AFL Grand Final 2024 AFL Grand Final - Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane really struggled in finals first under Fagan. But guess what? They kept making them and got better and better. Six straight years of playing finals really paid off for them this year.

From 2015-2019, the muppets in charge of our club were saying “finals are overrated”. We’ve never made the finals three years in a row under Hinkley.
Yep but never did they give the idea that just making it was ‘success’ they always seemed gutted after a finals series loss.

Meanwhile Kenny’s boys are just happy to be there. Don’t rain on their parade because remember 2011 And at least we are not ‘enter name of 18th placed team’

Yep but never did they give the idea that just making it was ‘success’ they always seemed gutted after a finals series loss.

Meanwhile Kenny’s boys are just happy to be there. Don’t rain on their parade because remember 2011 And at least we are not ‘enter name of 18th placed team’
Yes, have noticed this as well.

Whenever one of our players mentions the premiership and how it is their aim, it always seems practiced or forced. Like they know it's what they are supposed to say but it's not really a burning issue for them.

Think Rozee (in relation to Luko nominating Port) described it as joining for 'our turn at the premiership' as if it is something just a matter of time away and with a bit of luck we'll surely have one soon. I wonder where he's getting that from.

You're probably right and they suffered by only playing 2 games in 5 weeks.
All credit to Brisbane they won it with their defense. Sydney at no stage looked like kicking a winning score.

And winning the middle helped their defense.
Agree, Brisbane's defense was excellent as was their all ground pressure. Was obvious very early in the game that the Swans were going to really struggle to score. Yet they managed to dismantle us. Ports final series, overall, was shocking. To look at Brisbane's faces as they left the ground at half time. That steely look that winners get & no-one is going to mess with them. Port will never have this under the current regime.

Agree, Brisbane's defense was excellent as was their all ground pressure. Was obvious very early in the game that the Swans were going to really struggle to score. Yet they managed to dismantle us. Ports final series, overall, was shocking. To look at Brisbane's faces as they left the ground at half time. That steely look that winners get & no-one is going to mess with them. Port will never have this under the current regime.

Neales comments at half time, "jobs not done".

Rozee would have said we've done daddy proud.

It'll be Brisbane quite easily imo. I'm talking 40 points plus.

Might be recency bias but I wasn't really impressed with Sydney against us. We won every ball that we needed to, Brisband will do the same except they have a system that will actually get the ball to their forwards.
Well said.
Bruise free prelims are never good prep

Well said.
Bruise free prelims are never good prep

Goes to show that all the uncontested marks they racked up against us was a poor reflection on us and our game plan rather than their superior game plan.
Being able to play exactly the game they wanted to against us was probably the worst preparation they could have had for the Grand Final.

Goes to show that all the uncontested marks they racked up against us was a poor reflection on us and our game plan rather than their superior game plan.
Being able to play exactly the game they wanted to against us was probably the worst preparation they could have had for the Grand Final.

It doesn’t justify. It’s the last game of the season. You must be ready to breath fire.

Gotta give it Leigh Matthews. Success has followed him everywhere. Done it in every way. As a player, coach and now as a board member.
He gets it:

Speaking on Channel 9 program 'Footy Furnace', Matthews says Hinkley's post-match dig at his side would have gone down like a lead balloon and done the opposite of what is needed to turn their recent form dip around. "I've got to say, I don't think it's healthy for a coach to say 'I don't think the team is good enough'," he said.

"I think what you've got to be saying all the time is 'We're not playing to the level we're capable of and that's our problem over the last few weeks and that's what we'll work towards'. Saying you're not good enough are bad words to pop out, it sends a bad message to your players."

It doesn’t justify. It’s the last game of the season. You must be ready to breath fire.

Absolutely, they looked practically invincible in the first half of the season, had a rough patch, looked to be back then fell apart like wet tissue paper on the biggest day. Again.

If Port players put in some of the efforts many Sydney players turned in, they would be publicly eviscerated, especially here. There would be no excuses made.

Absolutely, they looked practically invincible in the first half of the season, had a rough patch, looked to be back then fell apart like wet tissue paper on the biggest day. Again.

If Port players put in some of the efforts many Sydney players turned in, they would be publicly eviscerated, especially here. There would be no excuses made.

My comment wasn't a justification for their performance, but there's no doubt that tough contests are better preparation for big games than walk overs.

He gets it:

Speaking on Channel 9 program 'Footy Furnace', Matthews says Hinkley's post-match dig at his side would have gone down like a lead balloon and done the opposite of what is needed to turn their recent form dip around. "I've got to say, I don't think it's healthy for a coach to say 'I don't think the team is good enough'," he said.

"I think what you've got to be saying all the time is 'We're not playing to the level we're capable of and that's our problem over the last few weeks and that's what we'll work towards'. Saying you're not good enough are bad words to pop out, it sends a bad message to your players."
Imagine if we could vote Jack Cahill onto our board...

It'll be Brisbane quite easily imo. I'm talking 40 points plus.

Might be recency bias but I wasn't really impressed with Sydney against us. We won every ball that we needed to, Brisband will do the same except they have a system that will actually get the ball to their forwards.

Great call.

The Sydney defence looked genuinely flummoxed that Brisbane insisted on kicking to space for their talls to lead into and smalls to run onto.

When the Lions did bomb long on occasion the Swans back six were in full panic mode and gave up a stack of contested marks to all sizes.

It’s almost as if it pays to use the ball intelligently and not be as one-dimensional and predictable as a metronome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to take step one before you can take step two.

We need to dump Hinkley, dump Davies, dump every other Hinkley, dump any player that can't get with the new program. Bring in people who aren't nepo-babies, who don't accept mediocrity, who respect the history, and who embrace challenge and expectation rather than running scared from it. It takes time but we will never even start on that journey if we can't take the first step.
This is where your wrong pal, step one is get rid of Koch.
Once you do that step 2 becomes an automatic thing.
Your way is removing the lump but the Cancer is still there.
There’s not one shred of evidence that guarantees improvement with Ken gone.
All you have is hope, you hope it will improve….. we hope it will improve.
I want change that gets results, that won’t happen with the way this club is run.

I want change that gets results, that won’t happen with the way this club is run.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Agreed rj, Port will never ever regain that winner take all killer instinct under the current regime, if it remains the same next year with kern as coach and koch as president it will be just more of the same old, same old, and yet another wasted season!

I’ve been saying this for a while. The size of the sack Hinkley thread is way overboard compared to the Koch thread. And the argument that starting with Hinkley as first to go and the others follow is not a guaranteed outcome. I have no idea how you turf a president but I’m convinced having him out first is the way forward. Or him falling on his sword as soon as Hinkley is gone would be the leadership thing to do, as he’s backed him to the hilt and beyond. If Hinkley goes and Koch stays put then I think what you have is a totally self interested and indulgent character running the club that could set us back further than we currently are.

Agreed rj, Port will never ever regain that winner take all killer instinct under the current regime, if it remains the same next year with kern as coach and koch as president it will be just more of the same old, same old, and yet another wasted season!
I couldn't believe my ears earleir when I heard Koch say that Kenny deserves a premiership.

Lol if there's anyone who doesn't deserve a premiership, it's a bloke whose been given 12 attempts and not come close!

Didn't watch the GF yesterday and haven't been following any of the fallout but I'm assuming the media are having a field day about Longmire's GF record while conveniently overlooking the donut-shaped elephant in the room?
you guessed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final 2024 AFL Grand Final - Sydney Swans vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back