2024 AFL Awards Season...

Remove this Banner Ad

He wasn’t AA in 2020 either - so his AA run has already been interrupted
Thats only cos he missed 4 games in a row to injury that year in a shortened covid year. Was a lock for all australian in 2020 if not for injury.

This is the first year where form was what stopped him. Although the positional shift to midfield half way through the season didnt help as he didnt have a clear defensive post.

umm...... its about the player, not the team.
And if you haven't noticed the ladder went berserk all year.
Umm, if you finish 10th and lost the last 4 games of the year it’s pretty ****ing obvious you don’t have 5 players in the best 40 in the league.

Ummm maybe they should evaluate the metrics they use to decide. And ummmmmm maybe look at what players are doing in those top sides to make them top sides. Ummmmmmmmmmm instead of just looking at players getting cheap touches but not contributing to winning. Um……

It's that time of year again and with what seems like a dozen plus awards it seems to work with keeping discussion in a centralised location

Yesterday it was the announcement of the AA Squad with Jezza, Holmes & Stengle named in the original 40 man squad

Today it's the nominees for the AFLPA Awards; Jezza Cameron, Max Holmes & Tom Stewart have been recognised by their peers for their 2024 seasons by being nominated for the AFL Players Most Valuable Player Award.

The winner of the coveted prize will be announced on Thursday 29 August.

I know there's already been thread a thread discussing the AA Squad - I'm merging it in here to have all this talk centralised to one, easily locatable thread
Assume these nominations come from the club (I know best first year player does). If so does this confirm that these three are leading out Carji?

Assume these nominations come from the club (I know best first year player does). If so does this confirm that these three are leading out Carji?

They may be leading the Carji, but I wouldn't connect the AFLPA nominations with the Carji award - don't forget that with the Carji it's voted by the coaches

The AFLPA MVP is purely player voting:

Voting for the AFLPA awards is a two-stage process, with players nominating their teammates in stage one before selecting from a competition-wide field in stage two.

The awards involve AFLPA MVP, Most Courageous, Best First Year Player and Best Captain.

Our AFLPA MVP nominations last year were Blicavs (6th in Carji), Miers (3rd in Carji) & Stewart (Carji winner)

So there may be some alignment, but I wouldn't read too much into it

Oh…forgot about it being a player vote….that makes more sense to me.

By the way have they announced who the best first year player was for Cats? Assume it was Humphries?

They may be leading the Carji, but I wouldn't connect the AFLPA nominations with the Carji award - don't forget that with the Carji it's voted by the coaches

The AFLPA MVP is purely player voting:

Voting for the AFLPA awards is a two-stage process, with players nominating their teammates in stage one before selecting from a competition-wide field in stage two.

The awards involve AFLPA MVP, Most Courageous, Best First Year Player and Best Captain.

Our AFLPA MVP nominations last year were Blicavs (6th in Carji), Miers (3rd in Carji) & Stewart (Carji winner)

So there may be some alignment, but I wouldn't read too much into it

There are some shockers. Some absolute shockers. From Geelong alone Cameron should not be in the squad, Joe Danniher, Jason Horne Francis, cam rayner, Brent Daniels. Some genuinely horrible selections
Yeah Cameron has been too up and down to be in the squad.

If consistency matters I would say Zac Guthrie would be a better choice from Geelong. Especially when you factor in the handicap that was our clearances/midfield debacle in several games this year.

Yeah Cameron has been too up and down to be in the squad.

If consistency matters I would say Zac Guthrie would be a better choice from Geelong. Especially when you factor in the handicap that was our clearances/midfield debacle in several games this year.
A lot in the AA thread on main board have him in their first 22 now. And given they usually avoid putting Cats players in unless they're impossible to ignore, that says his overall hype may sneak him in.

Cameron, relative to his immense talents, has had another year you could call frustrating. He's had maybe half a dozen stinkers and then another handful where he got a lot right but his conversion was haphazard. His top end games were fantastic and he's managed to churn out impressive numbers, but a basic eye test from most Cats fans wouldn't have him in.

Having the old last game bag always helps, as we saw with Larkey last year.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Most running AA teams I’ve seen throughout the season & then even post season ones have included Cameron - maybe the discussion around here is because we can at times be harder on our own players than we can be when viewing the seasons of those from other teams

Jezza had more shots on goal than any other forward - with improved accuracy, he may well have been this years Coleman medalist

Umm, if you finish 10th and lost the last 4 games of the year it’s pretty ****ing obvious you don’t have 5 players in the best 40 in the league.

Ummm maybe they should evaluate the metrics they use to decide. And ummmmmm maybe look at what players are doing in those top sides to make them top sides. Ummmmmmmmmmm instead of just looking at players getting cheap touches but not contributing to winning. Um……
Or they have 5 quality players and Longmuir should be sacked... Or the rest are spuds.
No issues with us having less, we generally get uncompromising buy in and even contributions from all in the team.

Champion team vs team of champions debate and all that.

Most running AA teams I’ve seen throughout the season & then even post season ones have included Cameron - maybe the discussion around here is because we can at times be harder on our own players than we can be when viewing the seasons of those from other teams

Jezza had more shots on goal than any other forward - with improved accuracy, he may well have been this years Coleman medalist

I agree, that if he had good accuracy he'd be a walk up selection - even with the bad games. Going around 50%, including some of the absolute sodas he missed, really does cost you which is why we are harsh. We're talking about a player that could still be top 3 in the comp if playing at his absolute best all year.

What is undeniable is he is involved with a ridiculous amount of goal scoring chances and gets plenty of the footy in between. Even when he is haywire enough damage is done for opposition to view him as one of the biggest threats in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why I didn't post this here:

When will the AFL All-Australian 2024 be announced?

The 2024 AFL All-Australian team will be confirmed at the AFL Awards Night on Thursday, August 29.

The AFL Awards will also see the announcement of AFLCA Champion Player of the Year, AFLPA MVP, AFL Rising Star, AFLCA Best Young Player, AFLPA Best Captain, AFLPA Most Courageous and AFLPA Best First Year Player.

----

Anyone want to have a stab at the various award winners:

• AFLCA Champion Player of the Year:
  • AFLCA Best Young Player (remember this is based on the collation of the past 2 seasons AFLCA votes):

• AFLPA MVP:
  • AFLPA Best Captain:
  • AFLPA Most Courageous:
  • AFLPA Best First Year Player:

• AFL Rising Star:

If anyone wants to take a guess at the AA Team also, go ahead but I thought just these awards would be a bit easier to look at

• AFLCA Champion Player of the Year: Patrick Cripps
  • AFLCA Best Young Player (remember this is based on the collation of the past 2 seasons AFLCA votes): Harry Sheezel

• AFLPA MVP: Isaac Heeney
  • AFLPA Best Captain: James Sicily
  • AFLPA Most Courageous: Tommy Atkins
  • AFLPA Best First Year Player: Harley Reid

• AFL Rising Star: Ollie Dempsey

• AFLCA Best Young Player (remember this is based on the collation of the past 2 seasons AFLCA votes): Harry Sheezel

• AFLPA Most Courageous: waiting nominees & will update

I agree with everything but i would have Merret or Bont as best Captain

I agree with everything but i would have Merret or Bont as best Captain

The captaincy was the one I most debated, but what swayed my decision is that Carlton & Bulldogs were always expected to be competitive this year, but not Hawthorn - feels like it could be recognition for the season they've had which may well have surprised a few

I agree with most...
Only different guesses from me would be..

MVP: Cribs
Best Captain: Bont
(I could actually swap those two awards and names!)

Sicily best captain…. Haha

Lachie Neale is the best player in the AFL, so he should be cleaning up …. If not then Bontempelli would be a good choice.
Ollie for rising star !

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 AFL Awards Season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back