• KPF/Small Forward

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • KPF/Mid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KPF/Defender

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephens was ranked in the top 7-10 prior to the draft was hardly a reach at all. Stephens best games as a junior were as an inside he actually was drafted as an inside/out midfielder. Wasn’t as if it was Ling who was ranked 60’s and we took him first round. Was
Ling ranked 60s. Lol.

Twomey's last rankings had him at 21, phantom draft at 23. Fox had him at 22. Think there was one at the time mentioning him late teens.

Last edited:
Stephens was in most Top 10s. Was mentioned at 5 or 6 as potential picks in some.

He'd played senior SANFL games and performed well.

No idea how people come up with some of this stuff.

Yep easily in the top 10 pretty much all season, 5 was hardly some stretch. It didn’t work out but we didn’t draft some dud based on the rankings

Ling ranked 60s. Lol.

Twomey's last rankings had him at 21, phantom draft at 23. Fox had him at 22. Think there was one st the time mentioning him late teens.

He was a complete bolter, those are the selections I hate and it’s not that we took him it was that we could have traded down and done the same thing. I’ve said that for a while, draft who you want but if you are taking a bolter trade down grab an extra pick.

He was a complete bolter, those are the selections I hate and it’s not that we took him it was that we could have traded down and done the same thing. I’ve said that for a while, draft who you want but if you are taking a bolter trade down grab an extra pick.
He wasn't a bolter. He'd been around the same mark in earlier rankings.

Maybe no-one wanted to trade, or like Sheldrick, a bigger "reach", we'd heard someone else was taking him.

We have this discussion every year. Can people get over their misconceptions please.

Ling ranked 60s. Lol.

Twomey's last rankings had him at 21, phantom draft at 23. Fox had him at 22. Think there was one at the time mentioning him late teens.

He was also ranked outside of the top 30 in some PDs, please don’t make out that Ling was a concensis top 20 selection because he wasn’t

Picking him at 14 was a reach when there were other better credentialed players with more potential available at that selection

He was also ranked outside of the top 30 in some PDs, please don’t make out that Ling was a concensis top 20 selection because he wasn’t

Picking him at 14 was a reach when there were other better credentialed players with more potential available at that selection

The next four selections make very ugly reading not to mention Oscar Allen

Some of the rankings and phantoms had Stoddart in the 20s. I'm just making the point that he was highly rated by some of the more reputable ones.

I'm a needs based drafting advocate, except when rebuilding extensively, so I have no problem if we saw him as the best of his type.

Comments about having less potential or him being a dud are unsubstantiated given the fact none of us will ever know, due to the run of injuries cruelling some of his biggest strengths and development.

But I do love having this conversation every single year.

Interesting looking back at the 2017 draft. There were also a lot of 1st round misses that were consensus top 20 ranked players. 3 Dow, 6 Stephenson 7 Clark 8 Coffield 11 O'Brien 12 Bonar 13 Brander. So there was no guarantee taking a consensus top 20 ranked player would have worked out.

And even looking at some of the 2nd round success stories like 24 Tim Kelly 25 Noah Balta 26 Liam Ryan 27 Brent Daniels 28 Sam Taylor 30 De Koning 31 Bayley Fritsch. None of them were in Twomey's top 30. So it would have been considered a reach at the time if we had used our 1st pick on them. Even though a lot of them ended up being top players. And all of them were gone before our 2nd pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Back