Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like to see him slim down over the offseason and go back into the midfield.

We don’t really need him in defence and it seems a shame to waste a mid when we’re crying out for them. It’s been an unusual path for him but now he’s settled at the saints I’d love to see him have a huge preseason.

How long are we going to think he's a good midfielder on the back of a TAC cup.

We aren't crying out for really ordinary midfielders, and Stocker has done nothing to suggest he would be an above average midfielder.

I agree, and such a great story. The Richo years are best forgotten but one "significantly pleasing" thing that happened round then was the club helping out Jimmy's family when their home burnt down in the bushfires in the first few years of his AFL career. That act bought his unwavering loyalty like Don Corleone adopting the little orphan who became his consigliere Tom Hagan.

“They told me to take as much time as I want off, to stay down there with the family. They have been really good. The club sponsors have really helped out with blankets and clothes as well as fund raising. They have been a massive help.”

Webster said he was overwhelmed at the support he had received from so many at the club.

“It’s unreal. I don’t know what to say really.

I could swear this has been the same comment on rinse and repeat for some time - the club are not culling Battle, if he wants to stay, he will stay.

You sign up the players you want to sign up. The club are either trying to put a line in the sand and are not moving or are happy to let him walk for the right compensation. I think like Gresham, last year it's that they would like to gamble at the draft with a high pick.

The free agency compo is another way to funnel good players into the stronger clubs. There is a temptation to go gambling when clubs are struggling to make ground but the irony is that moving good players into better sides means that they are further away again.

Against Collingwood he was very good as the outlet mark on the wing. Hos contested marking there is great. He also is a pretty good field kick.

He moves around a lot more when further from goal. To me we are asking him to camp inside 50 because the coaches would be well aware of it if we are.

Stocker - who I genuinely like as a player - just seems a bit off the boil this year compared to last...not by much, but just enough for him to stay in the VFL. His position is covered at the moment, and
the current formula seems to work. We should keep it going for as long as it holds up, or someone gets injured.

Stocker is probably in competition with Webster and Paton. I like Stocker too but his disposal is a bit inconsistent for a back man. I find it weird how people lose it with Bonner and his missed kicks which are usually a lot more high risk and harder but let Stocker off when he is a much worse kick even when doing basic passes. I guess we love a contested player more than a soft outside runner.

We don’t really need him in defence and it seems a shame to waste a mid when we’re crying out for them. It’s been an unusual path for him but now he’s settled at the saints I’d love to see him have a huge preseason.

Seems crazy not to play him in the mids at Sandy. Take Jones' role as the back up mid. Sandy could use him there.

Stocker is probably in competition with Webster and Paton. I like Stocker too but his disposal is a bit inconsistent for a back man. I find it weird how people lose it with Bonner and his missed kicks which are usually a lot more high risk and harder but let Stocker off when he is a much worse kick even when doing basic passes. I guess we love a contested player more than a soft outside runner.
Because stocker has a defensive side to him and you dont just blow on to push him over

You sign up the players you want to sign up. The club are either trying to put a line in the sand and are not moving or are happy to let him walk for the right compensation. I think like Gresham, last year it's that they would like to gamble at the draft with a high pick.

The free agency compo is another way to funnel good players into the stronger clubs. There is a temptation to go gambling when clubs are struggling to make ground but the irony is that moving good players into better sides means that they are further away again.

I don’t think it’s as simple as signing up the players you want to sign up. There’s a cap to be managed, you just don’t keep raising the bar in hope he’ll sign, noting he is an UFA. Battle has a contract in front of him which by all reports is quite competitive across the market. He’ll sign if he wants to stay.

He moves around a lot more when further from goal. To me we are asking him to camp inside 50 because the coaches would be well aware of it if we are.
He a goal kicking full forward. A good contested mark. Lost some confidence in his body and has shit delivery. He will be back to his best.

I don’t think it’s as simple as signing up the players you want to sign up. There’s a cap to be managed, you just don’t keep raising the bar in hope he’ll sign, noting he is an UFA. Battle has a contract in front of him which by all reports is quite competitive across the market. He’ll sign if he wants to stay.

Usually you'd sit down with his manager and work out exactly what the terms he'd accept are. The Hawks won't be offering a $1 million pa x 6 or anything crazy. If you let him walk over $50k or something it's bad list management. You don't want to be a push over but you don't want to be a **** wit either.

I hope not. I've always had a soft spot for Ronnie, I know he has some bad moments, but I think he tries his damnedest every game...and he works bloody hard with the tools he has. He's a good soldier to have in the team, and is at the very least solid depth.
I certainly wouldn't be cutting him that's for sure.
He has actually improved every year he’s been on the list - which is all you can ask. Not every player is a superstar but if he plays every game like he did in the weekend he’ll be more than a useful player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. It’s in the coaching. Maybe they need to mix it up a little more. Both he and Sharman can play both roles. Change it up a little mid game to confuse the defenders.

He has actually improved every year he’s been on the list - which is all you can ask. Not every player is a superstar but if he plays every game like he did in the weekend he’ll be more than a useful player.
He's a heart and soul player, grew up supporting the club, gives 110% most weeks. You can't turn your back on players like that who would improve the culture.

He's a heart and soul player, grew up supporting the club, gives 110% most weeks. You can't turn your back on players like that who would improve the culture.
And he’s still young. Plenty others that should go before him.

Last round, Carlton needs to beat us to make top 4.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE
I'm salivating already !!!!!!

Bring it on.

Absolutely detest the Bloos.

;);)

How long are we going to think he's a good midfielder on the back of a TAC cup.

We aren't crying out for really ordinary midfielders, and Stocker has done nothing to suggest he would be an above average midfielder.
You know his journey so I won’t bother going over it. Clearly has more to offer than just a back pocket and if I had my way he’d still be in the side.

Stocker - who I genuinely like as a player - just seems a bit off the boil this year compared to last...not by much, but just enough for him to stay in the VFL. His position is covered at the moment, and
the current formula seems to work. We should keep it going for as long as it holds up, or someone gets injured.
He's had OP most of the year.

He just doesn't quite have the goods to be a full time mid. I'm a fan and he was a rock at HB when not injured. I think that's his place.

He just doesn't quite have the goods to be a full time mid. I'm a fan and he was a rock at HB when not injured. I think that's his place.
If he was to be tried as a mid , VFL would be the place for it. He hasn't played midfield at any level for ages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 AFL Season Round 17 vs Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back