Preview 2024 AFL Season, Round 21; St Kilda Saints v Paddle Pop Bears, Marvel Stadium, Sunday 4th August 4;40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm better than Gresham.
Are you better than the umpires?
We were 20 pts up, with our tails up, 13 into the third quarter against Essendon. (Hold that) now go back to the first few rounds. Remember Draper bragging about dragging the ball in and playing ‘helicopter’ with his arms? Laughing contemptuously with his team mates. The umps had egg all o ee their face. Now back to the game .. They drag the ball under again, but barely, barely… whistle blows. Jack Steele nails it. Coops takes a ripper mark a few minutes later and the Bombers season is over!

If we get too far in front we should take our pedal off the gas, there is a chance we could end up on the same number as wins as another couple of teams.
Don't want to tank, but i don't want us to drop two draft positions on percentage.
F*ck the draft... RTB will only break their souls anyway.

Silly, he'd get folded in half by the bigger bodies. Carlton tried it with Ollie Hollands early this year and it failed miserably

Wilson stays on the outside for at least the next couple of years before he bulks up
lol, folded in half, ok

Im not saying he's going to take the world by storm, more so as an investment for the future

lol, folded in half, ok

Im not saying he's going to take the world by storm, more so as an investment for the future
But there's a right time to do it. Look at what happened to Pou when he got fed to the wolves in the final last year. Absolutely monstered. We've only just started experimenting with Nas in the mids, I wouldn't expect us to do so with Wilson so early

But there's a right time to do it. Look at what happened to Pou when he got fed to the wolves in the final last year. Absolutely monstered. We've only just started experimenting with Nas in the mids, I wouldn't expect us to do so with Wilson so early
I think a 5 minute run on the ball here and there isn't as consequential as you're making it out to be. Also, pou being fed to the wolves may or may not have contributed to his current form, probably didn't help but also may have been a massive driver on his preseason. Exposing more potential stars to the midfield here and there will help us in the long run. Even if it just cements the fact that they need to develop a lot more before they can become a successful part of the midfield rotation

Hasn't been the year we wanted, but looking back, with the weakest midfield in the comp, and then being without Crouch, Dow, even Ross. I can't even fathom this morning how we've won 8 games in this comp that's so "even".
(Saying this now before Neale, McLuggage etc obliterate us tomorrow! Please spare me the "This aged well" comments.)

Here's what I want to see, my man Coops back up last week.

Can it happen?
X1zrbQn.gif

I think a 5 minute run on the ball here and there isn't as consequential as you're making it out to be. Also, pou being fed to the wolves may or may not have contributed to his current form, probably didn't help but also may have been a massive driver on his preseason. Exposing more potential stars to the midfield here and there will help us in the long run. Even if it just cements the fact that they need to develop a lot more before they can become a successful part of the midfield rotation

Probably depends on the player too. It's taken 7 seasons for Ed Richards to push Macrae out of a starting midfield role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not considering the opportunity cost. 5 minutes of midfield for Wilson robs Nas of 5 minutes, or Byrnes of 5 minutes, or someone else of 5 minutes - all of whom are way more prepared for midfield minutes than him. Its the same situation as Owens - you know the player is currently playing well in their current role and that they will be no better in the mids because their attributes don't line up, so there is no point in robbing them and others of that 5 minutes of development

Ok cards on the table time.

I don't want to win tomorrow. We go 6 up on Adelaide and actually go past GC on %.

Even if we got band 1 for Battle (if he goes, reports he doesn't) it will be 6 and 7, if not one frdp at 6.
This is getting serious. Yes winning like against Sydney and killing Essendon is great and good for the players and morale, etc, however one mid top 10 draft in an even draft is not going to propel us up the charts.
We need pick 4 or 5 at the very worst not 6 or 7.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ross is sending shockwaves through the competition. Some teams are moving guys like Hayden Young and Ed Richards from HB to the middle, well Ross sees that and his answer to that is…….Liam Stocker. Would be putting the fear of god into teams with that one.
Yawn.

Stocker is filling a role as the team tagger with Windy and Ross out.

Also with Crouch close to retiring, let's see if a player drafted as a midfielder has a future there.

Man, your post sucks. I can't stress that enough.

I was at that game. and Jimmy O'Dea was innnocent. Did nothing to Greening. I swear by almighty god.
I have read some garbage on here but this takes the cake , how about you tell us who hit him then

I don't want to win tomorrow. We go 6 up on Adelaide and actually go past GC on %.

Even if we got band 1 for Battle (if he goes, reports he doesn't) it will be 6 and 7, if not one frdp at 6.
This is getting serious. Yes winning like against Sydney and killing Essendon is great and good for the players and morale, etc, however one mid top 10 draft in an even draft is not going to propel us up the charts.

Whilst I love the hope, as a pessimist, we so aren't beating Brisbane in any universe. Maybe if they emulate the Hawks previously and go 1 goal 47 we might, but you know, just not a thing in reality.

So I'll be happy to stick with them for 3/4 and have one quarter where they go bang bang and kick 7 to our 1 as per usual. Because we also know they won't win a flag as they're too mentally weak to sustain it, I'm not half convinced the Swans aren't just foxing at present, working on the next step as they were just that far ahead of the rest.

Either way, Crows play Cats over at the water park ex ford factory area, so hopefully a nil all draw this week.

After 19 games we are the 3rd best defence in the AFL.

16 points behind Freo #2 and 34 points behind Swans #1. That really is extraordinary for the 14th placed team.

I know all the anti RTB people will say we are just a defensive team but unlike many lower teams we have a strength that is well drilled and we can build upon (really hope we don’t lose Battle). Kudos to Boris and RTB.

Now we are starting to improve our forward connection (notwithstanding a sub par midfield) we look dangerous.

If we can draft/trade well (& have some injury & fixture luck) I’m positive that we can see significant improvement in 2025.
Reality is we're probably gonna finish with 9-10 wins and have only had 1 poor game on the back of what was unquestionably disgraceful fixturing from the AFL.
Ross has inserted some real backbone into the squad and did not deviate despite the media and fans bemoaning the ugliness of it. And as if out of nowhere confidence, skill and attractiveness have magically appeared, except that it's the result of 2 years hard work from the coaching team and players.

Suns have Bombers, Dees at home and Tiges.
Will win 2 or 3 of those.

With you 100%

You're not considering the opportunity cost. 5 minutes of midfield for Wilson robs Nas of 5 minutes, or Byrnes of 5 minutes, or someone else of 5 minutes - all of whom are way more prepared for midfield minutes than him. Its the same situation as Owens - you know the player is currently playing well in their current role and that they will be no better in the mids because their attributes don't line up, so there is no point in robbing them and others of that 5 minutes of development
Nas is a HBF in my eyes, I'd like him to stay there.. Byrnes isn't a long term mid prospect, would love to get Owens on the ball more often but we have all been vocal about that, would like to start giving Wilson a few little runs at it as he has the strength/power/disposal/running capacity to eventually move into that role. The main question mark is on his contested game. He played mid in the juniors

"Wilson would show off his running and attracting traits at the National Championships as well, booting multiple majors in two of his four appearances for Vic Country to complement the likes of Harley Reid and Zane Duursma in the middle as part of an aggressive midfield ensemble."

Ultimately I'm always right so if I was you i'd just get on board now before you become the next cairnsman ;) (pre face turn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back