List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Another we could go after, is Ned McHenry from the Crows. Out of contract this year former first-round pick which we have all expressed we need (even if that means not getting established AFL talent). Plays half-forward but he has the size and maturity to play midfield. Could be an under-utilised gem on the cheap and under 25 age bracket.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 1.46.23 pm.png

We dont need Houston, he would be another poor list management move by the club. Good player but would cost too much for a 27-28yo. Where did we have to get an elite midfielders, get lost on everyone frothing over another back flanker? IF the club give up our compensation pick for him well they can go and get ........ that will be me done.
It’s of script and just plain stupid, this is us though we say one thing and do something else. It would infuriate me to think we effectively trade battle for Houston, surely his manager is just using us to get some urgency into Melbourne.

Last edited:
@gringo2011 what do you reckon? We would have something to argue about for the next decade about top ups or list coverage

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see the sense in filling holes but not at the cost of a high draft pick.

Definitely worth pick 8 and probably something else and we would have the best Half back line in the league, NAZ, Sinclair and Houston
But.... we need mids and blowing up our firsts with Tassie coming in is as dumb as it gets.
Houston is an AA, but we are in no position to trade for him.

Houston would at least free Nas or Sinclair up to play mids.

As much as I love the cut and thrust of the trade period, I honestly just hope we play a straight bat with our first rounders this year. If we only have one - keep it. If we're lucky enough to get another - keep both. Do our homework, go to the draft, find the best mids available, and take them.

If we want to get funky using later picks or fringe players - go for it. But unless an undeniably massive opportunity comes up (and Houston doesn't fit into that category), then I'll save my excitement for draft night.

He would be a big upgrade on Bonner in that half back role but not sure he would be worth the extra cost, Bonner cost us nothing.

I think we have seen enough of Sincs to know that he is an AA HBF, but as a mid should be limited to shorts stints there.

Nas as a mid is a complete unknown. He was recruited to be a weapon in space and that is exactly what he has become, even if it is on the HBF rather than the wing.

If we are ever to become a genuine Top 4 team we need to bring in genuine mids, rather than to keep trying to play players who are better elsewhere as mids.

We dont need Houston, he would be another poor list management move by the club. Good player but would cost too much for a 27-28yo. Where did we have to get elite midfielders get lost on everyone frothing over another back flanker? IF the club give up our compensation pick for him well they can go and get ........ that will be me done.
I’d take a two time All-Australian who will probably be a five time All Australian by the time he finishes. Or we could draft the next Nick Coffield. Look at what Patty Dangerfield has done for Geelong and he moved at a similar age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d take a two time All-Australian who will probably be a five time All Australian by the time he finishes. Or we could draft the next Nick Coffield. Look at what Patty Dangerfield has done for Geelong and he moved at a similar age.
We already have a 2 time AA and a 21 year old who is knocking on the door of being an A grader in the same position. The cost is far too high for the overall improvement he would bring.

You cant compare that to Geelong bringing in a top 2 player in the competition.

Last edited:

Paddy is a dominant MIDFIELDER, Houston is an outside flakey flanker FFS.

Oh I’ll take him, just not for a first plus more.

Overheard in 2019:
If you add Brad Hill, Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, Dan Butler then we will be challenging again next year

To be fair we were 3 goals down half way through the last quarter of a semi final the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can be a bunch of bedwetters and trade away access to high end draft talent for possible short term success or stick with the plan to accumulate & develop young talent setting us up for the long term.

We are already close to a finals team with the current crop.

Definitely worth pick 8 and probably something else and we would have the best Half back line in the league, NAZ, Sinclair and Houston
But.... we need mids and blowing up our firsts with Tassie coming in is as dumb as it gets.
Houston is an AA, but we are in no position to trade for him.

Spot on!!!

No point wasting picks on the the type of player which is already our greatest strength.

Need an inside bull or two.
Would rather go young and get like a Peatling or go middle-aged and go Andy Brayshaw.

You can't psych out Stone Cold Hugo Garcia. Pressure is scared of him. Hugo transcends ego, he operates on a high plain than us mortals. He could stare you down so intensely that your bowels would involuntarily let go.
Chuck Norris asked Hugo Garcia for his opinion about Aussie rules football😉

I can see a bit in what you are saying - he has the attributes to play a fleet footed high half forward - Dylan Moore, Alex Neal-Bullen, Tom Papley, Zac Bailey, etc.

I actually think that role is the most underrated role in AFL football - integral to team defence in quickly filling up midfield space and adding numbers back, but then so important to ball movement on the quick break, finding pockets of space and ensuring quick and efficient kicking.

But agree with others, in the end, he is projecting as a really agile, quick, ground ball, contest player - he might be our Draper, Smith, Reid......
Tom Papley is a gun footy player...he is also slightly intellectually challenged ( I have met him). I go to quite a few Swans games, when they put him in for centre bounces he is electric.
If Hugo ends up the equivalent of Tom Papley...winner winner chicken dinner🥰

He would be a big upgrade on Bonner in that half back role but not sure he would be worth the extra cost, Bonner cost us nothing.
I reckon I’d be an upgrade on Bonner at half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back