Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if lots of people say the above . then it becomes conventional wisdom , heaps of people jump on the subject and we have a new whipping boy but Footywire stats show Young's disposal efficiency this season as 75.4% ...Weitering's is 77.6. I concede that disposals includes handballs and Young's disposals by foot don't match Weitering's but he is nowhere near as bad as posters on here claim

Weitering has had some absolute shocking games this season. The St. Kilda game he was terrible.

I definitely want Cincotta in the 22 and running with whichever of their guns we most want to try and shut out.

IMHO Cincotta's success in tagging players threw off our midfield balance. He works best tagging a HBF, especially if he can be dangerous in the forward line. Midlfield tags costs too much in offensive structure.

IMHO Cincotta's success in tagging players threw off our midfield balance. He works best tagging a HBF, especially if he can be dangerous in the forward line. Midlfield tags costs too much in offensive structure.
Can’t agree. Him tagging Butters at the Adelaide Oval was some of the best footy we’ve played all year.
Destroyed Merrett too.

It is the worst place to watch a game.
The crowd are abusive and we have listen to that f####n music after a Bear scores a goal every time.... drives me nuts...
Plus it's always free transport on trains / busses etc for a game and if we lose the wife and I cop it on the way home as we always decked out in our Blues gear...
But we take it...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Last year's prelim was torture. Can't stand the music as it is (though I've become somewhat partial to "Let it Go" after hearing it 1000 times over the last 2 years...) but shits me no end when they keep it going after the ball has bounced.

Can’t agree. Him tagging Butters at the Adelaide Oval was some of the best footy we’ve played all year.
Destroyed Merrett too.
Also, I don't think it disrupted out midfield structure much at all. At centre bounces he wasn't in the square so it didn't take up a spot, he just followed them around the ground where fixed numbers aren't a thing.

Destroyed Merrett too.
It seemed to work for a few weeks, but teams quickly figured it out and became less effective as the season went on. Same when he played at half forward - we were down a pressure forward and thought it impacted our ability to lock the ball in.

Prefer his current role behind the footy.

It seemed to work for a few weeks, but teams quickly figured it out and became less effective as the season went on. Same when he played at half forward - we were down a pressure forward and thought it impacted our ability to lock the ball in.

Prefer his current role behind the footy.
I don’t think it was him being worked out. Some of it was how we used him (eg switching him off Butters at half time in the second Port game).
His form did fluctuate a bit though, but then, the whole team was pretty poor most of those last 8 games.

I guess maybe it doesn’t work so well having him more around the ball when Pitto is rucking compared to TDK?

We always have really good support in Brisbane/Gold Coast. The Prelim last yr was close to 50-50. It was in Bris favour, but for an interstate away game it was crazy close. Could have been close to 60-40 or even 55-45 ratio.

Brisbane fans were whinging in the ground asking why they sold so many tickets to Carlton fans, I enjoyed hearing that.

The Blues Brother/Sisters along with our Cheer Squad will 'ROCK. THE GABBA.'

GIIrRGZbAAAgRzb

f636d9a848d3748e7b1cde82f785d47133a1b026.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB Newman Weitering Saad
HB Young McGovern OHollands
C Acres Cripps Docherty
R Pitto Walsh Hewett
HF Kennedy Curnow Fantasia
FF EHollands McKay Williams
I Motlop Lord Cowan Cincotta
S Kemp

I had a lazy $50 on us to win the flag @ $34 today. Clearly a big ask but our best is good enough and at those ridiculous odds I thought why not.
It is way over the odds. Harry, Charlie, Gov and Zac alone make a huge difference. Put us back in the anyone can win lottery scenario for mine. Form guide out the window with some niggles sorted as well.

Who do we think we can rely on to bring pressure and intensity for the whole game? This is my list:

Cowan, Ollie, Kennedy, Cripps, McKay (yep), MCG (I think), Acres, Doc (yep), Kemp, Walsh, Durdin, ELij, Weiters, Newman. Binns, Pitto (as slow as he is he will be fierce), Hewett, Lord (yep), Boyd (if fit), Cinc, Saad.

Gets us to 21. If they are fit. Add Charlie is 22. Add Young because we have to. That therefore becomes my 23 unless TDk is fit and he replaces Pitto.

I just think we can afford no half fit guys this weekend because we need a full game of pressure. Martin Williams Cerra and Motlop all miss as a result. For mine. Maybe I’d risk Williams for forward line creativity. I was very disappointed in Motlop last week. I don’t trust Cerra or Martin.

Who do we think we can rely on to bring pressure and intensity for the whole game? This is my list:

Cowan, Ollie, Kennedy, Cripps, McKay (yep), MCG (I think), Acres, Doc (yep), Kemp, Walsh, Durdin, ELij, Weiters, Newman. Binns, Pitto (as slow as he is he will be fierce), Hewett, Lord (yep), Boyd (if fit), Cinc, Saad.

Gets us to 21. If they are fit. Add Charlie is 22. Add Young because we have to. That therefore becomes my 23 unless TDk is fit and he replaces Pitto.

I just think we can afford no half fit guys this weekend because we need a full game of pressure. Martin Williams Cerra and Motlop all miss as a result. For mine. Maybe I’d risk Williams for forward line creativity. I was very disappointed in Motlop last week. I don’t trust Cerra or Martin.
Williams should be good to go.
I also don’t trust Cerra or Martin. Motlop was terrible.
Durdin depends on how he has pulled up.

I think it will be a big mistake if Lord and Moir don't play.

Moir has something only Jack Martin has in terms of raw natural forward craft, smarts and talent. We're desperate for it.

Lord brings a point of difference to our midfield. 19 disposals and 7 tackles last week at only 62% TOG was an enormous game and that seems to have gone under the radar. Compared to other players who had similar numbers but greater TOG: E Hollands (22 disp, 1 tkl, 81% TOG), O Hollands (21, 5, 89%), Saad (21, 2, 73%) and Acres (19, 2, 86%). Walsh, Hewett and Cripps all over 80% TOG.

I would spew if Kennedy or Cerra come in and replace Lord. His ball winning has been excellent but his tackling and pressure are outstanding. We desperately need that and we won't get that from Kennedy or Cerra.

Both players have impressed me enormously the last two weeks.

I would actually be inclined to start Moir. IMO he would go unnoticed in a forward line with Charlie, Harry and Kemp and really get under the radar. Only he and Martin and Williams have that ability to win the ball on the line they play. Moir has something special and we would be crazy to pick Kennedy or Martin or any of the other Vanilla forwards on our list over him.

Martin, well I am not against us risking him in this game if we are confident. Maybe we do risk him, but play Moir as sub and definitely sub him out later in the game.

Curnow, McKay, Kemp, Moir, Martin, Williams, Motlop, E Hollands is a lot of firepower. But it might lack some defence. But that may not matter if we are able to win the ball in that end a lot of the game.

Weitering has had some absolute shocking games this season. The St. Kilda game he was terrible.
Oh you mean when the entire Saints forward line took turns trying to drag him away from the football?

Their entire strategy was counterattack with 16 defenders then take turns negating Weitering, mostly by trying to drag him away from the areas they wanted to kick to, and that's when they didn't have two on him at a contest...

Everyone raving about Young, Hollands, and Cincotta, but Young's performance was inferior - particularly offensively - and the other two regularly shit the bed defensively in favour of building to attack.

Not all on them when it comes to maintaining that chain of possession of course, but would have liked a nicer balance.

With owies out I definitely play cinc forward and sit him on Zorko. If not play him on Neale. Both can certainly be negated. And for the love of god, don’t let Cameron get free goals out the back. Do that and we’re a sniff

Edit I’ve now read quite a few have already suggested this. I’m huge on shutting down Zorko going along way to getting us into the game

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back