AFL Grand Final 2024 AFL Grand Final - Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

100%, that whole co captain garbage because nobody stood out as a leader nothing has changed.
One day we might find a leader / play maker like Nathan Cleary. Once again tonight when the match was on the line in the NRL PF, Cleary sets up a critical scoring opportunity and changed the whole momentum. And not just once, but multiple times.

We have been top 4 in 4 of the past 5 seasons. We've had the opportunity to get plenty of finals experience. Unlike Brisbane who have become hardened and are now a great finals team, we continue to wilt under the pressure of the occasion and are if anything actually getting worse at playing finals by the year.

This won't be popular but until the entire club collectively looks at itself in the mirror and says 'we are a loser club' and then resolves to do something about it, nothing will change. And that is irrespective of what happens with Hinkley.
That's the kind of thing Matt Primus talked about, like after Gold Coast when he said we need to delve deep in to the psyche of the club to discover why we produce these results.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

So what you're saying is John Longmire is just about ready to pop down to SA and guide a team to back to back flags?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Try the other state team im the AFL.

My main takeaway from the game is just how well coached and well drilled both sides are, even Sydney despite being completely outclassed today. We are miles off it, such an indictment of our coaching and admin that we are a perennially untrustworthy team with no effective game plan after so long and so many harsh lessons. Utterly depressing.

Brisbane have assembled an elite list by various avenues including the luck of excellent father sons and the academy benefits, good drafting with Dunkley Daniher Cameron etc, plus having an experienced core of low drafts coming thru from there time at the bottom

We have been top 4 in 4 of the past 5 seasons. We've had the opportunity to get plenty of finals experience. Unlike Brisbane who have become hardened and are now a great finals team, we continue to wilt under the pressure of the occasion and are if anything actually getting worse at playing finals by the year.

This won't be popular but until the entire club collectively looks at itself in the mirror and says 'we are a loser club' and then resolves to do something about it, nothing will change. And that is irrespective of what happens with Hinkley.
100% agree. We are actually getting worse at playing finals. The players are spooked. Need a big clean out. And Longmire also needs to go. You can't lose that many GFs & expect things to turn around. They need clean air as much as we do.

Unsure why you say it’s an unpopular opinion - I feel like anyone with half a brain would realise we need to expunge the loser and embrace winners and I’m talking from any club.

Bring in guys like Hodge, Selwood, anyone with success that is articulate and has a clue how to get the job done

I always feel the Brisbane Bears/Fitzroy thing was a complete takeover by Brisbane. Like a vulture on a carcass.

They didn't even pretend otherwise when they got rid of the Fitzroy guernsey, which I personally think was one of the best in the comp during their time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Sydney ever really recover from that rut in the back half of the season? I'm not so sure now
You're probably right and they suffered by only playing 2 games in 5 weeks.
All credit to Brisbane they won it with their defense. Sydney at no stage looked like kicking a winning score.

And winning the middle helped their defense.

Said many times over 15 years or so, our players have to spend preseason with SAS, Navy Seals, Mossad etc
elite forces type training and develop some real leadership umder pressure.
Mossad lol. Let's send them to do some team building with Al Qaeda while we're at it.

I always feel the Brisbane Bears/Fitzroy thing was a complete takeover by Brisbane. Like a vulture on a carcass.

They didn't even pretend otherwise when they got rid of the Fitzroy guernsey, which I personally think was one of the best in the comp during their time.
Fitzroy were a rotting corpse in a way like Norf will be in 30 years more of bottom 3 finishes.

You're probably right and they suffered by only playing 2 games in 5 weeks.
All credit to Brisbane they won it with their defense. Sydney at no stage looked like kicking a winning score.

And winning the middle helped their defense.
Nah you see Brisbane's song says they'll kick the winning score so they just delivered on their brand promise.

On a serious note, you just need to look at who the Swans played in the back third of the season. Brushed away a dead Essendon and the Crows on the eve of finals, ground out a win against Collingwood, pulverised by US, lost to the Dogs, killed the Roos, lost to the Saints, and lost to Freo at the SCG.

You can get more fake 1st than that and Lions showed it.

Could be wrong but I think the Fitzroy supporters that remain see their VAFA? club as the true Fitzroy. At least that's what I was told: BL basically was a Bears rebrand and created this schizo identity not unlike us with the Maggies. I think it'd be much harder to rekindle the connection from the otherside of the country.

This is the crucial difference.

Koch, Richardson, Davies, Cassisi, Wines, Rucci, Curtin, Kornes, Dwayne, and a frightening number of other Port people up and down the chain are more than happy to stand on the laurels of near enough being good enough.

It’s as if they can’t wait to find an excuse and tell a sob story from the perspective of a snivelling underdog that has no business competing at the pointy end, regardless of trifling realities such as draft/trade-capital and resource expenditure, ladder position, home ground advantage, and red hot favouritism.

• Little club from Alberton.
• The fans don’t understand how hard it is.
• Best list ever!/List is no good¡
• When he arrived.
• ‘We Exist To Win Premierships’ is unrealistic.
• How quickly they forget.
• Injuries/suspensions.
• There were TARPS on the SEATS.
• More than a few clubs would kill to be in our position!
• It’s not the SANFL anymore.
• Successful year in terms of win/loss.

Ken having the hide to sell the “pretty brave” narrative as we watch Brisbane stroll away with the flag despite a cavalcade of setbacks, is the purest microcosm of everything that’s wrong with Port’s approach versus elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final 2024 AFL Grand Final - Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back