Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So whats FOS worth if he's an average accumator?

The premise of FOS is Sam Walsh or specifically elite accumator and elite ball user.

Let's assume he continues his coat talent league form early in the year averaging <20 possesion then what's his worth as a above average accumation (15-23 possesion) + elite ball user?

Jagga is an elite accumator but above average ball user. So he's less risky then FOS.

You would have trouble justifying FOS worth if he's an average accumalator right?

What about Luke Urquhart (EF/WA)? Wasn't he in WA's best players every match? The AA is based on performance right......not a perception of kicking style or effectiveness?
How Luke did not make that All Australian Team has got to be one of the most puzzling non selections I've seen for quite a while in under 18s, just my opinion but two ruckmen in the team? Logan was 2nd best behind Alex Dodson who was a monty, replace Logan with Luke and its pretty close. The centre half forward spot in the end was a no brainer as Jobe played a little bit better than his rivals and got the invite , job well done, but a big sounding out for some guys that are going to make a splash before the year is done and even though they didn't make the All Australian Team watch these boys show glimpses of what they can do:

(1) Kayle Gerreyn: I can't talk him up anymore than what I have since last year, the raw potential for a key forward is there in spades along with his improving ruckwork, when he gets on a list and builds that frame even more plus getting that confidence to take more marks out in front and using his body in key forward battles he could be nigh on unstoppable!

Last year I made the reference of a player he reminded me of, that player was Paul Salmon in his early years as a full forward for Essendon, nothing has changed my mind, he's got everything you'd want or dream for a key forward, what's that, not many goals I hear, one word describes that, circumstances, But stick around because your going to see plenty more of this lad and the common theme will be, how the heck did he slip down to pick ??

(2) Jonty Faull: One word describes his season, unlucky. His forward craft is good but it can get a lot better, in terms of playing a key forward post he has the attributes that will hold him in good stead, but like a lot of key forwards who usually don't peak until their fifth year with of course exceptions to the rule, Jonty might just be the quicker learner. His back injury to start the season was not on the cards but it may be a blessing in disguise as it gave his body time to grow and heal and when he came back, even though he didn't play badly it showed along with Sam Lalor and Finn O'Sullivan that with fitness, nothing beats actual game time!

(3) Jack Whitlock: Jacks presence as a forward has been known for awhile and while some have had doubts on his ability to take more contested marks, then they should look no further than the under 18 championship decider between Vic Country and Vic Metro. Glimpses, that's the key word here, did he show the doubters, you bet your bottom dollar he did, even moving further up the ground at stages to help his team out. Like in the movie "The Little Things", its the little things that get you caught!

DE% of 41.9% not quite as impressive but.
Who cares, terrible point to bring up.
It was blowing a gale and hammering down with rain most of the game, the whole game plan for both teams was get the clearance and smash it forward, and Smith dominated both metrics. The worry was can he do it against bigger bodied men, and the answer we all got yesterday was, yes.

Might not want to search up your boy Drapers 😂
Lalor's my boy and has been for 2 years, but thanks for your interest.

BTW Draper a handy 23 d's 5 clearances and a goal against a Port Magpies team containing 14 AFL listed players, how many AFL listed players in that VFL game vs Richmond?

Last edited:

BTW Draper a handy 23 d's 5 clearances and a goal against a Port Magpies team containing 14 AFL listed players, how many AFL listed players in that VFL game vs Richmond?
Not that it's tit for tat, but not the best question to ask. Williamstown is better than most AFL-associated VFL teams. Also typically bigger-bodied given the lack of first and second year draftees.

The real question is how Jagga's relative disposal efficiency compared to the other mids playing across both teams. That would help tell you how much of it is weather related.

Not that it's tit for tat, but not the best question to ask. Williamstown is better than most AFL-associated VFL teams. Also typically bigger-bodied given the lack of first and second year draftees.

The real question is how Jagga's relative disposal efficiency compared to the other mids playing across both teams. That would help tell you how much of it is weather related.
Draper was going at 75% at 3QTR time but unsure what he finished up with. Jagga went in the 30%’s last night

Draper was going at 75% at 3QTR time but unsure what he finished up with. Jagga went in the 30%’s last night
78% I think in the end.

Jagga went in the 40s with nearly every player last night. Rain was coming in sideways (Williamstown is notorious for shit conditions being right on the water) and Richmond were poor forward of the ball. Only had 4 AFL players and a lot of our best VFL guys are injured too.

Draper went at 55 last week.

Think these 2 are shaping as Richmond's pick at this point I'm leaning Draper but Smith was great last night and the DE% was irrelevant given the conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still feel although it is improving, that clubs look for the wrong thing with players.

Prime example is Jhye Clark in 2022 taken at pick 8. Could not believe it as I didn’t see how he would ever be able to do anything at AFL level with his pace and size. Thought late first rounder at best. This has been proven correct.

Feel the same is happening with Smillie although he is bigger, feel he is just another Will Brodie. In 2016, he was spoken about as a potential pick 1. End up going at 9. I’d have him around pick 10 or so in this draft at best.

Kako for mine should be close to the top 5 based on not only output, but how his game clearly translates to the AFL. Have not seen anyone have him in their top 10 which is more than a surprise.

DE% of 41.9% not quite as impressive but.
Terrible conditions. DE was always going to be iffy.
He did some really nice things as well.
I'd be happy with him at Punt Rd.

I Like Draper, but the Port reserves team are now bottom of the ladder. So they ain't very good.

Where is Pioneers Jobe Shanahan expected to go? Very impressive v Cannons on weekend

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
End of first round likely.
However, he is extremely dynamic and he just sticks his marks so might appeal to particular clubs and be selected in the teens.
I'd rate him ahead of Jack Whitlock IMO.

Last edited:
I Like Draper, but the Port reserves team are now bottom of the ladder. So they ain't very good.
What about the two previous games? He did the same thing and all that after an injury riddled year! Maybe, the question should be, after just three games at SENIOR LEVEL this year, with reduced fitness level and doing what he's doing, what's he going to be like with a good pre-season behind him?;)

What about the two previous games? He did the same thing and all that after an injury riddled year! Maybe, the question should be, after just three games at SENIOR LEVEL this year, with reduced fitness level and doing what he's doing, what's he going to be like with a good pre-season behind him?;)
Can’t stress enough how impressive his performances are given he had 0 preseason, 0 games into him before state champs. Played how he did woefully unfit and returning from a fractured leg, and has gone on to average something like 25d 8 tackles 6 clearances at SANFL level. Can’t even imagine how he’ll be with a full press on under his belt

I still feel although it is improving, that clubs look for the wrong thing with players.

Prime example is Jhye Clark in 2022 taken at pick 8. Could not believe it as I didn’t see how he would ever be able to do anything at AFL level with his pace and size. Thought late first rounder at best. This has been proven correct.

Feel the same is happening with Smillie although he is bigger, feel he is just another Will Brodie. In 2016, he was spoken about as a potential pick 1. End up going at 9. I’d have him around pick 10 or so in this draft at best.

Kako for mine should be close to the top 5 based on not only output, but how his game clearly translates to the AFL. Have not seen anyone have him in their top 10 which is more than a surprise.
To early to tell but looks like 2022 is a very weak draft at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back