2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

yes we all agree he was very good, but his position isn't as crucial as other players, we have wilkie and dougal to take the oppo's best forwards. Caminiti alone looked decent as our third tall after never playing there before in his life
time will tell
if its pick 8 worth a go
and if its band 2 list management should go

There was talk that we offered him 950k x 6 years near the end, that is a massive deal.
after the season knowing he was already gone

think it was 900k

And it was offered because we realised we were getting band 2

we're not going to develop a premiership worthy list without taking a few chances

our recent draftees look very good, granted Toce has left but our development also plays a part, so I'm happy to back the club in. Battle was a nice player but his position is one of the easiest to fill in the game, the third tall. Trainor's ceiling is much higher than battle's was at the same age, yes he might not make it, but you play the percentages

How many good ones are there? Melbourne paid up big to get Lever. I think people will see how good he was once he’s gone. Hopefully an improved midfield will help cover his loss though. Battle and Wilkie held up under maximum pressure when we were playing without mids.

Do you reckon he's be in the Vic Metro side if it was picked now? Seems to be consistently in the bests at the moment for Stingrays.

Hard to know but looks close, there is such a deep pool this year. He looks like he could have player high HF but the overflow usually spills over from the prime mids.

There was talk that we offered him 950k x 6 years near the end, that is a massive deal.

Came late after a lot of chest beating about holding our ground on the initial offer.

Not sure that a 26 yr old third defender (albeit a good one) is really moving the needle when we aren’t good enough to finish in the top 4 with him.

Rather go back and build a list properly than the top and bottom heavy one we have at the moment.

Keep the older players for experience, examples and learning and leadership and build the pieces around king when he hits his prime 27-28 years old

Which means cutting now and bringing in class midfield talent via the draft

Really simple plan guys, I’m sorry the player you like left but by all reports he is happy with his new club and deal and we will be happy to get Pick 8 and continue our long term plan

Yet they won't go as we all know

Anyway you are screaming like a banshee before we even know .... those grass cuttings are messing with your head

Mowman is one of the real ITKs on here. If he’s saying it it’s probably worth listening. Knows Battle’s relatives and has very good connections in footy.

Not sure that a 26 yr old third defender (albeit a good one) is really moving the needle when we aren’t good enough to finish in the top 4 with him.

Rather go back and build a list properly than the top and bottom heavy one we have at the moment.

Keep the older players for experience, examples and learning and leadership and build the pieces around king when he hits his prime 27-28 years old

Which means cutting now and bringing in class midfield talent via the draft

Really simple plan guys, I’m sorry the player you like left but by all reports he is happy with his new club and deal and we will be happy to get Pick 8 and continue our long term plan

We didn’t play final because we had mass injury to the mids. Fix training services if you want to move forward. Not shoot your feet.

Yet they won't go as we all know

Anyway you are screaming like a banshee before we even know .... those grass cuttings are messing with your head
No I’m not
Why because I see it differently too you
Worry about your own empty shell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn’t play final because we had mass injury to the mids. Fix training services if you want to move forward. Not shoot your feet.

Not really bothered about playing finals or not.

We did that already, it’s about building a list to finish top 4 and ideally top 3 as we know 98% of premiership winners come from there.

The current list has not been good enough and won’t be until we stack more high end talent in.

If we get Band 1 which I believe we will by the grace of the AFL gods and an educated guess. Then it is the correct decision and time to move on.

I’m sorry Mowman ‘Mr ITK forum man’, I feel so bad for how Josh Battle was treated I guess he can wipe his tears away with the $850k+ 5/6 year deal the hawks gave him to play at his childhood supporting club.

So why put in another offer when it's quite well known "by his team" that we didnt want him?
I think that last offer was more about ensuring there was little doubt about Band 1 then actually realistically retaining Battle.

They wanted to retain him in March and Mowman has explained what happened

Not really bothered about playing finals or not.

We did that already, it’s about building a list to finish top 4 and ideally top 3 as we know 98% of premiership winners come from there.

The current list has not been good enough and won’t be until we stack more high end talent in.

If we get Band 1 which I believe we will by the grace of the AFL gods and an educated guess. Then it is the correct decision and time to move on.

I’m sorry Mowman ‘Mr ITK forum man’, I feel so bad for how Josh Battle was treated I guess he can wipe his tears away with the $850k+ 5/6 year deal the hawks gave him to play at his childhood supporting club.
Have never said once on here I’m some ITK , I give my opinion like everyone else

Probably should have tanked then. You can’t take what is already gone.
Nope. Still dining out on the Blues win 🤣
(I guess we could’ve lost the Cats but that was one helluva game).
We’ll be right.

It’s astounding how negative the view is on this is. Due to poor list management and recruitment and just plain bad luck from 2014- we completely cooked our list and what should have been a top 4 list right now. Its left us in no mans land for the last 6 years and now we have to rebuild on the ‘run’.

This move accelerates that and if it comes off I would put it in the same category as the Darcy Wilson trade back. It accelerates the rebuild on the run by 12 months and capitalises on a lower finish. Only way that this could have gone better is if Higgo doesn’t kick the game winner but either way this is a sharp and creative move that addresses the glaring issue we have had for 5/6 years.

Kudos to Sos and co (when it’s announced by the AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back