2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

You want a touch of FIGJAM in your elite types. Not too much, though. Pou is a good example.

Like Professor Weirdo and his creation, Milton the Monster, when it came to using a "tincture of tenderness, I must only use a touch, for without a tincture of tenderness, he might destroy me, whoops too much!" And we all know how that ended! All things in moderation.
Yep. We need alpha and a leader (or 3) or both (in all 3).
1. Langford / Smilie
2. Travaglia
3. Reid
4. Lindsey

Assuming the top echelon don't make it to us, I think this is how I want it to land.

Does Travaglia physically remind anyone of an albino Phillipou at all?
When we have 7,8.9,10 I will take Smilie, Travaglia, Tauru or Armstrong, then the slider Lalor.

I mean if we used 8, F1 & 27 and turned that into 2 & 7 or 3 & 7 with a late second back I wouldn't be upset at all. Next year's draft is a write-off and we can trade our 2026 & 2027 back in if we need too plus any capital from outgoing players.
I just cant want to chew up a 2stRDPs into 1.
A future 1st into a teens pick this year will do me.

Any Australian with Irish heritage can trace their lineage back to the early Irish kings, if looking hard enough.
I can trace mine back to an Irish king and on my English side back to the master of Horse for William the Conqueror. Doesn't stop me from being a fat bald Aussie bogan sitting in front of a computer crapping on about football day after day ;)
Edward III for me ... 14th century

For those with question marks over Smillie's competitiveness against the better players/bigger bodies in the U18 champs and having not played VFL, this is him vs Coburg VFL and Footscray VFL

Second game v Footscray was behind the ball a bit. Some decision making and footskills were diabolical, but one thing that stood out was his run and carry. For a big, contested clearance player (in future) it's great that he has this nuance to his game as it makes me feel like he will be able to not just hunt the footy but link up in ball movement play, whilst his defensive positioning and height would be a huge asset also. Think I'm falling more and more in love with Josh.

Phoenix Hargrave showed his best traits in SANFL alongside Sid Draper. He's not even rated in the top 40

Tobie Travaglia showed his best traits in VFL for Carlton

Jobe Shanahan showed his best traits in VFL for Essendon

Bo Allan showed his best traits in WAFL for Peel Thunder (played in their GF)

Hamish Davis showed his best traits in WAFL for Claremont (played in their EF)

Elwood Peckett showed his best traits in VFL for Sandringham

And that's just off the top of my head. The list goes on

So why are those names more bankable again?

A classic straw man! Haha

The four I mentioned are the most bankable primarily because they possess the most damaging and translatable qualities and are generally considered consensus top 4 from ‘experts’.

Secondarily, they all play the position we need.

As a tertiary assurance, they have proven these qualities are translatable against senior players, much like some of players you mentioned.

Put simply, the guys likely to be available at 7,8 are not as exciting, have a couple more doubts or inconsistencies in their game or don’t quite play the position we’re after.

Playing it out if we pulled of north 2, 25 for 7, 8

2. O’Sullivan or Lalor
25. Dodson or Hannerford

7. Smilie
8. Reid or Lindsay

Obvs in addition to other picks, which would you prefer of the above?

Walsh is a gut-running productive two-way runner

Lindsay is also a two-way runner, but he's more classy and uses the ball a lot more effectively. He's more a Gulden or a Butters (if he ends up an inside mid) than a Walsh
I was thinking there is Gulden similarities, especially in the way he kicks the footy. Beautiful kick. Will make it as an inside mid as his attack on the footy is ferocious.

I’d be happy to take him with 8 tbh

Second game v Footscray was behind the ball a bit. Some decision making and footskills were diabolical, but one thing that stood out was his run and carry. For a big, contested clearance player (in future) it's great that he has this nuance to his game as it makes me feel like he will be able to not just hunt the footy but link up in ball movement play, whilst his defensive positioning and height would be a huge asset also. Think I'm falling more and more in love with Josh.
Agreed. Feel like he tends to rush his kicking and decision making which is why its sometimes wayward. I think this composure piece can easily be addressed at AFL level. Also cant forget he was playing against VFL opposition so theres an increase in pressure etc

Either way, with a 195.5cm inside bull at pick 7, can't expect him to be perfect. He used to be a full time half back and only moved into the mids I think over the past 2 years so still a bit of upside in that space as he refines his midfield craft. As you said, still a player we can expect the club/list managers to really like

This is not the year to trade up into the top 5 IMO, for the first time we have two clubs ready to trade out of the top 5. None of the top 7 mids are certainties all have some question marks North may end using pick 2 to select the Viking it is all in the eye of the beholder this year.

The consensus is starting to come together now on who will be the first five or so but that is more because Cal in particular is starting to get word on which players clubs like, particularly Richmond, North and we all presume Adelaide will take Draper. That doesn’t mean a bunch of clubs don’t have a completely different draft order.

Smile is best case Tom Green / Cripps style inside beast both went later in the teens in their draft both shouldn’t have in hindsight. He should be high on our list would be a perfect fit. If he is the one that gets to our pick 7 we are just as likely to have the best player in the draft as Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A classic straw man! Haha

The four I mentioned are the most bankable primarily because they possess the most damaging and translatable qualities and are generally considered consensus top 4 from ‘experts’.

Secondarily, they all play the position we need.

As a tertiary assurance, they have proven these qualities are translatable against senior players, much like some of players you mentioned.

Put simply, the guys likely to be available at 7,8 are not as exciting, have a couple more doubts or inconsistencies in their game or don’t quite play the position we’re after.

Playing it out if we pulled of north 2, 25 for 7, 8

2. O’Sullivan or Lalor
25. Dodson or Hannerford

7. Smilie
8. Reid or Lindsay

Obvs in addition to other picks, which would you prefer of the above?
I mean I agree with what you're saying, just not the "bankable" part. The top 4 are the top 4 more because they have the highest ceilings x likelihood of achieving it

I'd argue Lindsay would be top 4 for "bankable" - he looks to be a very safe AFL player, just whether or not he can become a genuine star which has him further down. Travaglia with his aggression is also pretty "bankable", but also the same question mark. You can make the case for all the players - does Draper's kicking hold him back at AFL level? Does Jagga's lack of size and standout physical attributes mean his game doesn't translate as well to AFL? Does Lalor's play style ruin his body and result in an injury plagued career? The only "bankable" player is FOS but you could argue about him - does he just turn into Sam Walsh as an elite player but not a superstar?

I am one of FOS' biggest fans, but I have to say option 2 because the gap between Lindsay & Hannaford is a lot bigger than the gap between FOS and Smillie imo

If we got pick 9 then it might be a different discussion

This is why FS/Acadamy bidding is out of balance. Lions picked up 800point of value in a trade for nothing. Plus they get a 20% discount.
Now they could pickup Ashcroft from a bid at pick4 from only having had pick20 to start with.
If they didn’t do the trade and there was no discount, they would’ve need pick 20 AND pick 15 to match a bid at pick 4.

Imagine trying to get that in this draft. Surely it makes sense for it to be a little bit harder to grab a fun, FS or not.

View attachment 2138018

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Makes our 47 a 43 now

Any Australian with Irish heritage can trace their lineage back to the early Irish kings, if looking hard enough.
I can trace mine back to an Irish king and on my English side back to the master of Horse for William the Conqueror. Doesn't stop me from being a fat bald Aussie bogan sitting in front of a computer crapping on about football day after day ;)
Yeah I've got an ancestor that was a major player in the Braveheart movie, unfortunately, I'm not heir to any large tracts of land. Direct line from Ned Kelly's mother, and somehow related to Michael Tuck, but dunno how.

I do like the story about the Abney-Hasting family though, perhaps rightfully so the father (who has now passed) should have been King and his son (simon?) would now be King.
Instead, they lived in Jerilderie and the son ended up in Wangaratta working at the textiles factory. Dunno what he's doing now.

Last edited:
What are the chances of Lalor and/or Smillie making it to our picks?

Those two along with Phillipou/Windhager could look like an unbelievable midfield in a few years time.
Pretty much everything I've read of late suggests Lalor will go at least top 5, possibly top 3. I'd say we'd have to trade up to get him.

Windhager's an interesting one, almost the forgotten man. Injury has meant he's lacked some continuity but with a little luck with his body we might see a breakout year. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Those two along with Phillipou/Windhager could look like an unbelievable midfield in a few years time.
Smillie or Langford to me present the best chance of getting to us. All depends if Richmond get 6 (likely) and who Melbourne choose (who knows). Jagga sliding is the big unknown.

It sounds like Lalor is being considered by Richmond at pick 1. In any event they would swoop on him at 6 (Rioli pick) if he slid that far.

Smillie sounds like he will likely slide to us. A Smillie and Lindsay combo would be perfect. An inside bull and a classy two way runner. Both capable of playing a different role each in the guts.

It sounds like Lalor is being considered by Richmond at pick 1. In any event they would swoop on him at 6 (Rioli pick) if he slid that far.

Smillie sounds like he will likely slide to us. A Smillie and Lindsay combo would be perfect. An inside bull and a classy two way runner. Both capable of playing a different role each in the guts.
What are your thoughts on Reid?

Looks a classy bugger, I reckon hed look nice next to Smillie and Pou.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back