List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Tom Campbell the first (of many) big fish to join the Dees 🐟🎣

Who do you want with Pick 5 (6)?

• Luke Trainor (194cm, Key Defender, Sandringham Dragons)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bo Allan (191cm, Midfielder/Defender, Peel Thunder)

• Tobie Travaglia (187cm, Defender, Bendigo Pioneers)

• Taj Hotton (182cm, Forward/Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons)

• Alix Tauru (191cm, Key Defender, Gippsland Power)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)

Confirmed ins:
  • Tom Campbell (Free Agent)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but that's not a positive if we get pick 13 for Kozzy leaving or pick 25 for Rivers leaving. Giving up a potential top 5 pick to get pick 14 this year seems stupid to me
Trading futures is always a gamble. next years draft also has a lot of academy kids coming through so that could come into consideration too.

For mine I'd trust Jason Taylor. If he's got players in mind and thinks it's worth the punt then I'll back him in.

Dunno, with player power these days and if they are going to a state with only two teams its hard to get a fair value most of the time I think.
When the team they're going to has a lot of picks available it does make it easier to ask for more.

I don't hate the idea but if we try and get a deal like that done it might even be Richmond we need to get on the phone with.

Trading futures is always a gamble. next years draft also has a lot of academy kids coming through so that could come into consideration too.

For mine I'd trust Jason Taylor. If he's got players in mind and thinks it's worth the punt then I'll back him in.
I've never got the gagging over Taylor, he's made some good picks also made some shockers. Jefferson, Weid and all the effort we put into getting Kolt all not great. Laurie absolutely shit like there's been some stinkers.
Giving up a potential top 5-7 pick just ain't a good idea for mine especially when there's a massive chance we implode. Even what we gave up for McAdam looks poor.

I've never got the gagging over Taylor, he's made some good picks also made some shockers. Jefferson, Weid and all the effort we put into getting Kolt all not great. Laurie absolutely shit like there's been some stinkers.
Giving up a potential top 5-7 pick just ain't a good idea for mine especially when there's a massive chance we implode. Even what we gave up for McAdam looks poor.
I rate him but yeah, he has made some blunders for sure. He wanted to trade the farm for Bailey Humphrey too lets not forget, 3 firsts or something wasn't it? That would have been terrible as things currently stand.

I'd say his hitrate has been pretty good for the most part. I think since he's been here our strategy has been that he finds players he rates then we move picks to get those players. People melted in 2019 when we traded our future first to North. That got us Kozzy. Even in the case of Laurie he was only picked because Geelong jumped us at the last second to take Holmes. He was also very keen on Georgiades and Butters in their years.

I rate him but yeah, he has made some blunders for sure. He wanted to trade the farm for Bailey Humphrey too lets not forget, 3 firsts or something wasn't it? That would have been terrible as things currently stand.
Yeah hes not a terrible recruiter at all he's a good one and he's made some great decisions, but definitely ****ed quite a few as well. I don't think he's a top 5 recruiter in the AFL

Since everyone is starting to notice how comprised this year's draft is with academy, father son, FA compo picks and equalisation/special assistance picks.

Let's also recap the last 5 years as easy to forget how screwed they all become.

2024: likely 4 of top 20 academy/Fson, plus 3 FA compo and 2 North equalisation picks (traded away) in top 25. Essentially 9 of 25 picks.

2023: 4 of top 16 and 7 of top 26 + pick 3 and end of First compo to North + saints & crows end of first compo. So 11 of 26 picks.

2022: 4 of top 17 Academy/Fson + FA compo picks at 27 & 35.

2021: pick 2 (Darcy) & 4 (Daicos) but really 1 & 2. Compo pick end of first and couple of FA compo in top 40.

2020: No 1 pick (Jamarra), 2 in top 5 and 7 in top 40 for academy/fson. Plus FA compo at pick 7, 10 & 23. Equalisation pick 13 to GC. 5 of top 13 gone. 11 of top 40.

* Keep in mind that academy and f/son bids tend to come later than their true value, never earlier.

** 2025 won't be any better.

***2026 onwards expect massive concessions to Tassie

TLDR; draft is a compromised joke every year - especially mid table teams who get bent over every year.

If we want to include Brayshaws name as an out in the thread header we should include Kentfield as an in as he basically took his list spot.

Leaves us with 3 list spots so wouldn’t expect any major list overhauls this off season.

Bizarre we haven’t ****ed off Smith yet but we probably don’t think we can find any better than a bloke who can’t even train and enjoys a sniff before a finals match while relying on his old man to fight his battles.

Last edited:
Bizarre we haven’t ****ed off Smith yet but we probably don’t think we can find any better than a bloke who can’t even train and enjoys a sniff before a finals match.
I'm pretty sure I read that we can't until the investigation is concluded?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want to include Brayshaws name as an out in the thread header we should include Kentfield as an in as he basically took his list spot.

Leaves us with 3 list spots so wouldn’t expect any major list overhauls this off season.

Bizarre we haven’t ****ed off Smith yet but we probably don’t think we can find any better than a bloke who can’t even train and enjoys a sniff before a finals match while relying on his old man to fight his battles.
Smith is gone. We're just letting his contract run out rather than officially delisting him prior.

Smith is gone. We're just letting his contract run out rather than officially delisting him prior.

Why would we do that? It’s going to cost us the same either way, let’s use that list spot to pickup a mature age recruit from the VFL like the cats always seem to be able to do opposed to having a bloke who isn’t even allowed at the club,

Why would we do that? It’s going to cost us the same either way, let’s use that list spot to pickup a mature age recruit from the VFL like the cats always seem to be able to do.
Because terminating his contract could lead to an unfair dismissal lawsuit if his charges were overturned, idk? I reckon we're keeping ourselves as far away as possible from the whole thing. We're not going to give him another contract. It won't affect our list management decisions this year.

There was this article from a couple of weeks back.

Melbourne forward Joel Smith is set to be delisted by the Demons as he awaits a potential multi-year ban for allegedly trafficking cocaine.
Smith was provisionally suspended by the AFL in October after testing positive to the illicit substance following the Round 23 game against Hawthorn last year.
The 28-year-old has effectively walked away from the game over the matter as Sports Integrity Australia continues its investigation into whether Smith offered cocaine to teammates.
Smith was prohibited from training at Melbourne this year, and has lost interest in Australian rules. He was out of contract at the end of the season and will not be offered a new contract by the club.
The son of club great Shaun Smith played 42 games across four seasons for the Demons and missed out on the 2021 premiership win due to a calf injury.

There was this article from a couple of weeks back.

Imagine having the nerve to say you're disillusioned with football 😂

"Why won't they let me take banned substances and play in peace?"

Imagine having the nerve to say you're disillusioned with football 😂

"Why won't they let me take banned substances and play in peace?"
Yeah I kind of see the argument that he's copping a very harsh punishment for something that is rife in the league but when you run the gauntlet so brazenly when the league makes it so easy to not get caught you only have yourself to blame.

don't hate the idea of trading our F1 if this year's draft is as stacked as people say, even though I think we'll be giving up a top 4 pick next year.
Next year's draft will have 4 possibility 5 key positions prospects and several bullish hybrid mid forward types in top 12 to 15 which will be important if the recruitment staff are actively involved in decision making.

Yeah I kind of see the argument that he's copping a very harsh punishment for something that is rife in the league but when you run the gauntlet so brazenly when the league makes it so easy to not get caught you only have yourself to blame.
Especially considering that he should have matured at that point.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Tom Campbell the first (of many) big fish to join the Dees 🐟🎣

Back