2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t recall Langford playing a bad game. Numbers good for Frankie Jr

View attachment 2098311
Reid: 3.0, 32 touches, 3 tackles, 2 marks.

Smilie: 2.1, 26 touches, 3 marks, 2 tackles.

Lalor: 11 touches, 2 marks, 1 tackle.

Trainor: 19 touches, 5 marks, 2 tackles.

I wanted Brayshaw, less of a figjam than the other bloke. Again, can understand gettign spooked about Roos retirement. In any event, he was a HFF that transitioned, so you had a fwd /mid transition, an actual mid and a FF in discussion for pick 1 that year. Don't be revising just because Trac ended up as a bonafide mid who then flipped his script after 6 years.

He was the best player in the draft all year. Had shown he could play midfield.

So Oakleigh / Sandy / GWVR / Dandenong / Northern / Gippsland all advance to the 2nd round of CL Finals (Quarter Finals) ... and also advancing is ... Geelong (who had a bye - finished top) and Calder as they were the highest ranked loser from the Metro side of the draw

Eastern, Western, Murray, Bendigo & Tassie are all out ... so no more Smillie, Travaglia, Shanahan, Berry, the Whitlocks or Moraes

Draw not out for Finals 2nd week as yet

i get that, but seems a bit silly to give up a very good defender for a potentially very good defender. And the one we had was very good age for us going forward
How did we give up Battle?

Because we didn't offer him 1mill a year .... when it seems he already had his heart set on leaving to the Hawks anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did we give up Battle?

Because we didn't offer him 1mill a year .... when it seems he already had his heart set on leaving to the Hawks anyway?
No it was decided by list management before season started that he would be used for getting back into the draft and we never had any plan to keep him, he and his management got wind of what was going on

How many times will this club let the ship sail and not make the people responsible accountable

It’s a game of inches. **** up the pick and it sends us 2 steps backwards. Draft a star with the compo and you are a brave and canny list manager. I have very little faith in SOS and Gubby but hope that Dalrymple can wind the clock back 10 years and nail his picks. Toce left him big shoes to fill. When we are trying to get ourselves excited by Tomlinson and Leverne, times are tough.

or by making good decisions and learning from past mistakes
we're not going to develop a premiership worthy list without taking a few chances

our recent draftees look very good, granted Toce has left but our development also plays a part, so I'm happy to back the club in. Battle was a nice player but his position is one of the easiest to fill in the game, the third tall. Trainor's ceiling is much higher than battle's was at the same age, yes he might not make it, but you play the percentages

or by making good decisions and learning from past mistakes

Yep, the best run clubs are the ones who make good decisions. They’ve traumatised me for so long every trade and draft period gives me PTSD. I just expect the worst and hope for the best now.

No it was decided by list management before season started that he would be used for getting back into the draft and we never had any plan to keep him, he and his management got wind of what was going on
And by pure chance his childhood club came calling with a massive offer ...yet we still managed to put in a massive offer to keep him as well ...even though we didn't want to keep him .... OK then :thumbsu:

we're not going to develop a premiership worthy list without taking a few chances

our recent draftees look very good, granted Toce has left but our development also plays a part, so I'm happy to back the club in. Battle was a nice player but his position is one of the easiest to fill in the game, the third tall. Trainor's ceiling is much higher than battle's was at the same age, yes he might not make it, but you play the percentages
He kept Cameron goaless rnd1 also kept McCreey, Georgiadas, Lukosius and will Haywood goalless and held Zurhaar to 1 goal in 40 minutes while averaging 18 touches at 80 percent efficiency

Just an article I read a little while ago

He was very good spent years looking for him will spend years trying to replace him

Toce is a god amongst men in this forum.. Credit for Nas but Phillipou was largely due to Essendon’s blunder at 5.

Likewise Dalrymple getting Bont at 4 because we picked Billings at 3.

Unfortunately unless you have the top 5 picks to get the top mids you are relying on others making a mistake ahead of you rather than controlling your own destiny.

Hate how negative some are on the Josh Battle situation sure it may have been handled better but ultimately we walk away with Pick 8.

If we were offered a trade for it everyone would be on board.

FWIW, Jack Whitlock (at 200cm) had 24 touches, 6 marks, 6 hit outs, 2 tackles, and kicked 1.1 on a seriously windy day.

Matt had jumped him in phantoms for a while. Looks like he’s going ahead again. It’s actually a good KPF draft.

He kept Cameron goaless rnd1 also kept McCreey, Georgiadas, Lukosius and will Haywood goalless and held Zurhaar to 1 goal in 40 minutes while averaging 18 touches at 80 percent efficiency

He was very good spent years looking for him will spend years trying to replace him
yes we all agree he was very good, but his position isn't as crucial as other players, we have wilkie and dougal to take the oppo's best forwards. Caminiti alone looked decent as our third tall after never playing there before in his life

There was talk that we offered him 950k x 6 years near the end, that is a massive deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back