2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Houston news is the best thing I have heard all week!!!

Honestly if we desparately want another back flanker we can take Travaglia at the draft. He is better over head and provides the same drive from defence. The major win is he is an 18yo and we would get 15 years service out of him rather than 6. Plus we have Hastie and McLennan developing well and will be including Hofmann, I think we will be well covered in that position.

Recruiting at the National Draft is not just about the following year, its about setting your club up for the next decade. We all want the club to improve, so how many opportunities do you think we will get of having 2 x early picks in a really strong draft. The best midfielders are nearly always taken in the top 10 of the draft or at least you give your club the best chance.

We desparately need A grade or elite midfielders if we want to acheive the ultimate sucess and this year is our best chance to add to that. With some fortune Windhager, Phillipou and Garcia make the grade. I dont think Henry has the game to become a full time mid but playing a few minutes here and there will also benefit. How nice will it be to add 2 x almost garuanteed mids to that group and have our core set up for the next 10-15 years.

Last edited:
After all the rumors, all the posts, all the hype...

Watch this be the year we finally get Heeney to nominate us. 15 year, $45m contract plus a promise that he gets to takeover as club president when he retires.

Will cost us 7, 8, Pou, Steele and Marshall as well as our future 2nd + 3rd rounders for the next 3 years but with Heeney and Soldo's missus coming in we will be OK.
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

For me what was more encouraging was that he probably top 2 in two of those games and top 4 in the others. This means he can actually be a BOG type of player. We need that week in week out.
Pou's 4 games since he came back from the VFL:
Sydney - 26 and a goal, 5 tackles, 6 contested
Adelaide - 20 and a goal, 9 tackles, 15 contested
Brisbane - 24 and a goal, 3 tackles, 7 contested
Carlton - 20 and a goal, 9 tackles, 7 contested
Playing a mix of on ball and half forward. 9 shots on goal during that span. Unfortunate that he had two breaks in between with injury.
Either way, he looked like a goal kicking impact mid. And he got outside ball, so it wasn't just grunt work.
If this is the base, as a 19 year old, we've got an all australian midfielder in the future. Fingers crossed.

I can’t undersell how bad his life at home would have been. Very close family and his dad got up and left. His mum is devastated and isolated and they arnt speaking to him. He still lives at home with her but they are selling the family home. He will be better next year but with what went on I’m surprised he played some good footy at all.
Oh god that is awful. I wish him all the best, it's a lot for a young bloke from a tight family to deal with.

He had the second year blues a year late. He had moments where he looked back to his best still. Phillipou could easily do the same next year. Development isn't linear and if they are carrying an injury or need a clean out it can derail a season.
Was mentioned somewhere on this board previously that he also took on too much in the pre-season and overdid it. Which would have impacted his work load as they tried to look after his body.

I can’t undersell how bad his life at home would have been. Very close family and his dad got up and left. His mum is devastated and isolated and they arnt speaking to him. He still lives at home with her but they are selling the family home. He will be better next year but with what went on I’m surprised he played some good footy at all.

Wow you never know what goes on behind the scenes. Being such a close family and still living at home it would have knocked him around.

Hopefully things settle for him next year and he can get his game going again.

Wow you never know what goes on behind the scenes. Being such a close family and still living at home it would have knocked him around.

Hopefully things settle for him next year and he can get his game going again.

My parents separated, 2 close family members got sick and passed away - all within a couple of years when I was Mitch's age. I went through hell, but I didn't have 70,000 people watching my every move wondering why I couldn't kick straight or I'm not dominating games.

Reminds you these guys are just kids and are just human.

if McKercher was in this draft, is he a clear number one?

Yeah I think so. This top end is a bit less stand out than most years but the depth is way better with players in the 20s looking like potential A graders even.

Pick 7&8 to Gold Coast for picks

6, 12 & 20

Get best mid at 6 and Taj Hotton at 12
And another player at 20

Gc have a pick for Rioli and Lombard
They absolutely do not need pick 20

Hotton is a gun
I definitely like the pick swap idea.

Ashcroft will push 6, 7, 8, 12 & 20 back one.

Lombard could push that 12 to 14. 20 could become 23 after Ashcroft, Lombard and Kako (Marshall for Bris floating around there too, as are the Camporeale boys).

In summary

+1 for 6, 7, 8

+2 for 12

+3 for 20

Pick 6 (7) - I'd go best mid, hoping for Langford, Smillie or Reid.

Pick 12 (14) - Hopefully Lindsay or slightly reach for Hynes (tentative on Hotton just out of injury fears).

Pick 20 (23-25) - Go tall with best remaining out of Dodson (best ruck), Shanahan, Armstrong, or one of the Whitlocks.

Pick 24 (28-32) - Best available, such as Ough, Dattoli, Gross or best remaining tall def.

FS/NGA - Peckett in as F/S, Cole in as NGA.

Cat B - Are we allowed one more Cat B? If not, I'm not sold on Hoffman. Give him a year at Sandy and grab him as the Sandy listed player if he shows something next year.

Dream scenario:

DRAFT

• Langford/Smillie (mid) replaces Ross
  • Hynes (fwd/mid) replaces Allison (sorta)
  • Dodson (Ruck) replaces Campbell
  • 1 x Whitlock (Key Fwf/Drf) or Ough (Mid/fwd) replaces Battle
  • Peckett (Mid/Fwd) - Replaces Bonner (on the list, not the field. Although I think he'd be handy on a HBF).
  • Cole (Key Def) replaces Van Es

TRADE

- Macrae in for F3 to replace one more delisted/retired player.

If Crouch is kept on (seems doubtful), and I'd personally love Hayes, Paton and Hotton to get a 1 yr deal, but one has to go.

I'd personally say Paton. Has lost a bit since the injury and has reached his ceiling. Butt be sure if Hotton has and Hayes is much needed Ruck depth and seems to have gotten over his injuries.

Interesting watch on Membrey as a UFA. I hope he stays, but if he goes we have enough to cover for him with Caminiti, Sharman, Owens and a draftee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To some extent he’s almost a second year given first year disruptions. Perhaps the quite delayed start to pre-season. Certainly looked to have dropped confidence.
One thing I noticed was poor kicking for goal. He nailed a couple of beauties but couldn’t get near it sometimes. I’ve noticed the set shot becomes a ‘shot gun’ for a lot of players when players are down a bit. (Like dropped catches for club cricketers - especially the long hang in the air types) I remember, even Goddard having a dirty patch, where he could barely reach a pocket from a set shot at 45/50, whereas he kicked like a laser rocket when he was on. Some of Mitchito’s passes were awry too. But that said, some of NAS’s were too, and he would be in the top two or three kicks at the club.

Very sad to read that. And yes that would have have to had a large negative impact on Owens this season.

Dragons vs Stingrays PRELIM final

L.Ashcroft 32D 2.0
S.Marshall 26D 1.0
M.Reid 25D 0.1
H.Langford 24D 0.1
B.McKenzie 20D 6.2
C.Hynes 17D 0.0
H.Armstrong 8D 1.1

St Kilda
L.Kennedy 27D (played for Sandy VFL earlier this year)
S.Linder 22D
E.Peckett 16D 0.1
L.Hofmann 14D
A.Cole 9D

Dragons vs Stingrays PRELIM final

L.Ashcroft 32D 2.0
S.Marshall 26D 1.0
M.Reid 25D 0.1
H.Langford 24D 0.1
B.McKenzie 20D 6.2
C.Hynes 17D 0.0
H.Armstrong 8D 1.1

St Kilda
L.Kennedy 27D (played for Sandy VFL earlier this year)
S.Linder 22D
E.Peckett 16D 0.1
L.Hofmann 14D
A.Cole 9D
Is Kennedy that lanky defender? Though he was good when he played for the zebras. Worth a rookie spot

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back