Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If he kicks 2 or 3 goals in the 1st half of the game he has done his job.

I completely agree here - Martin gets those 6 deadly touches in the game, 2 important goals in half a quarter that is really all that we need.

Martin is calm, silky and has that finals finesse - I know that he isn’t fit and it’s a gamble, but this isn’t the same conversation we had a year ago where we won a dozen odd straight and weren’t sure how to fit Mckay or others back into the squad, we’re currently 2 from our last 8, and should have lost to north - we need to take selection risk risk and more risk.

That includes throwing in Doc and TDK prematurely, we genuinely have no other way of winning.

I completely agree here - Martin gets those 6 deadly touches in the game, 2 important goals in half a quarter that is really all that we need.

Martin is calm, silky and has that finals finesse - I know that he isn’t fit and it’s a gamble, but this isn’t the same conversation we had a year ago where we won a dozen odd straight and weren’t sure how to fit Mckay or others back into the squad, we’re currently 2 from our last 8, and should have lost to north - we need to take selection risk risk and more risk.

That includes throwing in Doc and TDK prematurely, we genuinely have no other way of winning.
Totally disagree. Now is not the time to panic, we need to be a little conservative with our selections. We are better than

them, is in Brissy so a 50/50 game imo.

It’s the risk that you drop a fit player for one that’s unfit and the player you bring in can’t run out the game.

Cerra was poor returning from injury this year and is a slow starter, Martin has played 3 games this year, two of which he didn’t make it through the match.

We need to be able to run out the game.
Agree.

Was just reading that Cerra’s injury in R21 against Collingwood – makes it five hamstrings over the last 12 months, according to David Zita. He wasn’t all that convincing either when he came back from injury this year.

Can’t see they’d risk bringing him in over a player like Lord.

I wouldn’t play the following:

Cerra-Risky hamstring
Martin-Risky everything
Doc-Just too risky

Lord/Moir/Binns can hold their spots.

Must bring in:
Charlie/Harry/Gov/Zac

Hope to bring in:
TDK

Outs would come from:
Owies/Durdin/Young/Pitto/Carrol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reckon you’re spot on , although I’d keep Young in and wouldn’t risk TDK

Love Doc, but the guy hasn't played all season pretty much... it will be a massive risk to play him.
2nd that, if he played then I think it would be a boost to the players but should they need that, it's a final.
Then the opposite is if he broke down then would it drag down the team.
I just think it's too big a risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t play the following:

Cerra-Risky hamstring
Martin-Risky everything
Doc-Just too risky

Lord/Moir/Binns can hold their spots.

Must bring in:
Charlie/Harry/Gov/Zac

Hope to bring in:
TDK

Outs would come from:
Owies/Durdin/Young/Pitto/Carrol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm close to that. Agree with it but wonder if Pitto is a better option than TDK against MacInerney.
Also outs from
Owies. Durdin. Carroll. Motlop and Binns.
can't believe I'm saying it but I want Young to stay. He has been good the last 2 weeks and is a good match for danaher

Agree Martin is silk and I love him but Williams is also similar up forward but a safer selection, in fitness

2nd that, if he played then I think it would be a boost to the players but should they need that, it's a final.
Then the opposite is if he broke down then would it drag down the team.
I just think it's too big a risk

Only way I can think of it working is if he's sub, we cop no injuries and we bring him on for q4... might be an adrenaline shot for the whole team to finish strong.

I'm close to that. Agree with it but wonder if Pitto is a better option than TDK against MacInerney.
Also outs from
Owies. Durdin. Carroll. Motlop and Binns.
can't believe I'm saying it but I want Young to stay. He has been good the last 2 weeks and is a good match for danaher
I think if Young can continue to play his role as secondary tall defender, it helps Weiters and also means Kemp can play forward and stretch the Lions defence.

Totally disagree. Now is not the time to panic, we need to be a little conservative with our selections. We are better than

them, is in Brissy so a 50/50 game imo.
We have beaten Richmond, North and WCE only in the past eight weeks. Love the optimism but think we need to be realistic / we need every best 22 player we can muster and then some to beat Brisbane up there. Massive underdogs.

I’m not sure I understand those who wish to be cautious with our injured players.

Doc aside, what are we saving them for? There should be no consideration for future games, provided they aren’t risking serious injury.

It’s win or go home, might as well go all in

It’s not about being cautious, it’s about them not being able to run out the game or breaking down mid game so we find ourselves in a situation like the Hawks game where we had 5 injured players and had used our sub before half time which effectively meant the game was over.

Of the potential returnees I break it down as follows:
- Charlie and Harry have played most of the year so they have match fitness and touch so they seem to be pretty low risk option.
- Gov and Williams have played a lot of footy this year so whilst they both have chequered injury histories they are probably worth the risk
- TDK has missed a lot of footy since his serious injury so he could be underdone but he is probably the one who is worth the risk.
- It’s the likes of Cerra and Martin in particular who have played bugger all this year, have broken down on multiple occasions during the season and haven’t played that great when they have played that I think most are worried about.

Personally I’d be happy with Charlie, Harry, Gov and Williams coming in. I’d love TDK to play provided he is ok as his injury was serious. I want none of Cerra or Martin, nor Boyd for that matter. Doc playing would be madness IMO.

The good thing is there are so many possibilities that it’ll be really confusing for Brisbane to plan for the game not knowing that as many as 8 players could come in. I usually mind the coaches mind games over whether a player under injury cloud playing is a waste of time because it is only one player in a team of 23. But in this case we should milk it for as long as possible

Docherty is proven to perform after a long layoff. Remember round 1 2022? Long layoff, not expected to be fit, 26 disposals and a goal off half back, killed it against a strong Richmond side. I'd trust Docherty. It's a big call though.

Martin is a different story. What's different this time? Why should we trust his body?

I'm definitely playing Moir and Lord. Performed awesomely last week in finals like conditions.

Finals being different are overhyped. Our players have just played in a finals like game and have throughout the year. This is grossly overplayed. What's different in finals is that you are guaranteed to play a strong side who will be having a crack. Teams get this in the H/A season. Who performs when this happens?

No doubts for me with TDK, Curnow and McKay.

We have beaten Richmond, North and WCE only in the past eight weeks. Love the optimism but think we need to be realistic / we need every best 22 player we can muster and then some to beat Brisbane up there. Massive underdogs.
Massive underdogs, means nothing. Bears have been ordinary recently, struggled to beat the injectors.

If I were still a betting man, I would be very tempted at our juicy odds.

They are no world beaters, reckon they have almost missed their window.

for me, its charlie mckay and mcgovern as the absolute definites.

williams next

of the others, only TDK if fit.

The others are a no for the reasons you state - way too much of a risk for mine with smaller upside than the others
Voss did say “it’s that time of the year though you do need to take some risks”

I reckon he plays Doc and TDK as well if they get through training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back