List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Class

Remove this Banner Ad

I think theyre just waiting on who we bring in and if we bring in players via trade/free agency we will do that but I dont think we will do that to expand number of selections in the draft, i reckon it will only be 3 in national draft. Hope you're right tho prefer a larger draft hand this year
It’s counter to what we normally do, but there’s at least one obvious candidate this year in Johnson and I’d move Macrae as well (I doubt the club pull that one though). To my knowledge the rookie discount still applies along with the banking of cap space so that’s perhaps $250k carried forward. If there were ever a draft to load up (even with post 50 picks) it’s this one. Not to mention there’s a number of absolute cloggers at the lower end of the list.

Shoots is an elite pressure forward, IQ an elite one v one general defender, Elliott elite overhead for a small forward. The best role players tend to have an elite trait whereas the true A graders tend to have a more elite package overall. Let me put it this way if Ed Allan goes on to be an A grader would you prefer him to be at JDG’s or Baker’s level?
Yeah, that's fair enough.

Spot on. The guys that will wind up cut are not going to garner any interest and you delay the announcement in case things do or don’t pan out in trade week.
The club has done its best in the past to find guys a new home if they can, even if its for a nothing pick There will be some in that boat. If they can't, then the chop will follow

The club has done its best in the past to find guys a new home if they can, even if its for a nothing pick There will be some in that boat. If they can't, then the chop will follow
I’m referencing the likes of Eyre, Bytel, Sullivan and Long who won’t have any external interest. The two in no man’s land (without a contract and no obvious suitors) are Kreuger and McInnes. In the case of both you’re holding them until you know your available list spots and then delist them in time for the DFA period so they can find a new home. I wouldn’t bother trading for them, but who knows.

Spot on. The guys that will wind up cut are not going to garner any interest and you delay the announcement in case things do or don’t pan out in trade week.
While I agree, I guess I'm a little confused how players delisted go on immediately to be SSPs or DFAs?

I'm thinking Bytel for us, or Sharp for Freo. Surely the original clubs must have some idea that there was immediately going to be interest from oppo clubs? Especially Gold Coast with Sharp given Freo tried to trade for him previously.

Bro, you'd be the only one who doesn't rate him. Can play back, forward and mid, has pace and his kicking is elite. There isn't a club that he wouldn't walk into. We're not talking about 15yo Tom McGuane here bro. Not one of your best calls
I love watching Baker play. Put him anywhere and you're winning that position. Will be fantastic for WCE if he gets thera and probably be captain within a couple of years. He won't get much press, but he'll be like Ward has been for GWS.

While I agree, I guess I'm a little confused how players delisted go on immediately to be SSPs or DFAs?

I'm thinking Bytel for us, or Sharp for Freo. Surely the original clubs must have some idea that there was immediately going to be interest from oppo clubs? Especially Gold Coast with Sharp given Freo tried to trade for him previously.
Club doesn't want to keep them. No club is willing to pay for them. Delist. Now a club may be interested enough to pick them up as a DFA - which is equivalent to the last choice in the draft - to fill a list spot that they'd kept open during trade week in case someone better came along. But more likely they pass through the DFA period and the draft period and then a club who is interested but not yet willing to commit might get them to audition for an SSP.

He breaks the lines with pace and elite kicking. Not many role players do it as good as him. If we are going to judge him as a role player, then I would have him as elite. He's a gun
I'm with you - to me he's not that far off what Scott Burns was for us. Very good all round hard as nails player. He'd be a coaches dream.

Weddle’s the one for me on those exact vibes. He’s built like a Greek god at 19!
Kouta was something else. A bit like Heeney in that he was an excellent player for a lot of years but it didn't feel like he was fulfilling his potential, and then one year it suddenly clicked and he was just on another plane. I think he had a knee injury in the second half of the year so he didn't win everything, but before then he had a patch of footy where he was like a cross between Cripps and Adam Goodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kouta was something else. A bit like Heeney in that he was an excellent player for a lot of years but it didn't feel like he was fulfilling his potential, and then one year it suddenly clicked and he was just on another plane. I think he had a knee injury in the second half of the year so he didn't win everything, but before then he had a patch of footy where he was like a cross between Cripps and Adam Goodes.
Kouta was a freak show. Unbelievable talent.

He breaks the lines with pace and elite kicking. Not many role players do it as good as him. If we are going to judge him as a role player, then I would have him as elite. He's a gun
It just means you have a different definition of A grader to me, hence why I said you had a low bar.

I reserve A grade for the genuine stars, like Daicos, Petracca, Cripps, Bont etc. Baker is a good player but to me he sits somewhere in that 6-15 bracket of a clubs best 22. A great player for sure, but he’s not what I’d regard as a genuine A grader.

It just means you have a different definition of A grader to me, hence why I said you had a low bar.

I reserve A grade for the genuine stars, like Daicos, Petracca, Cripps, Bont etc. Baker is a good player but to me he sits somewhere in that 6-15 bracket of a clubs best 22. A great player for sure, but he’s not what I’d regard as a genuine A grader.
Yeah, all good. I struggle to identify talent just like every other pundit. I just like to give an opinion but I'm far from right most times

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Class

Remove this Banner Ad

Back