2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy who made those calls also tried to trade up for Tsatas. Reality is it can go either way and the top 4 are only just a whisker ahead of the next 4. Given our position we could very probably grab a top 4 pick if we wanted it, so if we don't the talant assessment is that 7&8 are a better thing.
I’m greedy. I want two. Especially as they are so evenly spread.

If we did end up with Essendon’s Pick 9 for our F1 & 27…would we swoop for Lalor and go for North’s 2 & 25 for 8 & 9?

Leaves us with
2, 7 and 25

Or would 7, 8 and 9 be a better option in this draft? 🧐

I know he seems a little polarising, but the more I watch this kid the more I like him. It's hard to teach footy smarts and he has them by the barrel load. So clean with his hands too. I can't see how he doesn't end up a midfielder at AFL level.

I've been deliberately hard on him for the lols but he's great when given space. For me it's where do we play him. I don't think he cuts it as a centre square mid so are we pushing out Henry or Wilson or Hill who all have express pace? That's why l prefer Lindsay. He's quicker, harder at it with a super kick and generally fits our style better. Reid could be an excellent distributor off HB but again does that fit our needs.
Too many question marks.

With all the comparisons what’s your opinion out of this years draft pool:

1. Who has the highest upside of becoming a star of the competion?
2. Who is the safest bet to be a quality midfielder 200 game one best 5 players in the team?
3. Who hits the ground running and is rising star next year?
4. Who is the highest ranked player you think will be a dud?
5. Who do you think Ross would fall in love with?
6. Who is going to be most injury cursed?
7. Who is going to be the most fun to watch?
8. Who is your Smokey from outside the top 20 or so?

For me:
1. Lalor (Has the power and skill to be special) Note-Smilie is my second choice
2. Ashcroft (not fair but almost a lock to be a very good player)
3. Smith (will get played and will rack up stats)
4. Armstrong (not sold on him)
5. Langford (has Lenny vibes and is super consistent)
6. Lalor (Hamstrings already a worry)
7. Reid (Has the tricks and vision)
8. Rhys Unwin

I've been deliberately hard on him for the lols but he's great when given space. For me it's where do we play him. I don't think he cuts it as a centre square mid so are we pushing out Henry or Wilson or Hill who all have express pace? That's why l prefer Lindsay. He's quicker, harder at it with a super kick and generally fits our style better. Reid could be an excellent distributor off HB but again does that fit our needs.
Too many question marks.
Where would you play Caleb Serong in our team? That’s where you’d put Reid.

I know he seems a little polarising, but the more I watch this kid the more I like him. It's hard to teach footy smarts and he has them by the barrel load. So clean with his hands too. I can't see how he doesn't end up a midfielder at AFL level.

I must admit those highlights are super impressive.

Too many question marks.
It’s the manlet and slowness which puts me off. But he’s super clean in that footage. Nick Daicos energy.

With all the comparisons what’s your opinion out of this years draft pool:

1. Who has the highest upside of becoming a star of the competion?
2. Who is the safest bet to be a quality midfielder 200 game one best 5 players in the team?
3. Who hits the ground running and is rising star next year?
4. Who is the highest ranked player you think will be a dud?
5. Who do you think Ross would fall in love with?
6. Who is going to be most injury cursed?
7. Who is going to be the most fun to watch?
8. Who is your Smokey from outside the top 20 or so?

For me:
1. Lalor (Has the power and skill to be special) Note-Smilie is my second choice
2. Ashcroft (not fair but almost a lock to be a very good player)
3. Smith (will get played and will rack up stats)
4. Armstrong (not sold on him)
5. Langford (has Lenny vibes and is super consistent)
7. Reid (Has the tricks and vision)
8. Rhys Unwin

1. Lalor
2. Ashcroft
3. Draper (most ready to go for his position)
4. Armstrong/Reid/Viking
5. Travaglia
7. Kako/Hannaford
8. Hannaford

Too many question marks.
I dunno, he looks a genuine centre square mid to me. He's got all the attributes for it. Knows where to be at the contest, good contested work, clean and quick hands.

It won't be from day one obviously and I realise he needs to strengthen up but in my eyes you play him as a genuine midfielder in a few years and let him learn his craft in the forward line in the meantime.

Sheezel MK2. Can't teach what he has to offer.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also worth noting that Lachie Neale wasn't a ready to go midfielder when he landed at freo and had to be pushed hard by none other than Ross Lyon to get his body up to shape to play as a genuine midfielder.

You can put muscle on, you can't teach those elite skills and footy smarts.

I dunno, he looks a genuine centre square mid to me. He's got all the attributes for it. Knows where to be at the contest, good contested work, clean and quick hands.

It won't be from day one obviously and I realise he needs to strengthen up but in my eyes you play him as a genuine midfielder in a few years and let him learn his craft in the forward line in the meantime.
He doesn't fair so well when it's hot in the kitchen. In my view if you take what he's not good at, then take the stuff he gets away with because it's juniors, there's better options for us.
We're we at an earlier stage of list development then ok, but l think it's apparent what we need and l don't think he's it. I actually think he suit's Richmond or Melbourne most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheezel MK2. Can't teach what he has to offer.

This. It's a couple of the little things that he does, that separates himself from others in my opinion.

I'm like triggering bro and ScrappyDo to some extent though, there is a plethora of talent in this draft across multiple positions and I want them all!

Looking backwards if we knew what Naughton would become (contested marking beast) would we have passed on him? Does Tauru become something similar? Does Lalor have it in him to go up a level? Does Smillie?

If I had only one early pick in this draft, I'm not sure I pick up Reid. But with two, I think he would be one decent selection that fills our midfield needs.

He doesn't fair so well when it's hot in the kitchen. In my view if you take what he's not good at, then take the stuff he gets away with because it's juniors, there's better options for us.
We're we at an earlier stage of list development then ok, but l think it's apparent what we need and l don't think he's it. I actually think he suit's Richmond or Melbourne most.
Melbourne needs a mid that can see over the top of Viney.

I've been watching a few of the champs games yesterday and this morning and I don't get the assessment to be honest. Gets pushed off occasionally I can agree with that, but he's also able to win a lot of contested footy and mostly uses it well.

I hope we don't get too focussed on trying to find someone that can come in and play a role from day one and then eventually miss out on a footballer that has an outstanding career.

Luke Dunstan looked a ha dy footballer year one.

Anyway, I like a lot of prospects and can see why it's seen as such an even draft so I'm not set on anyone, but you'd be mad to dismiss him from what I've seen. There's a reason some have him ranked as high as 3.

He looks like a quicker version of Hunter Clark.

Nice player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a great skill set but I think only as good as the other 2 mids in the centre square.
Pair him with a beast grunt mid and he will be elite ,but an ordinary pig and he will go missing.

This. It's a couple of the little things that he does, that separates himself from others in my opinion.

I'm like triggering bro and ScrappyDo to some extent though, there is a plethora of talent in this draft across multiple positions and I want them all!

Looking backwards if we knew what Naughton would become (contested marking beast) would we have passed on him? Does Tauru become something similar? Does Lalor have it in him to go up a level? Does Smillie?

If I had only one early pick in this draft, I'm not sure I pick up Reid. But with two, I think he would be one decent selection that fills our midfield needs.
I like every kid that is in our range and all have traits that will translate into AFL footy. I think that is why Dalrymple said we will draft on a needs basis.

IMO, Jagga, FoS and Lalor are the top 3 but then 4-10 not much separates. Even then there isn't much between the top 3 and then 4-10. Keep 7&8 and we will be fine. I'm hoping for Langford/Smillie + Reid/Travaglia combo.

I'd be ok with that if we got Lalor, not so much for the other 2.
I went back and had a look at LDU's draft vids for comparison and they're amazingly similar. LDU probably a bit more advanced but the speed and power shows through. If we got pick 2 though l believe Richmond would just take him at 1.
I’m probably more keen on O’Sullivan than Smith. Would be thrilled with either Lalor or O’Sullivan at 2. Would be hopeful of a pick 25ish back. Yeah I have no doubts on Lalor at all, LDU a good comparison who we’d bend over for now but certainly not on draft night for whatever reason 🙄

Id still do the same for Smith / Draper at 3 with WC as a back up plan.

Failing that, I’d hold 7 for Smilie and trade 8 back for x2 teen picks

How likely is any player going to end up the AFL player they are compared to? Very rarely.

I think he clearly has some elite attributes that will see him become a pretty handy AFL mid. His footy starts, contested work, clean and quick hands look pretty impressive to me.

Time will tell, but he looks like a player to me.

In actual game play he looks exceptional. His creativity and read of the play look elite. He’s slow but his vision is quicker than others.

I'd be ok with that if we got Lalor, not so much for the other 2.
I went back and had a look at LDU's draft vids for comparison and they're amazingly similar. LDU probably a bit more advanced but the speed and power shows through. If we got pick 2 though l believe Richmond would just take him at 1.

I just haven’t seen that guy. He gets low numbers as a mid. Looks better forward. If everything goes to plan he’s Petracca or DeGoey. Not sure he has the crazy X factor of Dusty. I reckon he looks a bit more like Stringer. Still a very good player if he gets there. Only attitude held Stringer back.

Some guys look better as a highlight package. Reid owned games and I reckon looked better in actual match situations. Especially in the wet where his touch was clean when others struggled. He’s just so smart and creative. He’s a step ahead of the play. I love him.

Too many question marks.

Lindsay is an old school super solid type. Low bust good at most things. Reid is a guy who is an exceptional footy brain with speed limitations but looks great on the eye. Think he could be an exceptional talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back