• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't speak for Marshall, but Port delisting a KPD while having only 1 quality KPD (Aliir) possibly says more about them and their intelligence than whoever they delist.

Maybe they'll throw Lukosius back or try Esava again.

You could substitute Sydney, small forward and Jacob Konstanty into your post

He would have to have improved exponentially from his run in the ressies with us.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Potential. We can see the bits and pieces he has now whether I’d go that high on the fence

Parker was best 22 and we haven't replaced him. Unless we bring anyone in we will be worse off next season than we were this year.

If we are to improve it needs to be from the likes of Campbell, Sheldrick, Corey Warner, Mitchell. Someone just on the cusp

Yes we have his name is Cleary and one could say his couple of games were as good as what Parker produced.

Parker was best 22 and we haven't replaced him. Unless we bring anyone in we will be worse off next season than we were this year.

If we are to improve it needs to be from the likes of Campbell, Sheldrick, Corey Warner, Mitchell. Someone just on the cusp
We literally played our best footy of the year without him.

Fit Mills comes in, development year for Campbell, Cleary will make a splash, Adam's covers the role Parker played and he did it more than well enough first half of year. Father time has caught up with Parker and life goes on. Brisbane were worse off losing key players to ACL's and won the cup.

If hopes anyone is going to improve us it's Snell, that's where our main deficiency is. Mids is a can of worms but comes down to coaching.

I mean you waited 6 mins...

If it is "AFL average" then it would be Parker's backended salary, potentially $800k or more, minus the AFL average salary which is about $450k.

So that would fit with the $350k mentioned.

Now, if it's not AFL average, but the average of Parker's contract, that's different, but it's still probably $150-200k.

Note this assumes the 4 x $700k rumour back when he re-signed is true.
I can't believe people can't understand this (not you, Bloods86).

For example, let's say that the Swans said they would pay him $2mil over 4 years at an average of $500k pa, however the club says they want to structure it to take the salary cap into consideration, so they agree that Parker will get $400k for the first 3 years and then $800k for the last year. Now, because he left at the end of the 3rd year, potentailly we have been underpaying Parker for 3 years, however Norf now says they won't pay the extra that the Swans 'owed' him and that we need to come to the party. We still 'owe' him the extra $300k while Norf takes over the $500k 'average' of the contract.

It is absolutely fair.

No one is saying that. However Cleary does look promising

Point is have we replaced Parker’s output with Cleary I would say on form yes we have. I love Luke but he was hardly that consistent this season no two ways.

You could have made a call that he should have played the GF over Parker

Yeah, I don't have much confidence in them either. It isn't just the bad starts. We need some players who can win contested possession. Most of our guys get pushed off it. We are great on the outside. But lack that big bodied mid who gets it done. I like Sheldrick, even though he is small, like Rowie, he will fight like the devil to get ball in a contested situation. Rowie, Mills & Sheldrick are the only ones who can. Gulden battles hard but just doesn't have the core strength. I think Blakey, Llloyd or Fox could spend time there but also Roberts & Mitchell. Mitchell is the guy. That hard nut. I think with development from Kirky & Matthews he could be a great addition.

Blakey, Lloyd and Fox as the inside ball winners ahead of the ones we play there currently is a bizarre take. Roberts I can definitely see but not sure he is an upgrade at this point of his career. Mitchell is really interesting. Haven't really heard him talked about in this way but he is a bigger body with a great tank. Why do you feel like he can become a contested ball winning beast?

I wanted to make the point that Ladhams was contracted and McAndrew wasn't, but Bandicoot beat me to it.

Berry

But I just do not want to go for a reach at our first.

As someone else already said, Konstanty was not a reach. I remember being quite in favour of Konstanty. He filled a need and he was rated about where we took him or better on pretty much every draft board.

I am trying to avoid following the draft too closely this year (a promise to myself a couple of years ago when I realised what a complete waste of time it is). Despite that, I am warming to the idea of selecting Berry if he is still available. But mostly I think that none of us have a clue.

The draftees are basically all guns and it is an art figuring out which ones will kick on and make it as AFL players and it is an art that those in the biz are better at than us. If I read an article about almost any of these potential draftees (which articles always talk them up), I typically finish reading and go, "yeah, he'd be alright, I could live with him if we pick him". Every single one of these draftees has excelled in their careers to date and has some coach and talent spotters talking them up big time (and most likely with total justification).

Then, at the draft, when we pick them, whoever they are, it's always exciting, and I focus on the upside and blue sky and hope the club has picked a winner. Of course there are some who I am less keen on and I get disappointed when we have the opportunity to pick someone that I am keen on and we don't. [E.g. I was pretty keen on Matt Roberts' good mate Arlo Draper at the pick where we picked Corey Warner but Arlo didn't last even as long as Corey has (Pies delisted him last year). In that draft we got the exact players I was hoping for - Sheldrick and Roberts - only in reverse order, so I can't complain too much.]

Am I right in thinking that Aaron Francis and Indhi Kirk are the only uncontracted players that we haven't publicly announced a decision about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I right in thinking that Aaron Francis and Indhi Kirk are the only uncontracted players that we haven't publicly announced a decision about?

Francis is being kept I'm here or nay about it but he's still AFL ready tomorrow if a defender goes down to be fair

Mills, Sheldrick, Adams for his mid work

Warner, Campbell, Cleary, maybe Hanily should all get forward time. None have his marking, but offer other things better than Parker.

Mills, Sheldrick, Adams for his mid work

Warner, Campbell, Cleary, maybe Hanily should all get forward time. None have his marking, but offer other things better than Parker.

Yep an increas in defensive pressive is a positive with all of them. Wouldn't rule out Corey Warner either in a position change.

I want to see players, like Francis, who are just there but not quite good enough out of our squad. Ladhams & Francis are both not good enough. Let's develop the young guys. Edwards has proven to be a pretty good player. Green needs more ruck time. I am astounded they decided on retaining Ladhams over Big Mac. In his only game last season he had 10 HO, 6 Dis & 2 Marks, 2 tackles. Not just disappointing terrible. In 2023, Big Mac played 2 games. He had 27 HO, 12 dis, 2 marks & 6 tackles.

I do not think our younger players are developing as they should be. We drafted 2 small forwards in the same draft, Konstanty & Magor (a Rookie). Both have now gone. Magor was played at half back. Konstanty was always injured. We drafted a small forward/mid in the mid season draft, Tom Hanily, will they play him at Full Back? I just don't get why we draft for a need & then don't play them there. We needed to have a small small forward ready to go this year when both Papley & Wicks were out. But there was nobody. Hanily had only just got to the club & was still 18, so a prospect not a ready made player. Konstanty was out & Magor was playing HB. I was stunned by some of the players, even the VFL squad, that were playing in the backs. Some had probably never played there.

I know there is a need in the modern game to be flexible but there are certain positions, and players, for whom this doesn't work. I mean, would you stick Paps in the back pocket? Or Isaac at FB?
In order to develop young guys you need a core in the VFL that are older, stronger, and can provide a platform for the kids to show some talent. Guys like Francis, Hamling are ideal for that. But I do agree you want most of the players developing in the roles we see them playing in the future. Especially as you say, small forwards.

You can't use stats to show Ladhams one game was no good IMO. He was playing forward most of the time. He is a solid back up ruck and under contract so there's no getting rid of him for Stretch - who is a bit unlucky, but apparently not showing enough. Given the way we throw away good rucks though, he may pop up on a list and do quite well. If I were him I'd be heading down to Saints and trying to get on their list.

I don't watch anywhere near enough to comment on the VFL, but a change being made in coaching indicates they think it can be improved upon.

In order to develop young guys you need a core in the VFL that are older, stronger, and can provide a platform for the kids to show some talent. Guys like Francis, Hamling are ideal for that. But I do agree you want most of the players developing in the roles we see them playing in the future. Especially as you say, small forwards.

You can't use stats to show Ladhams one game was no good IMO. He was playing forward most of the time. He is a solid back up ruck and under contract so there's no getting rid of him for Stretch - who is a bit unlucky, but apparently not showing enough. Given the way we throw away good rucks though, he may pop up on a list and do quite well. If I were him I'd be heading down to Saints and trying to get on their list.

I don't watch anywhere near enough to comment on the VFL, but a change being made in coaching indicates they think it can be improved upon.

Wouldn't call Stretch unlucky at all, if anything he benefited lasting this long on our list. I do hate being blunt about this but sometimes we have to call a spade a spade, his kicking makes Tom McCartin's look elite, and I don't want to ever see McCartin kick the ball ever. Gone are the days of pure tap rucks you have to be able to get around the ground and dispose the footy.

Blakey, Lloyd and Fox as the inside ball winners ahead of the ones we play there currently is a bizarre take. Roberts I can definitely see but not sure he is an upgrade at this point of his career. Mitchell is really interesting. Haven't really heard him talked about in this way but he is a bigger body with a great tank. Why do you feel like he can become a contested ball winning beast?
I think when we drafted Mitchell there was talk of him playing midfield as well as wing.

But if we're looking to try different players in the mids, outside the likes of a fit Mills, Sheldrick, Cleary in bursts while mostly forward then there's always Campbell a mid/fwd when drafted (put him near the ball rather than trying to find it), and Florent.

Florent was tried much earlier on, but looking back it's worth noting that the only time (R1 2022 vs Giants) we have ever played Mills, Heeney and Rowy together as main mids (~50% CBA or more), Florent also went into the midfield mix and had 20 touches (8 contested), 5 clearances, 4 tackles, 3 goals and 12 score involvements. We lost centre clearances but dominated stoppages and won the game against their midfield.

I think when we drafted Mitchell there was talk of him playing midfield as well as wing.

But if we're looking to try different players in the mids, outside the likes of a fit Mills, Sheldrick, Cleary in bursts while mostly forward then there's always Campbell a mid/fwd when drafted (put him near the ball rather than trying to find it), and Florent.

Florent was tried much earlier on, but looking back it's worth noting that the only time (R1 2022 vs Giants) we have ever played Mills, Heeney and Rowy together as main mids (~50% CBA or more), Florent also went into the midfield mix and had 20 touches (8 contested), 5 clearances, 4 tackles, 3 goals and 12 score involvements. We lost centre clearances but dominated stoppages and won the game against their midfield.

You couldn't pay me enough to want Campbell NEAR the inside division of a midfield. You do know it's even more important to want to find the ball there right?

Francis is being kept I'm here or nay about it but he's still AFL ready tomorrow if a defender goes down to be fair

I also have the impression that Francis is staying, but do you have an authoritative source (in which case please provide link) or is it just the vibe and/or word of mouth?

Can we wait until after the draft to decide about re-contracting or, in that case, do we need to de-list and then re-draft (or otherwise re-sign)?

You couldn't pay me enough to want Campbell NEAR the inside division of a midfield. You do know it's even more important to want to find the ball there right?
As I wrote in that post already... put him near the ball, not running around as a 2nd or 3rd string half back or winger who won't get much of it.

But we can keep pretending like he's been in roles where he should rack up the touches.

As I wrote in that post already... put him near the ball, not running around as a 2nd or 3rd string half back or winger who won't get much of it.

But we can keep pretending like he's been in roles where he should rack up the touches.

He still wouldn't get the ball, you have a sub 15 possession midfielder. Trust me I'd rather put Cleary in there before ever putting Campbell near there, one has shown to be a ball magnet they other one runs around endlessly but admittedly can kick.

I also have the impression that Francis is staying, but do you have an authoritative source (in which case please provide link) or is it just the vibe and/or word of mouth?

Can we wait until after the draft to decide about re-contracting or, in that case, do we need to de-list and then re-draft (or otherwise re-sign)?

Both the second and third, trust us he's being resigned. People need to realise in a squad having one AFL ready backup to go game 1 next year is critical. Now if the club thinks Edwards/Snell are go for it, but they weren't all year.

He still wouldn't get the ball, you have a sub 15 possession midfielder. Trust me I'd rather put Cleary in there before ever putting Campbell near there, one has shown to be a ball magnet they other one runs around endlessly but admittedly can kick.
Why would I trust you based on something we haven't tried at AFL level.

You don't know that he would be a sub 15 possession mid and even if he was, he wouldn't be played there all game anyway and it might be more useful than 20 odd from someone else. He'd likely be the 3rd outside mid.

His tackling game is underrated as well and is another option to try, despite blanket assumptions made based off different roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back