Still lots of reserved seats available on ground level and only selling front third of seats between Q45-48.

Thinking the game will draw about 55,000. Long gone are the days of when Collingwood and Richmond would draw 85-90,000 against each other.

AFL might be a bit co concerned considering Collingwood and Richmond are out of the race this year and Essendon might miss the finals with only Carlton the afls only hope of drawing 90,000 plus crowds

Thinking the game will draw about 55,000. Long gone are the days of when Collingwood and Richmond would draw 85-90,000 against each other.

AFL might be a bit co concerned considering Collingwood and Richmond are out of the race this year and Essendon might miss the finals with only Carlton the afls only hope of drawing 90,000 plus crowds
Not sure about that, if Essendon miss Hawthorn probably play - and they've drawn 90,000 plus to their last 2 finals and 85,000 plus to their last 5. After a longish drought, they wont have issues filling the MCG. The Hawks have quietly averaged 61,000 to the MCG this year (with games against Carlton and Richmond to come).

Melbourne drew 90,000 plus to their last two finals too, and almost 80,000 to their 2022 QF vs the Swans, another team that probably plays finals if Essendon and Hawthorn miss. Throw in Geelong who have drawn 80,000 to 90,000 regularly to finals against Melbourne clubs (and 78,000 to a PF against Brisbane in 2022) and there is no problem with finals attendances (its probably the AFL’s least concern)

There is more to the AFL than the ‘big 4’ after all…

Last edited:

That’s footy. I think Pies / Tigers gets 63-65k but who’d know. There will be lots of Pies seats vacant. The MCC reserved seat sales are actually not that far ahead of Essendon Vs Fremantle which is the following week! Not saying Bombers / Dockers will see a more crowded reserve but just shows how MCC members not greatly engaged in this Sundays encounter. Yet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s footy. I think Pies / Tigers gets 63-65k but who’d know. There will be lots of Pies seats vacant. The MCC reserved seat sales are actually not that far ahead of Essendon Vs Fremantle which is the following week! Not saying Bombers / Dockers will see a more crowded reserve but just shows how MCC members not greatly engaged in this Sundays encounter. Yet!
I think the only saving grace could have been nice weather, but 12 degrees with a shower or two isn't promising.

What is promising is that ticket sales for the Q Clash this weekend on the Gold Coast are travelling very nicely. Looking like it's heading toward the 20k mark which would no doubt be a record vs Brisbane at Metricon and strengthens Gold Coast's already strong year in terms of crowds. And who could blame them? The Suns haven't lost a home game... yet!

Huge for Queensland footy which seems to be showing sustainable growth both in terms of crowds and youth involvement at the grassroots level.

I think the only saving grace could have been nice weather, but 12 degrees with a shower or two isn't promising.

What is promising is that ticket sales for the Q Clash this weekend on the Gold Coast are travelling very nicely. Looking like it's heading toward the 20k mark which would no doubt be a record vs Brisbane at Metricon and strengthens Gold Coast's already strong year in terms of crowds. And who could blame them? The Suns haven't lost a home game... yet!

Huge for Queensland footy which seems to be showing sustainable growth both in terms of crowds and youth involvement at the grassroots level.
I think previous record is in the 15-16s.
With the train line down its going to be an absolute shitshow around the area however.

Im going very early and taking a book and may even buy a footy record for first time in a decade!

Saturday night at the G could be very bad.
Weather is going to be wet all day and then 7 degrees at the start of the game.
GWS wont bring more than 500 people, Saturday nights being terrible for crowds and our Fremantle loss was just abysmal.

It may be our first sub 20K MCG crowd since 2014 but hoping for 22-25K.

Saturday night at the G could be very bad.
Weather is going to be wet all day and then 7 degrees at the start of the game.
GWS wont bring more than 500 people, Saturday nights being terrible for crowds and our Fremantle loss was just abysmal.

It may be our first sub 20K MCG crowd since 2014 but hoping for 22-25K.
The Dee’s drew 28,000 Vs Roos, a replacement game for them. If we assume 20,000 Dee’s fans were among that crowd. It also had the Pink promo support. So, can we still count on 20,000 Dee’s fans to get us to just over 20,000? Fingers crossed.

A new roof sheet doesn’t have to have a 100% transparency though. There would be a product with a happy medium visual light transition, which provides natural light without too much glare.

Marvel is an easy fix.

Open the god dam roof and she gains 15 years in age. Put 50,000 new freshly painted seats with cup holders in and a 3rd row of LED around the top tier and it’s a world class stadium next to a world class transport hub.

We don’t need a bigger marvel we need a smaller one too.

MCG 100K
Marvel 50K
New stadium (AAMI park equivalent)30K

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Marvel is an easy fix.

Open the god dam roof and she gains 15 years in age. Put 50,000 new freshly painted seats with cup holders in and a 3rd row of LED around the top tier and it’s a world class stadium next to a world class transport hub.

MCG 100K
Marvel 50K

I reckon we’ve outgrown a 30,000 stadium to be honest. A 30,000 stadium in effect is for 20,000 crowds (Geelong sell out a 38,000 stadium and struggle to get 30,000). How many clubs now play crowds in front of 20,000 or less (that isn’t a one off)

I can only think of North and perhaps the Saints?

Marvel is an easy fix.

MCG 100K
Marvel 50K

My solution was bulldoze it 😂

Seriously though, you’re right. You can do some simple things to rejuvenate the inside bowl appeal at reasonable cost. I was told by a close friend of mine who was senior in the exec team at Essendon 3-4 years ago that the big spend there recently would see capacity fall slightly. How and why I’m not sure. However, with the wider market for Marvel to include Wallaby fixtures, international soccer, musicals it may still demand those 55,000 seats.

Marvel is an easy fix.

There really isn't anything wrong with Marvel stadium except that it's unattractive.
Simply change the roof to a translucent roof and all of a sudden you have .a light and airy stadium.
Yes, the widespread use of LEDs could easily change the mood and the effects.
Yes, paint some of the concrete to give colour like AFL murals or such like.
Maybe build more concession stands etc around the base of the stadium.
Maybe give space to a restaurant overlooking the game in the upper level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back