Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t know where I was looking at the time but I missed the Heeney hit on Webster. Couldn’t understand why Heeney was being booed. Just watched the mini - cannot understand how the umps managed to miss it ( there are four of them afterall 🙄) and there was no one else nearby. What a shocker of a non-decision leading to the goal.
Any money he’ll get off?
Will get a week fight it and get off precedent this year on it

Absolutely. I like Chad Warner and fair enough for his smiling when it looked like they were well on top but bloody hell it was good to wipe that smile off his face.

I look forward to our club wiping the smile off a few pundits' faces in the coming years
From this point….We smashed them
Tried to run past one got tackled just got the kick then 5 of our guys nailed him when he tried to beat them all—-should have handballed.

Selfish prick…trying to be a hero

View attachment A682D82D-5B7E-45B5-8CB0-A49393DBB566.mov

If we got on a roll then we'd be fine - as long as we didn't let it affect our list management strategy.

IMO the problem with finishing 6th to 10th isn't that the picks are particularly bad, but that then the club thinks "oh we're close" and starts to top up. The teams that have done the best at continually contending without rebuilding don't do that, they just go to the draft every year, get talent in, and develop them consistently.

Regardless of whether we win a few more games, we still need to draft and not switch into trading mode. Honestly I don't think we should ever be in trading mode.

No I think the issue actually is having access to high end picks.

The club has been consistent since Ross took over that we need to keep building through the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic 2nd half.

Decision-making and skill exection first class.

Shows what a difference an improvement in method makes.

Hopefully puts an end to all the list doomsdayers.

We've underachieved massively this year.

We can mix it with anyone if we make better decisions and execute our skills.

Massive onus on our coaches now to make sure what we saw in the 2nd half against the top tramnkn the cokpnisny just an aberration.
Nice bounce back by you

I am sure it's been mentioned but the development work Carroll has done with young Pou is remarkable. It was clear he was winning the hard ball but was only handpassing over kicking, reducing his impact. He also didn't know where to run to get the cheap ball.
Both have been worked on and he was instrumental in today's win.

Development is crucial to long term success.

It’s important to understand while this was a great win, there are no guarantees we replicate this performance against the Crows next week.

That’s our frustration to a degree. We don’t know what side is going to show up when it comes to skill execution.

If we lose next week, the same loud voices will sprout their negativity and normal programming will resume. Great game from Pou, but don’t be upset if he doesn’t have 26 and 1 every game until the end of the season.

The kids are good. I have no doubt about that. But we still need to improve our midfield. All we can do is build a winning culture going into 2025. We have no idea what Battle is doing and what our draft hand will look like.
Is that you Tom morris..?

Hi all, i had all but given up on Bigfooty due to all the whining bitches on here constantly criticising the club I love… and the club I appreciate so much because it is the unlucky club and it is the battling club and it is the world-against it club!
But I felt compelled to come back to this forum to send a message to all you keyboard warrior clowns who felt the need to give Dougal Howard and Jack Higgins and Brad Hill and any of our other soldiers a hard time…
and the message is…
Do yourself a favour…
Go out tomorrow and shout yourself a tub of vasaline (petroleum jelly for the tight arses - pun intended)
Then go and F$&k yourself!
And then buy yourself a Geelong membership and have a great life 😁🥳
Thank you ❤️

Finally a chance to sit down after today's game. I've been saying all year that it's only a matter of time for that big breakout game and today was the beginning of something special for Pou. Its plain to see for any of us who watch him train that this performance was pretty much a given.

Liam Henry is becoming the barometer for our team, his evasiveness, speed and skill between the arcs really turn it on for us. Consistency is the key for him, but he is definitely our spark.

Arie and Wilson both stood up at various times today. Not high numbers, but they always seem to be impacting the game.

We are a different team without Max, same as the beginning of last year - we just function differently. Maybe we are too Max centric, but we play as a better forward unit without him. Hopefully it gels next year when he is back.

Dougs, I've been a huge supporter of his for as long as he's been here. Hell I've actually gotten into verbals with our fans at games who are paying out on him on more than one occasion. I'll say this again, we are a better team and Wilkie/Battle are much better players with him in the side. Wilkie obviously had a great game, his dominant games are when Dougs is playing well.

Nas, again, tended to bite off more than he could chew at times but more than made up for that odd stuff up. His strength, evasiveness and obvious footskills are elite.

Bonner, not to be negative but he was not missed today. Windy injury is a shame, opens the door for Garcia or (if fit) Dow.

Sharman did very well, kicked a couple but never stopped presenting and contesting. He's not in the same league, but his workrate and work up and down the wings was Roo like at times today.

Special mention to Hill, bloke never stops running and presenting.

It's funny watching a game not caring about a W. We played as well as we have all year today, which was really great to see. It was far from perfect with some dumb footy at times. For example, get someone on both forward and defensive goal lines, but we showed today that when we are really on we are as good as anyone.

With games against West Coast, Adelaide and North to come, pick 4 looks like it will be a distant memory.

You lot have a player in Philippou far out

A bit of history.

In the 2022 draft, Essendon had pick 4, Saints had pick 10.

That draft was set in stone except for two players. Tsatas and Phillipou.

The player Essendon didn’t draft was the player who was going to slide to Saints. Pick 4 would slide to pick 10.

He did. Phillipou was that player.

It was widely reported that Phillipou told Essendon in their interviews with him that they would always regret not drafting him if they overlooked him. He advised them not to make that mistake. Confident young lad.

Dodoro loved Phillipou’s confidence but decided Tsatas was the safer option at the draft table. So he overlooked Phillipou.

Oh dear, how sad.

Today the lad announced himself to the football world. He seems like he’s set himself a path to become one of the best players in the game. And he’s only 19. I wouldn’t bet against him.

IMO he will become a one club player, club captain, and hopefully a Premiership player. And that the decision to overlook him at the draft will be one that will always haunt Essendon.

The lad seems to have something special about him. He will only get better from here.

Hi all, i had all but given up on Bigfooty due to all the whining bitches on here constantly criticising the club I love… and the club I appreciate so much because it is the unlucky club and it is the battling club and it is the world-against it club!
But I felt compelled to come back to this forum to send a message to all you keyboard warrior clowns who felt the need to give Dougal Howard and Jack Higgins and Brad Hill and any of our other soldiers a hard time…
and the message is…
Do yourself a favour…
Go out tomorrow and shout yourself a tub of vasaline (petroleum jelly for the tight arses - pun intended)
Then go and F$&k yourself!
And then buy yourself a Geelong membership and have a great life 😁🥳
Thank you ❤️
Welcome back George

Just saw the Heeney punch to Webster.

Holy hell we havec4 umpires just for this foul play.
Total.and utter incompetence. Heenyy gets the goal, then another with Webster off.

Absolutely disgraceful from the umpires. I know there is an edict for the AFL.to give the booster clubs the rub of the green, but those two goal.almost cost us the game.

When will the AFL be brought to account over the preferential treatment these rugby state clubs ALWAYS get?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tonight on the Fox Footy program “First Crack” they were mulling over how the Swans have a habit of successfully appealing to the AFL Tribunal to overturn suspensions handed out by the MRP.

Especially if one of their players is in Brownlow contention or if the suspension involves a major final.

Heeney punched Webster (behind the play) in the face. Smashed his nose. Causing bleeding and a possible fracture. Causing Webster to leave the ground and to gift Heeney 2 easy goals. Rewarding the perpetrator of the cowardly act behind the play.

If Heeney escapes suspension then the AFL judiciary is officially corrupt.

He should get at least 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight on the Fox Footy program “First Crack” they were mulling over how the Swans have a habit of successfully appealing to the AFL Tribunal to overturn suspensions handed out by the MRP.

Especially if one of their players is in Brownlow contention or if the suspension involves a major final.

Heeney punched Webster (behind the play) in the face. Smashed his nose. Causing bleeding and a possible fracture. Causing Webster to leave the ground and to gift Heeney 2 easy goals. Rewarding the perpetrator of the cowardly act behind the play.

w1jfKFE.gif

It IS corrupt, so not expecting anything more than a fine, even though it was pretty obviously behind the play, high (you know, MRO, because it was the nose) and must be medium contact because it was bleeding.

Good that Ross mentioned the Heeney incidents. Not sure it’ll help though. He’ll get off on the Barry Hall/Moose McGuire precedent.

Will make a mockery of their specific rule change for such incidents if he does. It ticks all the boxes to be a one week suspension. Last year incidents where players were trying to get separation from an opponent were graded as careless now they are graded as intentional.
I hope I'm surprised but, well, you know.

Was finally able to watch the replay and the entire game in full.

How good to see Sharman bring his VFL heroics to the AFL - not only kicking his couple of goals, laid some ripping tackles and took his usual marks at important times - but it was his spoil that killed the ball in the sydney f50 in the dying seconds. Bloke is a natural and needs to keep his spot.

The way a forum generally works is that people state their opinions & then others reply by either agreeing or disagreeing.

I’m supremely confident that the trade Max/Max is a dud crew will wind up looking like absolute dills.

Until then, fire away my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, thanks for clarifying what I already know about forums...surprised you knew, with how you carry on sometimes, but that's not really my problem. Anyway good on you for making progress and evolving as a human being 👏
When Max changes my mind, I'll be sure to concede, as I have done in the past (Sinc's) however when I'm right (Billings) I will be gracious in victory over the dills that couldn't see the woods for the trees.

Nonetheless, hope you're enjoying the win 🍻

Last edited:
I don’t think Wilkie has got enough love. He was absolutely massive all game.

26 disposals, 14 marks and 100% game time. Back to his All-Australian best.

The most pleasing thing for me about Pou’s game was he had 21 kicks. His leg is a weapon and he's been way to handball happy in the past.

Wilkie was magnificent. That one-on-one mark he took against Heeney at the end was elite.

Must be our next Captain.

I believe the response I’m looking for is “fair dinkum”. I’m still in shock; you just never know with Saints.

Just when as a supporter you’re about to ECO, the club drags you back in with a win like that.

Suddenly every game looks winnable again.

It IS corrupt, so not expecting anything more than a fine, even though it was pretty obviously behind the play, high (you know, MRO, because it was the nose) and must be medium contact because it was bleeding.

Good that Ross mentioned the Heeney incidents. Not sure it’ll help though. He’ll get off on the Barry Hall/Moose McGuire precedent.

If that happens then the Swans really are “charity cheats”.

Heeney splattered Webster’s nose all over his face. Possibly broke it. Caused bleeding 🩸 and forced his opponent from the field.

And he did it behind the play.

As far as I’m concerned it doesn’t matter if it was an accident. He should have a nice holiday. There can be no other outcome.

Just watched the replay. So much better the second time after a win. Many heroic acts. Bad luck, and bad umpiring both ways really. Marshall’s bad bounce could have been tragic.

What I was most pleased about was the contribution of all the young guys. Particularly in the last quarter. All of them did some great things. Mistakes galore, but followed up with real intent to rescue the situation.

Ross’s post match conference quite instructive. They are playing the long game with culture and education. I am an optimistic supporter, but it might be further along than even I think.

Am sure there are many road bumps ahead. But I can see where we are going. Brilliant win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back