2024 AFL Awards Season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Zero second ruck option (probably Cripps if they played a game) and zero forward rotation off
the bench.

Ill give them Whitfield as a back rotation... but then 3 rovers fill the rest of the bench (way overkill considering Heeney and Warner are named in the forward line and Daicos on a wing.).

Definitely Stengle could have copped a bench spot at the expense of one of the million centremen in the side.

Slightly disappointing spread there for mine when making up a proper team.
10 midfielders is ridiculous

2022 premiership team now has 5 players with 4 or more All Australian selections.

Dangerfield - x8 AA
Selwood - x6 AA
Hawkins - x5 AA
Stewart - x5 AA
Cameron - x4 AA
Stengle - x1 AA
C.Guthrie - x1 AA

Still got some way to go to catch the insane 2009 team though:

Ablett - x8 AA
Selwood - x6 AA
Scarlett - x6 AA
Enright - x6 AA
Hawkins - x5 AA
Johnson - x3 AA
Bartel - x2 AA
Taylor - x2 AA
Corey - x2 AA
Chapman - x2 AA
Kelly - x1 AA
Mackie - x1 AA
Ottens - x1 AA
Ling - x1 AA
Harley - x1 AA
Milburn - x1 AA
Mooney - x1 AA

17/22 players were All Australian at some point in their careers.

the whole concept is, as they will never play any team.
I don’t mind the concept as a ceremonial thing. I think it’s a nice reward for effort, especially since players who aren’t midfielders will never be recognised with 90% of individual awards

I wish they would just pick the best team in the correct positions, otherwise it is a complete farce and just feeds the whole midfielders are the best narrative.

Plenty of cats big footy posters were spruiking Ollie Dempsey's credentials at the start of the year, I certainly wasn't one of them.

Never would've anticipated he would be rising star before this season started.
Look I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ but… I’m ‘that guy’
GIF by HULU

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpeg
    IMG_0475.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 26
Not sure Stengle not being named in the forward line of the AA team is really that surprising - there's been a number of AA teams published this past week & I've seen Moore named in the forward pocket more often than I've seen Stengle's name

When comparing their seasons, I can understand why Moore got the gig over Stengle

View attachment 2096031
Moore had a better year than Stengle. However it is a joke that the only non key position forward picked was a high forward flanker. Not a single genuine forward pocket or general forward chosen.

Heeney and Warner are midfielders. It's fair enough to pick one goal scoring mid on a flank but it's silly to have them on both flanks. One should've been in the starting midfield or on the bench.

Stengle was the most deadly, team lifting, consistent predator goal sneak inside 50 in the comp. He pressured and worked both ways too. If our ball movement and midfield wasn't terrible at times, he easily would've cleared 50 goals to go with his 20 odd goal assists.

But we needed 10 midfielders picked. In a real team I'm taking the one with the best forward pocket in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a guy who's commonly thought of as an opportunistic crumbing goal sneak, Tyson Stengle can also kick an absolutely beautiful long and accurate set shot.

Jezza Cameron did not have a great season in 2024, although 9 goals in a virtual training drill at the end certainly helped push him up a bit.

I would say he got the AA CHF position due to a lack of genuine competition for it really.

Overall, his last 2 seasons have been a little strange.

A few unbelievably good performances here and there, but many more where he has been average at best, or looks almost lost/disinterested out there.

Ever since he was concussed after his blistering start in 2023, he has just never quite been the same player in my view.

For a guy who's commonly thought of as an opportunistic crumbing goal sneak, Tyson Stengle can also kick an absolutely beautiful long and accurate set shot.

He's also dynamite in one on one marking contests. So many times we will bomb it on his head out on the wing/F50 and he will either mark it or nudge his opponent under the ball and run on to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 AFL Awards Season...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back