2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s your gut feel at this point for the top 5 or so picks? (Not holding you to this)
Look I’m guessing. But top 5 for me right now.

and I don’t have a clue how it will actually go, but

Smilie Trainor FOS Smith then one of Langford/Reid/Lalor/Draper

If I owned that pick. It would be Langford right now.

Does that pick go for Rioli though?
Maybe. But they have 3 picks as it is.

He won’t be going pick 1. People are looking way to far into this VFL stint
I'm the first one to criticise people for pumping up a guy too much based on a single game (see Xavier Lindsay's final champs performance), but Jagga's been probably the best performed player in the draft pool for a couple of months now. Very good at the champs and some eye popping performances in the Talent League. Its not a crazy thing to have him number 1.

Look I’m guessing. But top 5 for me right now.

and I don’t have a clue how it will actually go, but

Smilie Trainor FOS Smith then one of Langford/Reid/Lalor/Draper

If I owned that pick. It would be Langford right now.

Maybe. But they have 3 picks as it is.
I’m going off short highlights. My question mark would be whether he has either grunt or some pace. Lovely lovely kick, big ball winner, good size. Plenty to like. But I wonder if his game transfers to an AFL centre square mid or whether he just becomes a HBF. I can see the O’Callaghan likeness. Take with a grain of salt of course and perhaps more of a question for watchers.

When he has attended centre clearances as a mid, he has not gone so well.

Personally I would like to see him get an extended run at Sandy to see if he can become one.

But right now in the seniors more time there is more likely to be ugly than not.
Hard to dominate with a few minutes here and there. Pou also looked completely lost a few short weeks ago.

Confidence is one helluva drug.

Last edited:
I'm the first one to criticise people for pumping up a guy too much based on a single game (see Xavier Lindsay's final champs performance), but Jagga's been probably the best performed player in the draft pool for a couple of months now. Very good at the champs and some eye popping performances in the Talent League. Its not a crazy thing to have him number 1.
Feeling the Tigers will take Jagga, but then again they might be lured by the prospect of a Dusty replacement in Smillie.

Let me start this by saying I’m a huge Jagga smith fan and I want him at my clubs first pick.

Do you know how many players in the last 24 years have been taken #1 that have been no bigger than Jagga?

• Marc Murphy
  • Tom Scully
  • Andrew McGrath

Murphy was an elite mid.

Scully had some absolute elite traits and dominated u18 level. Was an elite wing before the ankle injury.

Your boy McGrath is a fairly average footballer in the scheme of things. He did have a decent u18 campaign.

In this draft class there are a few midfield monsters.

• Smillie 194cm
  • Langford 190cm
  • Lalor 187 cm

Smillie has long been touted as pick 1. Had a great Coates league campaign. Poor champs. You can however clearly see why he is the majority anointed pick 1

Langford and Lalor have come from nowhere of late and both could keep rising. Prototype current day mids at their sizes. Could go 1 could go 10.

Could Smith go #1 because he has been most consistent? Sure he could.

Could he be the best player when it’s all said and done 15 years from now? Yep.

But realistically it would appear to be a reach if the draft HAPPENED TODAY.

There are concerns with his ability to hurt the opposition with ball in hand. Other candidates have shown a tendency for scoreboard impact - which always rates highly.

I think Jagga is the best pure accumulator.

If we are going to start considering Jagga then Trainor should also be in that conversation - best tall and showing as much consistency as Jagga.

Opportunity cost. Need to clear players that are not generally in the best in the scoobs.

Season finishes now, he’s probably just still cut but I have a feeling he’s found his feet a little and will have a great finish.

To have him cut in your mind no matter what he does because of his past output is bit simple. What about the opportunity cost of cutting a bloke just when he’s about to show what he can do?

There’s a sunk cost component to him as well. So we burn 3 years of development for no return if we cut him and replace him with an 18yo kid who will need 2 years minimum developing before showing anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until King can show he can survive a full season, we need that insurance. Things would be pretty bleak right now ahead of the ball if Membrey wasn't at the club.

None of our forwards did well this year. It will be sad seeing him at another club but I think he's got good footy left. He probably deserves a couple of years in a good side getting easy marks though.

Let me start this by saying I’m a huge Jagga smith fan and I want him at my clubs first pick.

Do you know how many players in the last 24 years have been taken #1 that have been no bigger than Jagga?

• Marc Murphy
  • Tom Scully
  • Andrew McGrath

Murphy was an elite mid.

Scully had some absolute elite traits and dominated u18 level. Was an elite wing before the ankle injury.

Your boy McGrath is a fairly average footballer in the scheme of things. He did have a decent u18 campaign.

• Smillie 194cm
  • Langford 190cm
  • Lalor 187 cm

Smillie has long been touted as pick 1. Had a great Coates league campaign. Poor champs. You can however clearly see why he is the majority anointed pick 1

Langford and Lalor have come from nowhere of late and both could keep rising. Prototype current day mids at their sizes. Could go 1 could go 10.

There are concerns with his ability to hurt the opposition with ball in hand. Other candidates have shown a tendency for scoreboard impact - which always rates highly.

If we are going to start considering Jagga then Trainor should also be in that conversation - best tall and showing as much consistency as Jagga.
Smillie hasn't long been touted as pick 1. If anything, FOS as "long been touted as pick 1" for this season after his stellar u16s and winning MVP of the u16 champs. Similar to Dyson Sharp next year, there is often a kid that gets tagged as the guy in an age group, and that guy was FOS.

I had Smillie third after FOS and Draper in pre-season. He took over the favouritism for pick 1 early this season from FOS when FOS fractured his thumb and missed a chunk of time. Smillie had a hot start to the season, but there were always question marks hovering over him, it wasn't anything like some previous seasons where there was a prospect that separated himself and became the standout.

Langford and Lalor have not "come from nowhere of late". I had Langford just outside the top 10 in pre-season and he's been dominating the talent league all year. The knocks on Langford have come from his indifferent pre-season testing where he recorded poor 20m sprint and agility tests, but his excellent play has somewhat overcome those concerns.

Lalor I had at 7 in pre-season, and if anything he's slipped a little through his injury layoff. He had that huge first game back in the talent league, but then a slightly indifferent champs run. Very much still underdone but with heaps of talent/x-factor.

If you want to put Trainor into a group of pick 1 possibles then more power to you.

Smillie hasn't long been touted as pick 1. If anything, FOS as "long been touted as pick 1" for this season after his stellar u16s and winning MVP of the u16 champs. Similar to Dyson Sharp next year, there is often a kid that gets tagged as the guy in an age group, and that guy was FOS.

I had Smillie third after FOS and Draper in pre-season. He took over the favouritism for pick 1 early this season from FOS when FOS fractured his thumb and missed a chunk of time. Smillie had a hot start to the season, but there were always question marks hovering over him, it wasn't anything like some previous seasons where there was a prospect that separated himself and became the standout.

Langford and Lalor have not "come from nowhere of late". I had Langford just outside the top 10 in pre-season and he's been dominating the talent league all year. The knocks on Langford have come from his indifferent pre-season testing where he recorded poor 20m sprint and agility tests, but his excellent play has somewhat overcome those concerns.

Lalor I had at 7 in pre-season, and if anything he's slipped a little through his injury layoff. He had that huge first game back in the talent league, but then a slightly indifferent champs run. Very much still underdone but with heaps of talent/x-factor.

If you want to put Trainor into a group of pick 1 possibles then more power to you.
We are talking about potential pick 1s. Not sure why it matters that you had Langford just outside the top 10 and Lalor at 7 in the summer.

As of right now they would or could all be in the mix. Would need a very wet sail from here in Lalors case.

And I didn’t mention anything about u16 football or who was highly rated there. But since March - Smillie has been the anointed pick 1. That isn’t wrong.

FOS has held the pick 2 based on his junior year. With everyone waiting for him to show something and it hasn’t happened….yet

There is a reason he has been higher rated then Jagga - with having barely played a game and Jaggas super consistency.

I believe at this point you have probably answered your own remark. It would be unlikely Jagga goes pick 1.

If he does, it represents a reach as things stand. Maybe some clubs do rate him as a pick 1. But history in the last 24 seasons says it’s highly unlikely a midfielder in Jagga mould goes pick 1.

He may have the best career though.

We are talking about potential pick 1s. Not sure why it matters that you had Langford just outside the top 10 and Lalor at 7 in the summer.

As of right now they would or could all be in the mix. Would need a very wet sail from here in Lalors case.

And I didn’t mention anything about u16 football or who was highly rated there. But since March - Smillie has been the anointed pick 1. That isn’t wrong.

FOS has held the pick 2 based on his junior year. With everyone waiting for him to show something and it hasn’t happened….yet

There is a reason he has been higher rated then Jagga - with having barely played a game and Jaggas super consistency.

I believe at this point you have probably answered your own remark. It would be unlikely Jagga goes pick 1.

If he does, it represents a reach as things stand. Maybe some clubs do rate him as a pick 1. But history in the last 24 seasons says it’s highly unlikely a midfielder in Jagga mould goes pick 1.

He may have the best career though.
I just don't agree with you on that point at all I'm afraid. I don't agree that it's unlikely Jagga goes pick 1. I think the field for pick 1 is wide open. I have Jag in a group of four (Draper, Smillie, FOS, Jagga) tier 1 prospects. I favor Draper myself, but could see any of those four picked at 1. There are other highly respected draft watchers that have Jagga at 1:

I could also see Lalor emerging from the next group and taking that mantle if he finds form and shows the talent I believe he has.

It's the most wide open field I can recall.

Stagro doesn't say much sensible but as far as this year goes early on Smilie was getting talked up as pick one. O'Sullivan looked like a star last year but injury and a pretty ordinary return must a have a few eyes looking elsewhere.

Trainor is a North high end proposition. They have a plethora of mids.

• Marc Murphy
  • Tom Scully
  • Andrew McGrath

Murphy was an elite mid.

• Smillie 194cm
  • Langford 190cm
  • Lalor 187 cm

Lalor has not “come from nowhere”, his stocks were high last year. If anything, he’s dropped more than rise recently

Stagro doesn't say much sensible but as far as this year goes early on Smilie was getting talked up as pick one. O'Sullivan looked like a star last year but injury and a pretty ordinary return must a have a few eyes looking elsewhere.
I wouldn't write FOS off yet. Its difficult missing so much time. These kids don't get access to full time professional facilities and rehab coaching. FOS is still finishing school. Its difficult... he's way short of match fitness right now.

I just don't agree with you on that point at all I'm afraid. I don't agree that it's unlikely Jagga goes pick 1. I think the field for pick 1 is wide open. I have Jag in a group of four (Draper, Smillie, FOS, Jagga) tier 1 prospects. I favor Draper myself, but could see any of those four picked at 1. There are other highly respected draft watchers that have Jagga at 1:

I could also see Lalor emerging from the next group and taking that mantle if he finds form and shows the talent I believe he has.

It's the most wide open field I can recall.

This year is deep and even. I'd hate to be picking. It feels like a few high picks could bust and a few in that pick 15 to 20 group could end up some of the cream. I usually have a standout favourite player but none are feeling like guaranteed stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back