Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to feel a little paranoid!
Mate you probably know this but I think you are the furthest poster from what they are all joking about.

For one I don't think you have even attempted a national phantom draft yet which excludes you from points 6 and 8. And whilst you are passionate about the WA players and see and speak of their undersold merits, I don't think I have heard you claim that any of them are better than players in other states.

But Chris25 - I had thought about it but just pseudo-random number generating an order of Twomey's Top 30 in Excel is just a little bit too simplistic - I think people would be better off taking that and using something the standard deviation of the draft positions from posters on this forum for each player and running about 50 simulations. Then get some AI bot to write up some profiles simulated off feeding some comparative AFL player namesets like {Smillie similarities to Bontempelli, Cripps,etc} or {Hamish Davis similarities to Fyfe, DeGoey} because everyone loves detailed (even if not accurate) profiles which tell you that a draftee is an exact clone of some AFL hero.

Mate you probably know this but I think you are the furthest poster from what they are all joking about.

For one I don't think you have even attempted a national phantom draft yet which excludes you from points 6 and 8. And whilst you are passionate about the WA players and see and speak of their undersold merits, I don't think I have heard you claim that any of them are better than players in other states.

But Chris25 - I had thought about it but just pseudo-random number generating an order of Twomey's Top 30 in Excel is just a little bit too simplistic - I think people would be better off taking that and using something the standard deviation of the draft positions from posters on this forum for each player and running about 50 simulations. Then get some AI bot to write up some profiles simulated off feeding some comparative AFL player namesets like {Smillie similarities to Bontempelli, Cripps,etc} or {Hamish Davis similarities to Fyfe, DeGoey} because everyone loves detailed (even if not accurate) profiles which tell you that a draftee is an exact clone of some AFL hero.

It's tiring reading comparisons to the same 3-4 players per position I find.

Phew! I was getting some sweat on the brow for a while. Seriously. The Vic rivalry thing is done on purpose. Rivalries musn't die. Back when I had a proper writing job me and my fellow journo decided during grand final week that we would go to Bundoora on the tram just to see what the burbs look like. There was a shopping centre and a pub out there and we went in and sat down. Within 15 minutes a bunch of Vic locals said to us join us on our table. We are celebrating a birthday, free bar, free food. They were all Collingwood supporters. So kind and had a great night and exchanged some footy stories.....we knew as little about Bundoora as they did about Perth......never forgot it. A memorable night on what was then, the last tram stop.

But I honestly do respect all the people who try to do national lists. Four games per week is my limit. I couldn't watch 4 games from Vic, 2 from SA and 2 from WA plus catching up with AFLQ/NSW - although they are somewhat covered in coates along with Tassie. Too much football can turn a passion into a chore.

A draft with Franklin, Roughead, Deledio, Griffen and Lewis is referred to as weak 20 years later.
For interest sake, I went back and had a look, apart from the 3 Hawthorn legends Buddy, Roughy and Lewis and Lids and Griff, there is barely another bloke inside 30 that I have heard of. The next decent pick (sorry van berlo) is Lecras at 37 Cloke at 39 and Josh Gibson as a rookie. Great recruiting by the Hawks, I still can’t work out how they did it that year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And now you’re a BigFooty draft expert. Nothing left to do now but sit back and let the ESPN cheques roll in.
I did always love Quigs placing a QLD player in the top ten players.
You love to sell some S.A talent here and there.

It has been interesting over the last few years, spending less time reading BF while still watching and hearing about junior footy. I've found my "thoughts" on certain players are way different to BF.
Then again, this should be one of the better years to throw up an interesting BF mock draft/rankings list.
I can see the arguments for a number of players going at pick 1, let alone who will make the top 10/20.

There is interesting depth at all positions other than maybe rucks this year. Not many standouts, but plenty of players with AFL attributes.

!st round methinks...

Alex Dodson on fire this morning 32 Disposals, 34 Hit Outs, 10 Clearances in a 1 point win by Sturt U18's.

View attachment 2060297
Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Warburton looked comfortable at vfl level in his first game
Gathered up 15 disposals, 7 contested, 3 clearances. Seems to use the ball use, makes good decisions.

Jagga Smith (went up against Fin Macrae) had 27 disposals,4 clearances

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back