No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

idfgaf who the entertainment is but would hate for us to go down the American path in having 16 yr olds taking up half the ticket allocation purely to see the entertainment whilst everyone already struggles for GF tickets.

Americans are simpletons who get excited by bright lights and loud noises, so they embrace the idea of selling out their sports for entertainment/pop culture (although it sadly looks like our young female cohort has been influenced with the antics we saw when Taylor Swift came). We're different here in Aus and very much value our game above the latter, so imo there is absolutely 0 benefit in spending millions on entertainment, it does not serve current fans of the game and it doesn't really peak any interest elsewhere. I highly doubt the actual GF game itself will have any extra eyes on it because of Katy Perry or anyone else.

idfgaf who the entertainment is but would hate for us to go down the American path in having 16 yr olds taking up half the ticket allocation purely to see the entertainment whilst everyone already struggles for GF tickets.

Americans are simpletons who get excited by bright lights and loud noises, so they embrace the idea of selling out their sports for entertainment/pop culture (although it sadly looks like our young female cohort has been influenced with the antics we saw when Taylor Swift came). We're different here in Aus and very much value our game above the latter, so imo there is absolutely 0 benefit in spending millions on entertainment, it does not serve current fans of the game and it doesn't really peak any interest elsewhere. I highly doubt the actual GF game itself will have any extra eyes on it because of Katy Perry or anyone else.

Not sure many will be buying a ticket to the game based on the entertainment, nor even able to get access to tickets.

Think the idea is mainly around the TV audience.

I completely agree that Katy Perry is a dud act which is where this conversation started, but the general idea is to get more eyes on the TV for the act who will then potentially continue watching the game itself.

At least Americans have a broader music taste than Australians who can’t look outside the box or media for new music

Not sure many will be buying a ticket to the game based on the entertainment, nor even able to get access to tickets.

Think the idea is mainly around the TV audience.
A large cohort of Superbowl attendees are there purely for the half time show, it's hoards of 14 yr olds when the camera pans to the audience on the ground during the show. I'd trust that we wouldn't get to that point, but have reservations after seeing the Taylor Swift antics.

It's more of a read the room argument from most anyway - It's pretty clear which cohort certain pop stars appeal to, and we can pretty safely assume the Katy Perry and a few other female pop stars don't really cater to the majority, hence everyone turning up their nose.

At least Americans have a broader music taste than Australians who can’t look outside the box or media for new music
Agreed, it's about time everyone ditched the radio music and tuned into true music for the soul - progressive trance. If Above & Beyond performed at the half-time show the players would automatically lift to another level in the 3rd qtr and we'd see football played on a frequency never seen before.

Americans are the ones who create the box with their generic rubbish lol. I don't blame Americans for having shit taste because they're already born handicapped, but i do shake my head at Aussies who think it's Aussie to listen to Luke Combs around a campfire wearing an Akubra. Very cringe.

Last edited:
A large cohort of Superbowl attendees are there purely for the half time show, it's hoards of 14 yr olds when the camera pans to the audience on the ground during the show. I'd trust that we wouldn't get to that point, but have reservations after seeing the Taylor Swift antics.

It's more of a read the room argument from most anyway - It's pretty clear which cohort certain pop stars appeal to, and we can pretty safely assume the Katy Perry and a few other female pop stars don't really cater to the majority, hence everyone turning up their nose.

Good thing I was talking about the AFL GF then which is incredibly hard to get tickets to for the actual members of the two teams competing, let alone the general public.

Perry doesn't cater to anyone, which again was my original point. It's as if people are taking a stance and arguing it despite no one offering a counter point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thing I was talking about the AFL GF then which is incredibly hard to get tickets to for the actual members of the two teams competing, let alone the general public.

Perry doesn't cater to anyone, which again was my original point. It's as if people are taking a stance and arguing it despite no one offering a counter point?
You’re the one that’s ****ing arguing 🙄

If you don’t want me to reply your posts, stop being an argument prick! Simple

Says the one who tagged me into a post about Taylor Swift in a discussion with someone else..

Calling me a prick is nice and classy too so for a second time I'll suggest the conversation move to the off topic thread if you really want to continue it.

It's a discussion about music, no need to get so worked up.

Katy perry is an odd choice for a grand final. Robbie Williams was good, the crowd could sing a long with him. In fact he was the highlight of the day!

It's a gladiatorial spectacle and we've got Katy perry lol. Hope she gets cancelled. It's not the target audience for this game.

Just play sweet disposition on repeat.

Katy perry is an odd choice for a grand final. Robbie Williams was good, the crowd could sing a long with him. In fact he was the highlight of the day!

It's a gladiatorial spectacle and we've got Katy perry lol. Hope she gets cancelled. It's not the target audience for this game.

Just play sweet disposition on repeat.

I suspect she's a cheap choice and the 50-something year olds at the AFL think, like some in this thread seem to, that she's the biggest icon in pop. Probably surprised they got her so cheap and patting each other on the back.

She'll play Teenage Dream, Roar, and I Kissed a Girl, throw in one of her new songs, and that'll be it.

Says the one who tagged me into a post about Taylor Swift in a discussion with someone else..

Calling me a prick is nice and classy too so for a second time I'll suggest the conversation move to the off topic thread if you really want to continue it.

It's a discussion about music, no need to get so worked up.
What? I tagged Robbieando

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back