• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So many comments here recently have been about Chad not being a part of the centre square unit but actually playing half forward. I wouldn't want to be paying $1M+ for a half forward.
I wouldn't want to pay $1M+ for a mid who looks lazy at times and often doesn't kick into gear until we've got a lead to overcome.

Use his strengths, limit his weaknesses.

Fairly confident he leaves, but if we have the money, would pay close to that for 2 years to ensure we get a fair trade.

Yep but GWS and WB will grab him imo but im guessing your semi realistic means picked up within 5 picks of our first selection and also available to us

100% would need some luck I am hopeful that the Giants may look at a genuine winger and who knows with the Dogs. It would need a bit of luck but if he’s there I’m calling his name. If he’s there at the Dogs I’d try and live trade

Yup.

Looks to be around the 12 - 25 range. Coin toss between him and Kako as best small fwd.

Hotton would also be interesting to take as a formerly touted top five prior to ACL. Scored a heap of goals and able to run through the middle.

Gerryn or Faull other options at KPF that could be good at next pick. Could be a very interesting draft
Well I wouldn't consider him a reach then. Between our need for quality small forwards & our need to just start getting quality return from our first round picks, I'd be happy with anyone who ticks both boxes, even if they are a safe or unremarkable pick for a first rounder.

Ladhams was still contracted. Stretch was not.

Plus one if Grundy goes does or is rested (another thing our coach did terribly) is more AFL ready now.

Well I wouldn't consider him a reach then. Between our need for quality small forwards & our need to just start getting quality return from our first round picks, I'd be happy with anyone who ticks both boxes, even if they are a safe or unremarkable pick for a first rounder.
Konstanty was the best small forward around, safe option. And we had 2 less options at that point than now.

Other option is trade up with our first two maybe get a late second/third back. If we are thinking this route I’d be holding till draft day though

This is very selective. Ladhams played his one game this year in a shellacking where he was second ruck and spent most of the game forward, far away from where the ball was.

McAndrew played as the first ruck in the second of the two games he played last year. In the first of those two games he had 3 touches, 7 hitouts, and was subbed out. So if we're being selective, it works both ways.

Ladhams has also had some very prolific performances as first ruck. With him we have somebody that we know can come straight in next year if Grundy is injured. With McAndrew we had someone that might potentially have eventually been good enough. Unfortunately for him, Green has overtaken him and made him redundant.

Delisting Ladhams and going into next season with Green and McAndrew as our back-up rucks would have been a dumb and risky move IMO.
It was the other way around. His first game was good, second he was subbed out mid way through the second quarter

Konstanty was the best small forward around, safe option. And we had 1 less option at that point than now.

That draft was always going to be a high fail rate there was just no form to go off. You’d hardly say Tsatas (Essendon), Humphries (GC), Jhye Clark (Geelong), Hollands (Carl), Busslinger (WB), Jefferson (Melb). All of Barnett, Hayes, Jacob Van Es have all being delisted. We would have taken Ed Allen if he was there, Pies took him

It was the other way around. His first game was good, second he was subbed out mid way through the second quarter

Let’s be real Mac was never going to be AFL standard and we had to be getting Green 40% ruck next year it’s how you develop rucks

Apologies, you're correct.

But if 9 touches and 20 hitouts is what passes as a good game for Stretch, he's nowhere near Ladhams who averaged 15 touches and 20 hitouts in 2022 and 2023.

Let’s be real Mac was never going to be AFL standard and we had to be getting Green 40% ruck next year it’s how you develop rucks
Yep, Grundy is the present, Green is the future, and Ladhams is that safety net in the middle.

As far as the make-up of the list goes, McAndrew was competing with Green if anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Grundy is the present, Green is the future, and Ladhams is that safety net in the middle.

As far as the make-up of the list goes, McAndrew was competing with Green if anything.

Yep but all means get a break glass vfl ruck if you want in the rookie but we have enough rucks

100% would need some luck I am hopeful that the Giants may look at a genuine winger and who knows with the Dogs. It would need a bit of luck but if he’s there I’m calling his name. If he’s there at the Dogs I’d try and live trade
Look at what the Giants have lost. Cummings, a running HB, Peatling, a young mid/HF, Perryman who is a defender, Haynes a defender. What they need to do is shore up defensive stocks. They have Small Forwards & Mids coming out of their bumholes. but need medium defenders & an extra developing ruck.

Look at what the Giants have lost. Cummings, a running HB, Peatling, a young mid/HF, Perryman who is a defender, Haynes a defender. What they need to do is shore up defensive stocks. They have Small Forwards & Mids coming out of their bumholes. but need medium defenders & an extra developing ruck.

Exactly why I have them taking a HB (there’s a few) they did take James Leake last year though.

The problem with this is that on most draft boards there is no defender in the 18-25 range or within 5 picks that will realistically get to the Giants. They are kind of caught but then again they do draft differently to most so watch them pull someone from being mocked in the mid 30s at pick like 20. They also have Logan Smith who they will match a ruck out of their academy.

The problem with this is that on most draft boards there is no defender in the 18-25 range or within 5 picks that will realistically get to the Giants. They are kind of caught but then again they do draft differently to most so watch them pull someone from being mocked in the mid 30s at pick like 20. They also have Logan Smith who they will match a ruck out of their academy.
Angus Clarke (30ish), Harrison Oliver (25-30)

Angus Clarke (30ish), Harrison Oliver (25-30)
Forgot about Oliver but Clarke would be the bolter that GWS would select. Oliver would be an annoying one for GWS to select as he is Vic Metro and they tend to have a higher go home factor so don't think GWS will go for him and use a pick later on for a running half back

Forgot about Oliver but Clarke would be the bolter that GWS would select. Oliver would be an annoying one for GWS to select as he is Vic Metro and they tend to have a higher go home factor so don't think GWS will go for him and use a pick later on for a running half back
Sounds like he's (Oliver) got a great attitude, work ethic. Depends on how he's interviewed.

Plus they've drafted a couple of WA kids, a Tasmanian, and a Vic Metro player in the last 2 years, so I think they back themselves.

I posted this in May of 2022

Although some of the names have changed, I still feel this could be a potential problem. It's exciting that so many of our best players are young players who we are gonna be able to enjoy for close to or over the next decade. But there's this whole other portion of players who are also still among our best/most important - Mills, Heeney, Papley, Lloyd, Grundy, Cunningham, Rampe. I would argue the latter four are still more important than we maybe want them to be given they're over 30. For example we look horrible in defence every time Rampe doesn't play, there is no obvious replacement who can do what Cunningham does to his level (besides maybe Fox, who is also over 30.) The only Grundy replacements on the list are the wildly unreliable Ladhams and the teenage Green, still in his baby-giraffe stage. And who knows how much longer we have the primes of Heeney, Mills & Papley?

So whilst we may think we have this great crop of young players for the next decade, my concern is that if they don't win a flag in the next year or so, they're gonna spend the better part of that decade trying to win one without a lot of very good players. It makes missed opportunities like this year and 2022 so very costly.
This is it. We are definitely at the crossroads.
Rampe, Cunningham do little wrong every game. They cover up cracks in our game. When they are gone........they will be hard to replace. The team like in the GF ........if one or two pieces are missing then the stack of cards falls over.

Clarke's also from my hometown, so it's a pity we don't need a medium size half back.

That said he's apparently decent one-on-one for his size and can go forward as a medium option, so it'd almost be worth the melts when people google image search on draft night after we take him at 26.

Would join the illustrious Mount Gambier Swans hall of fame including Simon Feast and Nick Daffy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back