Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care for the Brownlow, or the commentary around it based on who was robbed or undeserving in individual games - it's an extremely flawed system and umpiring is hard enough as it is without having to worry about which player is doing well. There is no perfect award for the AFL's best player, but the Brownlow is one of the more imperfect ones.

My issue with it all is that the AFL insist on jamming the gambling aspect of it down our throats - all whilst the CEO's wife is talking pre-count about how Bont will perform based on what she's 'been told', an umpire being arrested for allegedly telling his mates who got votes, extremely questionable votes being awarded (which I don't think is anything sinister, but it's evidence of just how flawed and subjective this award is) etc etc. It's about as organic as TAB's virtual horse racing platform.

But please kids, as Browny insists, make sure you #GambleResponsibly

WESTERN BULLDOGS

A. Treloar - 26

M. Bontempelli - 19

T. Liberatore - 10 (ineligible)

B. Dale - 9

E. Richards - 6

A. Naughton - 4

J. Harmes (ineligible) - 4

L. Jones - 3

J. Ugle-Hagan - 3

S. Darcy - 3 (ineligible)

C. Weightman - 2

L. Bramble - 1

R. Sanders - 1

This shows how shallow our depth is to some degree as well doesn’t it?

Remember the good old days when the votes were locked in a safe and only counted on the night?* Now, the result is known within an elite circle so the maximum drama tedium can be extracted from hours of advertising, while pretending they have no idea. And look! The medal already has a name engraved on it! (Does it?)

*well, I fell for it :$

I am assuming that Ch7 add in some much fluff to the telecast to extend the coverage duration, therefore get more ads in and therefore increase revenue. I am also assuming Ch7 paid a lot for the tv rights and want to recoup this money. So extending the broadcast helps them in this. I would look at making the broadcast more interesting so more people watch and advertisers willingly pay more. But that’s just me.

The AFL and their media lackeys and their propaganda machine have been wheeled out to pedal the 'but he's such a good bloke' line.

Of course nobody has a bad word to say about Cripps, just the system.

IMG_2232.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the vote count itself but the amount of ads and filler is a pretty bad customer experience

It seemed like it was going to be different tonight. They absolutely powered through the first five rounds.

Then it was 25 minute dribble segments between every two rounds of votes and it dragged on for an eternity. Not sure you could find two more unbearable hosts than Ham and Bec too.

It seemed like it was going to be different tonight. They absolutely powered through the first five rounds.

Then it was 25 minute dribble segments between every two rounds of votes and it dragged on for an eternity. Not sure you could find two more unbearable hosts than Ham and Bec too.

Rebecca Maddern has the warmth of a block of ice. Hamish is the David Brent of AFL media - he's his own biggest fan.

Pretty sure Andrew Dillon read the votes exceptionally fast so more ads could be fitted in
He is only about money and shareholders. F**k both I say. He doesn't care about the quality of the product, issues or fan engagement. Been deliberately tone deaf on every issue, and saying it is fine.

Cannot wait for the inevitable day AFL games become four hours long, as advertisers demand a minute or two worth of adverts between goals. And Dildo says "okay", as long as you pay us more $$$$.

Here's a profile of Cripps' season from Cody Atkinson & Sean Lawson (ABC). As usual they use stats in a more creative way than some of their lazier and less intelligent colleagues in the germo industry.

However I mainly include it here because the charts show some interesting aspects of the Bulldogs season (eg Libba leading Hard Ball Gets, WB with second most team Brownlow votes in 2024, etc). FYI.

One observation I have is that the writers point out how Cripps has improved his game again in 2024 and that's fair enough. But the average game stats don't show a massive improvement on his first Brownlow year. Well not enough to suggest a 55% increase in his votes anyway.

I guess we need to wait a bit longer for someone to publish a more insightful analysis of what the Brownlow has really become.

Waiting.

Waiting.

Waiting.

🥱

🥱
🥱

Waiting ... :sleeping:

Do you have anything to add to this Next Waiting ??

I regard the Brownlow night as a snore fest. I used to turn the tele on just before the last couple of rounds are announced. Now, I don't even bother with that. I'll stick with the wonderful international crime dramas on SBS.

It’s shit isn’t it.

Last night was a shambles. Confused hosts, league bosses wife admitting the results are known long beforehand, the league boss fumbling his way through the intro like he was accepting a student of the week award.

And that’s without even touching on the disgrace that is how the votes are given. Last night highlighted how bad it is.

I was ready to change the channel as soon as Bont didn’t poll in that GC game. I only continued watching because RHOBH had already finished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back