Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

I will eat my IPAD if this happens. Sorry to say but Cripps is on another level. He was a very humble winner tonight kudos to him.
Nick had a great season and there was daylight between him and our next player in the votes.

I don't care about the umpires opinion award so don't care either way. But what I do care about is the plaudits and kudos.

I think it's getting close to the time where teams play should play each other once so 17 round season or all teams twice. Then you would have a true top 8, Brownlow, Coleman medal winner.

Ability wise Allan has a chance to reach that level. brownlow votes wise no chance. There is a big difference between the two.

Omfg this world we are in cannot be for real.

There is a news.com,au article questioning Nick Daicos votes in the Queens birthday game lol ffs.

but nothing about the golden child in Cripps apologies to Zach M and Neale (the umpires still adore you don't worry).

Becoming farcical when umpires hand out Brownlow votes like participation awards.

Basically they're suggesting Cripps had the greatest season of any player ever at this level.

The Brownlow is losing credibility by the year.

Ok and?

Does that guarantee he’ll win one? Plenty of incredible players, even consistent ones don’t win Brownlows. Look at Pendles.

Your assumption is based on…nothing?

Mine is based on something a tad more concrete.
What is your assumption actually based on?

Omfg this world we are in cannot be for real.

There is a news.com,au article questioning Nick Daicos votes in the Queens birthday game lol ffs.

but nothing about the golden child in Cripps apologies to Zach M and Neale (the umpires still adore you don't worry).

So nothing about Cripps getting 3 votes in a game where he had 19 disposals and a disposal efficiency of below 40% and against Melbourne he got 3 votes, despite Trac kicking 5 goals from 22 disposals...🤣🤣

What is your assumption actually based on?

The fact that he didn't manage to win it in two season where he clearly should have?

Including one where he managed to beat the previous record by 2 votes?

Which, while doesn't guarantee anything, is at least based on more than just a completely baseless assumption that because he's an incredible player "oh, he'll win one eventually"

Plenty don't.

That's now two seasons in a row where he got either no votes or maybe 1 vote in games he was clearly BOG or close to it. So if that's how they see him, it seems unlikely he'd win one.

The Coaches Player of the year award should be the prestigious award night. The Brownlow is becoming a joke. Cripps had a good season, but a record breaking season, l beg to differ.
The Brownlow is becoming a night for the occasion, not a night because of the actual award and its "prestige".
Some of these umpires after a game wouldn't have a clue who played well.
They see Cripps bust through a few tackles and get 2 or 3 clearances then after the game when giving votes, they must presume he's done that all night, so he must have played a great game.
I mean how could Jaicos only poll 3 votes, and Cameron not get a single vote?
If the AFL want this award to stop being a farce, give the umpires full detailed stats, let them meet at AFL house each Monday after the round, and let them discuss each game properly and in detail, then give their votes unanimously. No point rushing them to give votes on the day or night after the game...

Last edited:
The fact that he didn't manage to win it in two season where he clearly should have?

Which, while doesn't guarantee anything, is at least based on more than just a completely baseless assumption that because he's an incredible player "oh, he'll win one eventually"

Plenty don't.

That's now two seasons in a row where he got either no votes or maybe 1 vote in games he was clearly BOG or close to it. So if that's how they see him, it seems unlikely he'd win one.
Nick was not favourite to win in either of the last 2 years. He was second favourite in both according to the bookies and he came second in both.

He was clearly a big chance in both but didn’t get there. Cripps had an incredible year this year and the majority of people out there and most of the media picked him to win. There’s no shock in him coming in as runner up.

Noting his ability to attract votes and high profile, he’s more likely to win one that not, barring injury issues. The stats fully support this probability.

I suspect that you are really suggesting that it’s some bias that will prevent him winning it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will set the record for most Brownlow votes in a career

We should all be proud of Naicos. He is just setting a high bar for future Brownlow's.
At only 21, he's now come runner up and finished top 3 in the last two counts. He got 38 votes in this Brownlow and accumulated 66 votes in the last two Brownlow counts.
He is a champion, we all know it, and he will win at least two by the time his career is done.

Did Cripps and Nick have the 2 best seasons in history? Award has turned into an absolute joke. Thrre should of been full page articles of Cripps dominance every day if a vote tally like that was legitimate.

Nick was not favourite to win in either of the last 2 years. He was second favourite in both according to the bookies and he came second in both.

He was clearly a big chance in both but didn’t get there. Cripps had an incredible year this year and the majority of people out there and most of the media picked him to win. There’s no shock in him coming in as runner up.

Noting his ability to attract votes and high profile, he’s more likely to win one that not, barring injury issues. The stats fully support this probability.

I suspect that you are really suggesting that it’s some bias that will prevent him winning it.

I am?

Plenty of great players never win Brownlows.

Pendlebury is right up there in the all time vote getters and all those around him are dual Brownlow medallists no less, yet he doesn't one.

Sometimes for whatever reason, great players never win one.

Meanwhile, one season wonders sometimes do.

Did Cripps and Nick have the 2 best seasons in history? Award has turned into an absolute joke. Thrre should of been full page articles of Cripps dominance every day if a vote tally like that was legitimate.

Cripps is a great player, but he got votes because of his reputation as a player, and what the umpires believe he must have done in a game.
With Naicos, he is an absolute champion, but his name and reputation as a player also would have got him a vote here or there. I mean Naicos got 2 votes in a game he got 15 disposals and was subbed off in. I love he got 38 votes, but l thought some other players of ours missed out on votes that were deserved...

Cripps is a great player, but he got votes because of his reputation as a player, and what the umpires believe he must have done in a game.
With Naicos, he is an absolute champion, but his name and reputation as a player also would have got him a vote here or there. I mean Naicos got 2 votes in a game he got 15 disposals and was subbed off in. I love he got 38 votes, but l thought some other players of ours missed out on votes that were deserved...
In the end i was just laughing because you knew he was going to poll every game they read out regardless of whether it was an ineffective, 19 possession game or not. The umps late in the year obviously just thought "Crippa having a solid year, just give him the 3 again **** it"

The Coaches Player of the year award should be the prestigious award night. The Brownlow is becoming a joke. Cripps had a good season, but a record breaking season, l beg to differ.
The Brownlow is becoming a night for the occasion, not a night because of the actual award and its "prestige".
Some of these umpires after a game wouldn't have a clue who played well.
They see Cripps bust through a few tackles and get 2 or 3 clearances then after the game when giving votes, they must presume he's done that all night, so he must have played a great game.
I mean how could Jaicos only poll 3 votes, and Cameron not get a single vote?
If the AFL want this award to stop being a farce, give the umpires full detailed stats, let them meet at AFL house each Monday after the round, and let them discuss each game properly and in detail, then give their votes unanimously. No point rushing them to give votes on the day or night after the game...

People were saying exactly the same thing 40 years ago.

Pretty much word for word. And they were calling it the most boring night on television.

And yet here we are. And I’m sure it’ll be much the same in another 40 years.

People were saying exactly the same thing 40 years ago.

Pretty much word for word. And they were calling it the most boring night on television.

And yet here we are. And I’m sure it’ll be much the same in another 40 years.

Well we're changing everything else in the game, but with the most "prestigious" award, they can't make changes to the way its voted upon and make it more professional and fair?
Open it up to allow a key back or key forward or a ruckman to actually have the opportunity to win it....

Plenty don't.

Look at it another way. Nick has already polled more votes in his first three seasons than any other player in history.

And he’s yet to reach his prime.

Has to be a decent chance to win one in the future.

I am?

Plenty of great players never win Brownlows.

Pendlebury is right up there in the all time vote getters and all those around him are dual Brownlow medallists no less, yet he doesn't one.

Sometimes for whatever reason, great players never win one.

Meanwhile, one season wonders sometimes do.
I don’t recall Pendles being favourite to win in any season. His consistency was off the charts and he was always up there in his prime, but never expected to win.

So far in Nick’s short career he had not been expected to win. Just had a massive chance twice. He probably has at least another 10 seasons barring injury.

I don’t think you’ve presented any concrete evidence of anything.

Rest of the Collingwood list got 30
I like the number 30, particularly in these sentences:

The Collingwood Premiership Captain wears number 30.

It has been 30 years since Carlton won a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 Brownlow medal - Our boy Nick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back