Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Who wins the 24 Chas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2119890

The melts in here are delicious.

Night all.

People having a genuine discussion on a voting system that is obviously flawed is melting now apparently.

No one cares that Cripps won, he deserves it, the fact he won it by so much and now effectively has the best season in history is a farce.

I guess this is the beauty or the mystique of "Opinion Awards"

AFLMVP as voted by the Players
2024 winner: Bontempelli

AFLCA as voted by the Coaches
2024 winner: Nick Daicos

2024 Brownlow medal as voted by umpires
Winner: Cripps
Cripps, Heeney and Daicos were the three which got in the top 5 of each of those awards.

If you averaged them out and gave a 1-5 weighting for placing in each award (coming 1st in an aware = 5 points, 2nd = 4 and so on {yes I am aware this is a pointless exercise but still}):

• Cripps (13)
  • Daicos (11)
  • Heeney (7)
  • Bont (5)

Forwards have historically struggled to feature in the Brownlow.

As an example, I looked up Peter McKenna's three peak years. From 1970 to 72 inclusive he kicked 388 goals in H&A matches (128, 130 & 130) - including 10 hauls of 10+ goals, and another 7 hauls of 9.

His combined Brownlow votes for those three years? 25.
Which shows how far back the award isn't a true reflection of best player.
Most sports have similar issues. Certain roles and positions are valued higher.

He’s good. But not that good. Neither is Daicos. Congrats but I think the umps are now only watching limited players. There are quite a few of those games where his fellow mids and a couple of large forwards were more influential and just better.
I think the same types of players would lose the same types of points to the same other types of players. The ebbing tide lowers all boats.

Cripps would still win it.

The awards a sham.

Andrew Dillons wife said in the Red Carpet that she liked Bontempelli but had heard he wasn’t in the running.

Why would she say that based on his year unless Andrew Dillon had counted the votes.

Secure votes my ass.
Yep, legitimately cooked and you could see him come to the realisation of what she said.

Then why tell everyone they are secure? Just tell everyone they have been counted and stop with all the billshit through the night and get on with it.
A select few know the results ahead of the count so they can leak the information to all the betting agencies so they can adjust their odds accordingly and minimise their risk. The AFL does this to ensure they don't lose gambling sponsorship and both parties win. Cripps came into favourtism late because the result was known before the count started. Of course in order to deflect any suspicion of wrong doing the AFL pretends as though the votes are secure. It's a farce that will never end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like players like Rowell, Andy Brayshaw and LDU - but they've just polled 25, 22 and 18 votes respectively in a year when Warner got 23, Bont got 19, Hogan got 15 and Gawn got 13. That's ridiculous.

Look further down for Rankine 5 votes, Sicily 4 votes, Houston 4 votes etc.

Tom de Koning and Xerri looked at various parts of the year like the two best rucks in the comp. 1 vote for each.

Meek was huge for us all year and a major reason we made finals. Will get a lot of B & F votes, 0 Brownlow.

Apparently we massively exceeded literally all expectations just because of Newk.

45 votes is crazy but the coaches had a pretty similar leaderboard.

View attachment 2119875
I don't doubt that. But it definitely is a more balanced reflection of player performance across the board. At worst atleast the source of the votes is more credible.

More ideally there also has to be a means of adjusting the tally to account for influence based on position played.

Baffles me that people can hate on a man like Patrick Cripps, one of the most genuine blokes you could find, great leader, excellent player and good at the tough stuff, plus does some super speccy things also to top it off. Just shows you how fn brain dead some footy fans can be because he plays for a team they may not like. Bizarre.

I despise Essendon, I still respect Zac Merret. Grow up people.

We hate Patrick because we don't share the he opinion he was the best player this year, let alone the greatest player ever?

He won the channel 9 Sunday Footy show award (new Lexus) was second in the coaches award to Daicos (by 4 votes) and went into the Brownlow as a hot $2.30 favourite.

The amount of votes was an anomaly but the winner was well deserved.

Who is hating on him? It's just being pointed out that 45 votes is farcical.

100%! It’s not salt - I’ll be the first to say LDU massively overpolled with 18! Right the way down the leaderboard there’s half a dozen players who just got votes given in any game that didn’t have a 35 & 2 mid performance or a 7 goal forward game. Butters, LDU, Cripps, Naicos & Rowell are just a few of the issue.

LDU finishes 3rd in 2005. In a 3 win side…

Carlton fans need to see it’s not a Cripps complaint - he finished a close 2nd in AFLCA MVP, and 2nd in the AFLPA MVP, and won a bulk of media awards, and had less competition for votes. Therefore, a deserving winner.

Just not at 45 votes…

Deserving winner and all that, but how does Cripps get 45 and Bontempelli 19….. that’s way off! Needs to be a panel of 3 ( ex players/ coaches, journalists)at every game to give the votes and not the umpires…..

Just give it to the coaches for now. Having a panel at every game doesn’t sound right to me

Deserving winner and all that, but how does Cripps get 45 and Bontempelli 19….. that’s way off! Needs to be a panel of 3 ( ex players/ coaches, journalists)at every game to give the votes and not the umpires…..
Treloar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Back