Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

I will say being here the crowd looks about 25K

Official crowd
Rich v Saints 21,375
Almost exactly the same as the Haw v StK Marvel game last year, in the same timeslot and round (22,769)

The MCG co-tenant clubs needs to do something to make these Marvel games more attractive.

For starters, they really should give members reserve seating (like the MCG). I know Collingwood do it, and their Marvel crowds are always far higher - even relative to their much larger MCG crowds.

Richmond crowds this year bar the dusty games have been terrible. 20k against a Victorian opposition on a perfect sunny Sunday? They have jumped off big time.

Richmond has just come off not only a dynasty but really a decade of sustained success. They have just had their worst year since 1912.

Have some Richmond crowds been terrible? Absolutely, but we still are the 4th most attended club in the league with a sneaky chance of playing in front of 1 million spectators with an average of nearly 45,000.

By all regards, and I’d need some help with the super star stats and data analysts in this thread, I’m not sure there would be too many better crowd performances from the 18th placed team at the end of the year?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Richmond crowds this year bar the dusty games have been terrible. 20k against a Victorian opposition on a perfect sunny Sunday? They have jumped off big time.
The fans of Melbourne clubs seem to jump off badly, at least compared with West Coast or Adelaide fans. Both are remarkably resilient.

Richmond has just come off not only a dynasty but really a decade of sustained success. They have just had their worst year since 1912.

Have some Richmond crowds been terrible? Absolutely, but we still are the 4th most attended club in the league with a sneaky chance of playing in front of 1 million spectators with an average of nearly 45,000.

By all regards, and I’d need some help with the super star stats and data analysts in this thread, I’m not sure there would be too many better crowd performances from the 18th placed team at the end of the year?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’d say it’d be a certainty. There’s no doubt MCG teams in particular have seen their crowds increase significantly the last 2-3 years post Covid. This is driven by sellout crowds which in more recent seasons have seen much higher pre ticket sales which in effect are ‘locking in’ much stronger crowds for potentially big contests.

Also, most MCG games are seeing crowds spike from MCC members reserve being full for most big encounters. Todays crowd of 84,700 for instance had a full MCC reserve for two clubs not in the top 3/4 most supported clubs for this category of membership. Ditto that Blues / Cats game back in April (?).

So as they say, all clubs are getting a bit of a tailwind which is feeding into some record crowd numbers, certainly record crowd numbers for teams have ‘mediocre or even poor season. This is one reason, also even year, why overall attendances for the league are at record levels.

Also unique to this year the two Dusty ceremonial games which i assume won’t be repeated anytime soon. This all leads to a strong aggregate for the Tigers.

Last edited:
After Round 22 (excluding Gather Round)

HOME CROWDS
Club (# of home games played) = Total (Average)
  • Collingwood (10) = 674,449 (67,445)
  • Carlton (10) = 597,574 (59,757)
  • Essendon (10) = 521,433 (52,143)
  • Richmond (10) = 488,848 (48,885)
  • Fremantle (10) = 470,483 (47,048)
  • West Coast (10) = 460,114 (46,011)
  • Adelaide (11) = 449,035 (40,821)
  • Geelong (10) = 394,667 (39,467)
  • Sydney (10) = 383,735 (38,374)
  • Hawthorn (9) = 326,779 (36,309)
  • Port Adelaide (10) = 354,076 (35,408)
  • Melbourne (10) = 330,258 (33,026)
  • Brisbane Lions (10) = 307,836 (30,784)
  • Western Bulldogs (9) = 271,282 (30,142)
  • St Kilda (10) = 289,886 (28,989)
  • North Melbourne (11) = 241,494 (21,954)
  • Gold Coast (10) = 158,397 (15,840)
  • GWS (10) = 124,220 (12,422)

HOME AND AWAY CROWDS
Club (# of games played) = Total (Average)
  • Collingwood (20) = 1,208,629 (60,431)
  • Carlton (20) = 1,141,664 (57,083)
  • Essendon (20) = 1,035,136 (51,757)
  • Richmond (20) = 902,673 (45,134)
  • Geelong (20) = 854,793 (42,740)
  • Hawthorn (20) = 825,694 (41,285)
  • Melbourne (20) = 816,546 (40,827)
  • Sydney (20) = 781,935 (39,097)
  • West Coast (20) = 761,267 (38,063)
  • Adelaide (20) = 758,339 (37,917)
  • Fremantle (20) = 738,629 (36,931)
  • Western Bulldogs (20) = 638,851 (31,943)
  • Port Adelaide (20) = 636,776 (31,839)
  • Brisbane Lions (20) = 624,287 (31,214)
  • St Kilda (20) = 609,814 (30,491)
  • North Melbourne (20) = 504,619 (25,231)
  • Gold Coast (20) = 426,175 (21,309)
  • GWS (20) = 423,568 (21,178)

I’d say it’d be a certainty. There’s no doubt MCG teams in particular have seen their crowds increase significantly the last 2-3 years post Covid. This is driven by sellout crowds which in more recent seasons have seen much higher pre ticket sales which in effect are ‘locking in’ much stronger crowds for potentially big contests.

Also, most MCG games are seeing crowds spike from MCC members reserve being full for most big encounters. Todays crowd of 84,700 for instance had a full MCC reserve for two clubs not in the top 3/4 most supported clubs for this category of membership. Ditto that Blues / Cats game back in April (?).

So as they say, all clubs are getting a bit of a tailwind which is feeding into some record crowd numbers, certainly record crowd numbers for teams have ‘mediocre or even poor season. This is one reason, also even year, why overall attendances for the league are at record levels.

Another factor specific to the Tigers in this instance is they have 2 marquee fixtures in the first 4/5 weeks, before their season turns to shit.. This would create a higher floor than its by franking strong crowds irrespective of their on field failures to an extent. All food for thought. And finally, unique to this year the two Dusty ceremonial games which i assume won’t be repeated anytime soon. This all leads to a strong aggregate for the Tigers.
Definitely the AFL fixture is designed so that different teams have different floor and ceiling attendances. It doesn't matter how great the Dogs draw, they will never draw more than 800,000 in a season

The MCG co-tenant clubs needs to do something to make these Marvel games more attractive.

For starters, they really should give members reserve seating (like the MCG). I know Collingwood do it, and their Marvel crowds are always far higher - even relative to their much larger MCG crowds.

Agree there should be some forward thinking to make it more enticing but I know for the tiges we don't seem to promote it in anyway.

As dave10 has said many times Richmond has previously gotten very good crowds at Marvel but since Dimma said we hate this place, it has no soul etc the fans just got turned off.

To be fair, there's no such thing as a sunny day at Marvel when they insist on keeping the lid shut tight on the joint. IDK what they need to do, but they need to get spenny and make it possible to get some light in there at all times.

The afl would be breathing a sigh of relief with the current Freo collapse as the Dogs and Hawks could be looking at an MCG clash week 1 of finals.

A couple dodgy results away from the G not getting anything until the GF.

There is a real possibility that the Blues could join the Bombers and Pies on the sidelines come September which is the nightmare that the AFL did not want. The Hawks are now the big hope for them to stay entrenched in the top 8. We need a big MCG final and Hawks being there is a must now..
The most likely outcome is that Hawthorn and WB finish 6th and 7th (in either order), giving us an all Victorian EF. Would be interesting to see whether that sells out: I'm guessing it probably does.

Any one of the big 3 are still a chance to sneak in to the finals, with Freo a chance of losing its last two games. Still, it's not likely to do much for attendances since they'll finish 8th at best. One scenario where this helps is a possible Geelong home final in Week 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most likely outcome is that Hawthorn and WB finish 6th and 7th (in either order), giving us an all Victorian EF. Would be interesting to see whether that sells out: I'm guessing it probably does.

Any one of the big 3 are still a chance to sneak in to the finals, with Freo a chance of losing its last two games. Still, it's not likely to do much for attendances since they'll finish 8th at best. One scenario where this helps is a possible Geelong home final in Week 2.
The last 5 Hawks MCG finals have drawn 86,000 plus - including the Dogs v Hawks Semi Final in 2016.

Any final at the MCG will draw a massive crowd - but I doubt well be in Melbourne (if we make it)

The last 5 Hawks MCG finals have drawn 86,000 plus - including the Dogs v Hawks Semi Final in 2016.

Any final at the MCG will draw a massive crowd - but I doubt well be in Melbourne (if we make it)
This isn't always true, the Geelong vs. Brisbane MCG prelim in 2022 had "only" 77,000 people to it, with the added bonus of the fact the other prelim that weekend wasn't in Melbourne. And this is a prelim, not a week 1 or 2 finals game.

It will be curious to see one day what a North, Saints, Melbourne or Dogs home Prelim vs. GWS or Gold Coast would get if it occurs, especially if the other prelim that same weekend is a blockbuster two big Melbourne clubs game against each other which would get people's preference.

This isn't always true, the Geelong vs. Brisbane MCG prelim in 2022 had "only" 77,000 people to it, with the added bonus of the fact the other prelim that weekend wasn't in Melbourne. And this is a prelim, not a week 1 or 2 finals game.

It will be curious to see one day what a North, Saints, Melbourne or Dogs home Prelim vs. GWS or Gold Coast would get if it occurs, especially if the other prelim that same weekend is a blockbuster two big Melbourne clubs game against each other which would get people's preference.
77,000 for a Vic v non Vic club is enormous historically. One of the most famous PF, Ess v Carl in 1999 ‘only’ drew 81,000. And the Cats v Eagles PF (in 2011) only drew 57,000.

Like home and away games, the AFL is now in a golden era for MCG finals

77,000 for a Vic v non Vic club is enormous historically. One of the most famous PF, Ess v Carl in 1999 ‘only’ drew 81,000. And the Cats v Eagles PF (in 2011) only drew 57,000.

Like home and away games, the AFL is now in a golden era for MCG finals
It’s only been in more recent years the theatre goers have started going to finals en mass. Until then it was more just the two teams fans. Now even lesser drawing clubs are packing out the members reserves and neutrals wanting to experience the finals action. I reckon things changed around the time the Tigers were smashing it and trending.

Not all MCG finals will draw a massive crowd and particularly if Geelong are hosting a Fremantle/GWS type game.

A Dogs v Hawks Elimination final should easily draw 90K with a very very pro-Hawthorn crowd given how the last 15 weeks would have gone if you make it.

The Hawks v Dogs SF in 2016 was the turning point for me, in terms of maximising finals crowds at the MCG. If the Hawks are involved at the G this year, it’s a guaranteed 90,000+ crowd.

Geelong v Brisbane in 2022, getting 77,000 is still a massive result. Potentially could’ve pushed 80,000 if it was played on the Saturday twilight.

The afl would be breathing a sigh of relief with the current Freo collapse as the Dogs and Hawks could be looking at an MCG clash week 1 of finals.

A couple dodgy results away from the G not getting anything until the GF.
Geelong will have a home game or 2 there

The Hawks v Dogs SF in 2016 was the turning point for me, in terms of maximising finals crowds at the MCG.

Yes, I think so as well. Almost every final from that point onwards has massively outperformed any equivalent final from pre 2016.

And nothing brings a finals crowd like a team that hasn't been there for a while. Hawthorn hasn't won a final in 9 years, if they get an MCG one it would be big anyway, and this year it might be the only one on Melbourne so the AFL and MCC will be packed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back