2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

No because Ratts was playing him on the wing and imagine a player getting better when played in his right position and getting to that 50 to 70 game mark. Weird stuff

End of round one is crap result your opinion is wrong
It wasn’t his right position, he was thrown there out of desperation because our next list move was delist. He was drafted as a key forward remember.
So to turn a possible delist into a top 10 pick, or worst case, a first rounder, that’s called win-win, both for the amiable but under the thumb Josh, as it is St Kilda.

1-rich: O'Sullivan
2-north: trainor
3-wc: smith
4-crows: Draper
5-demons: Langford/lalor/reid
6-rich: Armstrong/shanahan
7-stk: Langford/lalor/reid
8-stk: Langford/lalor/reid

Hopefully both trainor and one of the key forwards go before our pick, meaning we should have 2 of the left over mids to take. Can't see O'Sullivan and Draper being there at ours. But feel like there is still a chance smith could slide. Langford/reid is probably the worse combo we would want available though, as they are probably the two most similar style slower mids.

Didn’t realise Battle had morphed into Dustin Martin 😜
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference talking to the "ITK' here... Josh Battle, victim of the St Kilda Football Club, mistreated and hung out to dry. Left to collect a measly $800,000+ a year contract over 5-6 years. Who else walks into a club plays 2.5 good seasons and sets them self up for life like this? Least he could do would be scratch our back in negotiations with the Hawks bumping their offer 50k or by getting them to front-load it (which is in the hawks benefit given their salary cap situation)

Mowman, I respect you. You’ve added a lot to the forum in my time here.
I reckon you’re flying too close to the sun on this one.
These moves happen regularly across the league, if what you’re suggesting is in fact correct then it’s unfortunate that a player you have a personal connection has been on the wrong end of the dealings but ultimately the list management team are given the power to make decisions that they think will move us closer to a premiership.
It’s their duty to pull the levers they can to address the needs of the list. Unfortunately the only levers we’ve had the last two years has been free agency compensation as very few of our players have currency and of those that do they’re to important to our mission

Last edited:
I can live with pick 8 we should know in 3 years if it was the right move

Our offer after season ended hopefully done enough to get 8
Better be. I don't mind shopping capital considering the AFL doesn't allow us to get free NGA's and we don't have a pet like Laura Kane at AFL house to get us decent players or free draft picks.
The only issue I have is the execution needs to be spot. If we don't get 8, it is just a disaster.
I reckon if good enough we will know if 7 and 8 will be AFL players. Look at Wilson.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t realise Battle had morphed into Dustin Martin 😜
Never said he did
But if you’re going to lose someone you get the best result
We don’t need pick 29 we need top end talent . We haven’t been given endless 1st round picks like your plastic little club.
You said struggling to get a game 2 years ago ?
Last year and year before top 10 in our B&F and would be top 5 this year
Head back to your own board

Mowman, I respect you. You’ve added a lot to the forum in my time here.
I reckon you’re flying too close to the sun on this one.
These moves happen regularly across the league, if what you’re suggesting is in fact correct then it’s unfortunate that a player you have a personal connection has been on the wrong end of the dealings but ultimately the list management team are given the power to make decisions that they think will move us closer to a premiership.
It’s their duty to pull the levers they can to address the needs of the list. Unfortunately the only levers we’ve had the last two years has been free agency compensation as very few of our players have currency and of those that do they’re to important to our mission
Agree
Just make sure when pulling those levers you have done your homework and the desired result for the club don’t leave anything to chance

Big difference between pick 8 and say 25

Agree
Just make sure when pulling those levers you have done your homework and the desired result for the club don’t leave anything to chance

That's on gaggs for not having battle in the top 25% of earners going into his free agency year.

Agree

I think most everyone agrees with that, but with either result it'll still take time to assess the outcome. Pick 8 could still be a bust whist p25 becomes a champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toce is a god amongst men in this forum.. Credit for Nas but Phillipou was largely due to Essendon’s blunder at 5.

Likewise Dalrymple getting Bont at 4 because we picked Billings at 3.

Unfortunately unless you have the top 5 picks to get the top mids you are relying on others making a mistake ahead of you rather than controlling your own destiny.

Hate how negative some are on the Josh Battle situation sure it may have been handled better but ultimately we walk away with Pick 8.

If we were offered a trade for it everyone would be on board.
No Bont was only going to Collingwood or the dogs. Was seen as a bolter and not many teams were gonna take the punt.

We’ve really gotta feel so obliged to pick a midfielder, but if we have the two picks, it’s gotta be best available with the 2nd. So I wouldn’t even rule out the key forward in Armstrong.

It wasn’t his right position, he was thrown there out of desperation because our next list move was delist. He was drafted as a key forward remember.
So to turn a possible delist into a top 10 pick, or worst case, a first rounder, that’s called win-win, both for the amiable but under the thumb Josh, as it is St Kilda.
He was never getting delisted 😂 so stop making things up 🤡

De he steal your Mrs ?

Last edited:
Agree, he was literally played every position trying to find somewhere to fit and even in the backline it took some time to grow into the role.

Hopefully we get band 1, and of so, I also agree re win-win, if things were different and he wanted to be traded, I doubt we'd get a top 10 pick for him.

Another player making a run for the top 20 - Hamish Davis played for Claremont WAFL men's final today 21 touches and 4 goals continuing his very good form.
He’s a strange one to place. Almost doesn’t look like a footballer. But does some really uncanny things. Before he started ripping up the seniors, I noticed he had 40 touches in the midfield in the Colts. There are some big risers in this draft.

Agree

If we dont get pick #8 for Battle then nobody will be safe at the club. Supporters will do a Capitol Hill and take over the place with pitch forks, SOS & Gubby will be too afraid to leave theit homes.

But serioussy if it doesnt happen SOS should stand down immediately...

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back