Votes: 4 5.5%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 21 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we really rally I won't be shocked to see us miss the 8
Even me, still pissed off over the GF can't see us missing the 8. I think we will be in the lower region 6-8 maybe, but we don't have the heart and guts to win it from there.

Pass on one of them for sure you know which one. We need a small forward more not a medium. Our smalls are Paps and then very little. Hanily I like but Horse hasn’t even tried the bloke, will our coach wake up and play Campbell there not convinced. Wicks is hardly the answer.
I think we can run with a small forward unit of Papley Campbell and Cleary next year. That would also leave us with 4 positions to fill out of Hayward and 2/3 tall forwards

Even me, still pissed off over the GF can't see us missing the 8. I think we will be in the lower region 6-8 maybe, but we don't have the heart and guts to win it from there.
I really want to be proven wrong.

We have the talent in spades, just whether we can build the belief.

If we don't believe we can perform come Grand final we won't try come the regular season either. Because, what's the point?

I really want to be proven wrong.

We have the talent in spades, just whether we can build the belief.

If we don't believe we can perform come Grand final we won't try come the regular season either. Because, what's the point?
We certainly do have the talent, I think that's what hurts the most about this year.
Imagine this years lists talent, with the '05 teams guts and attitude? Unbeatable 😘

As much as it hurts to say, we definitely needed Parker’s money off the books next year. It was our only shot of keeping Warner tbh.
Konstanty going considering he never truly got a shot hurts a lot and leaves even more holes in our list in terms of needs.
Now we really have to turn either Cleary or Hanily into a small forward full time next year as cover for Papley and or Wicks.

So do we do something with 58 for next year? Package 58 and 44 for something next year if we’ve maxed out our list numbers?
Need those picks to match a big on Cochran

Need those picks to match a big on Cochran
We actually don't if he is bid on in the fourth round as the deficit created will go onto the fourth round pick in 2025 which is worth no value anyway so doesn't move. I think originally that deficits go onto the first pick but it goes onto the future pick with the associated round.

I think we can run with a small forward unit of Papley Campbell and Cleary next year. That would also leave us with 4 positions to fill out of Hayward and 2/3 tall forwards

Replace Campbell with Hanily and I'll be happier but Horse has his favourites we all know that

Replace Campbell with Hanily and I'll be happier but Horse has his favourites we all know that
Campbell is there as the spare winger as well so unless they go with a spare winger a 4th on baller and a small forward on the bench i don't see how Hanily gets into the best 22 atm.

Campbell is there as the spare winger as well so unless they go with a spare winger a 4th on baller and a small forward on the bench i don't see how Hanily gets into the best 22 atm.

He is not on the wing, and Hanily is a better forward. Campbell I'm here or there, but a 14-16 possession winger? You are asking for trouble

Incredibly disappointing trade period. In my naivety, I assumed we were still in our premiership window and the club would seek to top up with a couple of mature agers to try to give us the best chance of breaking through next year. Other clubs do this all the time. Instead we got rid of a club champion for peanuts and brought no one in.

My optimism for next year has plummeted. It appears the club has simply accepted a premiership's not to be with the current group, which seems a bit weak to me. This lack of ambition makes me more angry than the GF did :(.
Standard trade period for the circumstances the club is in these days.

We are now a draft, academy and retention club, with the ability to occasionally recruit fringe players or if they are disgruntled at their current clubs and for some reason they like the idea of moving to a non footy state.

This is the same conversation we have every trade period, bar last year where we picked up 2 players who were unhappy at their current clubs and either liked the lifestyle opportunity or had lived in Sydney before, plus another who was a childhood Swans fan iirc.

We simply are unable to compete as well for signatures with many other clubs in terms of cost of living, 3rd party opportunities, media opportunities, post career opportunities and obviously distance to family in many cases.

Some always bring up Brisbane, I've addressed those players individually in the last few off seasons when we keep having this discussion (e.g. Dunkley was never coming to us, Cameron went home, Neale almost walked out again but got scuppered by a media leak). We also didn't bottom out for ages and have the draft pick and front ending young player contracts advantages that come with that.

Some will bring up Stringer to GWS, a player with some previously unearthed defensive capabilities. OK, now pick 3 players from our best 23, as well as another, to leave the club in this trade period, and explain how we've improved.

Other players we were linked to have either new members of their families e.g. Kennedy, Frost, or may not see opportunity for spots to make it worth moving interstate e.g. Garcia, Maginness.

Just getting tired of the "failed trade period" narrative each year, as if it should be a surprise to anyone.

I'm not happy about it either, but I can see why it is our circumstances, without assuming the list team just sits on their hands or has no ambition.

Plenty of other more legitimate criticisms about grand final approaches, team structure, drafting etc to be had.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a mention a while back about a possible small forward option, I wonder if that’s still on the cards?

I'd be shocked if it's not the thinking now Konstanty is gone.

Best key tall (not fussed which end ideally forward)
Small forward/pressure forward

If we keep the two high picks, one of each should be the plan with 44 being a 'best avail' selection OR flip to next year depending where the Cochrane bid is. Bare in mind if it's (the bid) in the 4th round we get him for free as next season 4th round picks are worth 0.

That all said if Hotton is there at 13, I'm making the trade to go up for sure.

You must be taking the piss……I wouldn’t be surprised if Hanily is delisted. I don’t see much in him from what I have witnessed. Campbell is so much better than Hanily it’s not funny.

You must be taking the piss……I wouldn’t be surprised if Hanily is delisted. I don’t see much in him from what I have witnessed. Campbell is so much better than Hanily it’s not funny.

As a forward? No he's not. This is the whole problem with our list, we keep going the 3 talls and Grundy and wonder why we are so slow. No way should Hanily be delisted he showed good signs, and it's an area where we have no depth when we have just traded out one of them.

As a forward? No he's not. This is the whole problem with our list, we keep going the 3 talls and Grundy and wonder why we are so slow. No way should Hanily be delisted he showed good signs, and it's an area where we have no depth when we have just traded out one of them.
We will disagree on that, I can’t see any problem where Hanily is the solution.

I was actually impressed with him and would be unhappy if we delisted.

I'd still put Campbell forward first, even Cleary, but if he was in good VFL form wouldn't have any issues giving him a chance.

The GF wasn't the only game where our side had zilch pressure inside 50, and when I mean zilch I mean absolutely zilch. Logan is fine he now should be the central forward for us. I don't care which tall out of Amartey/McLean but both don't work.

Is Hanily the answer I don't know but structurally I want another medium/small in there, and I sure don't want Wicks near the side. Give Hanily and a few others a go in the pre season, the best performed gets that 3rd forward position. We need to find our Lohmann, Paps as good as he is can't do everything.

This is also why I've been consistent, a small forward at one of these two first selections and I am not against going straight up with our first pick for one, there are plenty of talls, one will slip to our second

We still don’t know if Hanily is even re-signing just yet, so I’m going to hold fire until the last 4 OOC’s are sorted out

This I agree with but if we let go of two small to medium types we have to take both picks at those types first up, and that seems highly unlikely the way our recruiters were talking the talls up. You might be right not saying you are wrong.

Personally as soon as Konstanty went, lets not take out more small to mediums we are relying on 2 way too much as it is (hayward and Paps)

Arguing about the forward line is a sideshow.

The beginning, middle, and end of our issues are in the centre of the ground.

It's both, as bad as the midfield were, on key indicators they weren't as horrid as it seemed.

What was worse is the constant letting the ball out of our forward 50. In today's game pressure inside your 50 is just as important if not more than winning clearances, the oppositions HBF's set up most of the goals, and yes Ashcroft won the NS, their HBF's could have too. Our forwards did sweet zilch to keep it in, even Paps was poor at best. The whole forwardline couldn't even be bothered making a tackle. Now YES the other parts of the ground were bad and the inside division weren't great, but I sure aint letting those forwards off the hook, they were worse!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back