• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't go near the high draft pick who has never been able to get near it for their original club.
Particularly when an organisation like Hawthorn can't get the best out of him. Box Hill develops talent, that's a fact. If Sam Mitchell and his team can't get the best out of DGB then I'm inclined to believe that few others can either.

Particularly when an organisation like Hawthorn can't get the best out of him. Box Hill develops talent, that's a fact. If Sam Mitchell and his team can't get the best out of DGB then I'm inclined to believe that few others can either.
Same at every club though. Hawthorn aren't anything special.

Cause I have nothing else to do on Sundays when there is no footy on, I just went back and looked at every draft from 2010 to 2020 and the top 10 draft picks that have moved clubs.

To have a fair comparison with the DGB scenario, I have removed players like Rankine and Tom Boyd, that were significant trades and focused instead on the players that were essentially moved on from their existing club. I left Logue out because I think Freo wanted to keep him, just couldn't justify the $$$.

To say it is an ugly list would be kind. By my count, only 5 have been good pickups for their new club. And 4 of them were from GC/GWS where they had so many early picks that they didn't know what to do with them.

D Stephens
N Coffield
J Stephenson
P Dow
J Bowes
W Brodie
J Scrimshaw
W Setterfield
S Petrevski Seton
J Schache
A Francis
C Ah Chee
S Weideman
J Pickett
P Ahern
P Wright
N Cockatoo
J Billings
K Koladjashni
J Aish
N Freeman
J O'Rourke
L Plowman
J Toumpas
S Mayes
J Patton
W Hoskin Elliot
B Longer
L Sumner

Cause I have nothing else to do on Sundays when there is no footy on, I just went back and looked at every draft from 2010 to 2020 and the top 10 draft picks that have moved clubs.

To have a fair comparison with the DGB scenario, I have removed players like Rankine and Tom Boyd, that were significant trades and focused instead on the players that were essentially moved on from their existing club. I left Logue out because I think Freo wanted to keep him, just couldn't justify the $$$.

To say it is an ugly list would be kind. By my count, only 5 have been good pickups for their new club. And 4 of them were from GC/GWS where they had so many early picks that they didn't know what to do with them.

D Stephens
N Coffield
J Stephenson
P Dow
J Bowes
W Brodie
J Scrimshaw
W Setterfield
S Petrevski Seton
J Schache
A Francis
C Ah Chee
S Weideman
J Pickett
P Ahern
P Wright
N Cockatoo
J Billings
K Koladjashni
J Aish
N Freeman
J O'Rourke
L Plowman
J Toumpas
S Mayes
J Patton
W Hoskin Elliot
B Longer
L Sumner
Yeah, it's a pretty ugly list. Though to be fair, there are a number I'd exclude from this list because they were so far into their career that they'd probably already hit their ceiling or were close enough to it (the likes of Mayes, Patton, Billings, Cockatoo, Weideman, Francis, SPS, Dow, Coffield, etc).

I also wouldn't consider players like Francis, Setterfield and Brodie flops either to be fair. They're all useful depth and in all cases the receiving club pretty much got them for free with that likely being their expectation.

But I think that's the more pertinent issue, DGB would just be a speculative depth pick-up. I'd rather just back in Francis and our youngsters.

Well we got Jordon who is an upgrade to who we had on our list (Clarke) and Francis who was probably recruited as backup to both McCartin brothers and Melican. Francis has been tried both ends of the ground but is limited in both positions. He's certainly not a bust but it's hard to see him pushing to claim a regular first team position and is purely as injury cover. Happy for another year for him but Snell and Edwards should make enough progress to get in front of him next year.
Would like to get another small / medium forward ...just not sure about Wicks as a long term option ? Can't see Konstanty hanging around and Hanily has only had half a season.
Another defender and possibly another project full forward. Only spanner in the works is if Ladhams leaves and we feel we need another backup ruck. Happy to stay with Grundy, McLean , Amartey , Stretch and Green but the powers to be might want to go for a AFL listed ruck who struggles to get game time.
Don't think they will rock the boat too much this trade period and if Ladhams does leave will open up some cap space to re sign Warner.

D Stephens
N Coffield
J Stephenson
P Dow
J Bowes
W Brodie
J Scrimshaw
W Setterfield
S Petrevski Seton
J Schache
A Francis
C Ah Chee
S Weideman
J Pickett
P Ahern
P Wright
N Cockatoo
J Billings
K Koladjashni
J Aish
N Freeman
J O'Rourke
L Plowman
J Toumpas
S Mayes
J Patton
W Hoskin Elliot
B Longer
L Sumner
Demonstrates again, if it was necessary, how inexact is the nature of judging the future value of 18 year olds.

Mason Wood has signed a three-year deal with St Kilda.

Yet another player who has gone on to bigger and better things once leaving us...

Well we got Jordon who is an upgrade to who we had on our list (Clarke) and Francis who was probably recruited as backup to both McCartin brothers and Melican. Francis has been tried both ends of the ground but is limited in both positions. He's certainly not a bust but it's hard to see him pushing to claim a regular first team position and is purely as injury cover. Happy for another year for him but Snell and Edwards should make enough progress to get in front of him next year.
Would like to get another small / medium forward ...just not sure about Wicks as a long term option ? Can't see Konstanty hanging around and Hanily has only had half a season.
Another defender and possibly another project full forward. Only spanner in the works is if Ladhams leaves and we feel we need another backup ruck. Happy to stay with Grundy, McLean , Amartey , Stretch and Green but the powers to be might want to go for a AFL listed ruck who struggles to get game time.
Don't think they will rock the boat too much this trade period and if Ladhams does leave will open up some cap space to re sign Warner.
Generally agree. Can't see any trades in jumping out at me. Would like a tall such as Shanahan or one (or both?) of the Whitlocks who could be around our pick(s). Pretty sure we'll take Cochran as the defender. We might also trade the second high pick into next year.
Ladhams might move on but overall I would expect a quiet period.

Generally agree. Can't see any trades in jumping out at me. Would like a tall such as Shanahan or one (or both?) of the Whitlocks who could be around our pick(s). Pretty sure we'll take Cochran as the defender. We might also trade the second high pick into next year.
Ladhams might move on but overall I would expect a quiet period.
If both Whitlock boys are available, I kind of hope we take both with our two firsts. Retention wise, makes a lot of sense, kinda like the Warner boys.

I guess part of the plans depend on what they think of position wise Chamberlin and King will be because will they be KPFs will King be an on baller type? Cause i feel like we need a medium forward to help out Hayward but could Chamberlin be that (if he doesn't grow any taller)

Apologies if its been discussed but apparently we are into Jake Stringer?

Not sure how he fits in our forward line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One way to stop him turning into Dusty against us.

He is a piece of shit though

Oh people are gonna hate him. So damn inconsistent.

And yeah, not exactly what would qualify as a good bloke type.

Do not like.

Oh people are gonna hate him. So damn inconsistent.

And yeah, not exactly what would qualify as a good bloke type.

Do not like.

Who's going out was my first thought.

If Parker is off to some Vic club and we get Stringer.... yuck

Stringer to Swans - the talk acts as an immediate motivational kick to messrs Amartey, McDonald and McClean to turn it on come finals. Thanks bombers - now I expect our guys to be fired up !

Stringer could be a great moneyball move.

I’d like him here just to hear “ Blakey to Jakey, Goal!”

Before we knock it out completely, would you want Joel or Jake lining up this week ? Think we know the answer.

JHWF - truth teller, motivational expert.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back