Preview 2024 Elimination Final Carlton vs Brisbane Saturday 7th September 7:30PM AEST @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the knee I’m worried about. Hadn’t played a full game in a season. Home and away match would be crazy without a VFL hit out or two but straight back into it for an elimination final is just stupid imo. No other player who’s had match play and match fitness to come in? Surely he’ll be sub..

You’re underestimating a few things.
1- His football ability (even when underdone, he’s better than the alternative options)
2- His courage and willpower (absolutely second to none, he may be gassed in the second quarter; but will still be running it out in the last- the guy has zero quit in him)
3- the flow on effect he has to the whole group (every player will be standing taller and going that extra 1% with him out there)

Okay this is my latest take based after Docherty now playing and I don’t think Martin, Boyd or Cerra are right
And unfortunately Owies is out

I’m going to assume Charlie and TDK arent right either based on not training Saturday (if they are that’s a massive bonus)

the Best case team for our Elimination Final Win.

In:
Harry, Williams, McGovern, Docherty
Out: Owies, Fantasia, Young, Binns,

Risky: Dekoning for Pitto, Charlie for Kennedy

FB - Cowan Weitering Cincotta
HB- Newman McGovern Saad
C- Acres Cripps Docherty
 HF- E.Hollands (m) Harry Williams
FF- Kennedy Kemp Durdin

FOL- Pitto/Dekoning Walsh Hewett

Int- O Hollands (d,w), Carroll (m,f), Motlop (f), Lord (m)
Sub - Moir

Emerg: Young, Fantasia, Binns

Not Risking:
Cerra
- too risky, Hewitt in great form
Martin - Kemp as 3rd forward

Why?
Hewitt, Walsh, Cripps
head to head in middle, Cincotta to tag if we are getting dominated
Docherty - play him on wing - takes Binns spot as too risky for Doch in backline
Young out - Brisbane not tall forwards, swing Kemp back if needed but I think we need an extra small/mid defender and we need better ball users over Young (plus it counters our extra bigs coming back)
Dekoning in if fit - would be difference
Kemp and Kennedy - forward, would love Charlie over Kennedy, but we need pressure acts in forward line (Kemp on Andrews) and not sure Charlie is right
Durdin - him or Fantasia, Fogarty would be preferred, shoulder doesn’t help, this is an issue
Boyd - Brisbane small forwards need to be stopped but I fear he is not ready so Cincotta
Lord - either him or Carroll, but hard to tell as Carroll playing forward lately, Carroll was subbed - I like Lord as a point of difference in midfield

Not sure what to make of where we are at leading into this campaign if you listen to the pundits and listen to the stats … Brisbane is the easiest tip in week one … the only thing is … this group of ours have always thrived when they are given no chance … the absence of any expectation seems to get them going … we’ll come to play of this I am sure … looking forward to it …

I'm in the camp that we've been so poor the last 6+ weeks that we may as well risk it all. To win a flag everything would have to go right anyway. Carrying in B grade players means it is a quick exit.

Having said all that, Carlton are amazing in this century of delivering beautiful moments of ecstasy - mostly not for Carlton fans though.

This might be another delicious 'moment' for non Carlton people as one by one the early returners break down. It would complete the 2024 story.

It's how Carlton make me feel.

But deep down, hidden away in the depths of my brain, there is a little voice squeaking away saying, maybe; just maybe a story for the ages led by our man Docherty. Maybe with a two week break Weitering and Walsh could muster another salvo as they looked cooked...and i mean they looked cooked like a sausage mistakenly left on a bbq . but but but...maybe because nothing more than 'maybe'!!!

So, we are looking at something like?

B: McGovern Young Newman
HB: Hollands Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Elijah McKay Williams
F: Kennedy Kemp/Charlie Durdin
Foll: Pittonet/TDK Hewett Walsh
Int: Cowan Cincotta Lord Fantasia (Moir/Carroll)

It’s a damn good side

Except Kemp plays even if Charlie does, and Kennedy shifts to the bench. The sub then comes from Fantasia/Moir/Carroll/Binns IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in the camp that we've been so poor the last 6+ weeks that we may as well risk it all. To win a flag everything would have to go right anyway. Carrying in B grade players means it is a quick exit.

Having said all that, Carlton are amazing in this century of delivering beautiful moments of ecstasy - mostly not for Carlton fans though.

This might be another delicious 'moment' for non Carlton people as one by one the early returners break down. It would complete the 2024 story.

It's how Carlton make me feel.

But deep down, hidden away in the depths of my brain, there is a little voice squeaking away saying, maybe; just maybe a story for the ages led by our man Docherty. Maybe with a two week break Weitering and Walsh could muster another salvo as they looked cooked...and i mean they looked cooked like a sausage mistakenly left on a bbq . but but but...maybe because nothing more than 'maybe'!!!

Walsh played his best game in months v St Kilda, so let’s hope that continues.

Weiters has just continued to be Weiters, the week off should be beneficial to all.

Walsh played his best game in months v St Kilda, so let’s hope that continues.

Weiters has just continued to be Weiters, the week off should be beneficial to all.

maywa denki robot GIF

If Doch starts in the 22, id be tempered to risk the sub on Cerra, I’m very torn, I’m critical of Voss believing a 75-80% fit player is better than a Binns, Lord or Moir and by rushing back 6-7 players, he is doing exactly what i and so many fans have called out as, rushing un fit players back in to the side and disrupting the team.

If bringing back Cerra and Cottrell straight in to the side after long injury lay offs mid season was a mistake, then this is worse.

I really really hope we strike a good balance here, Harry, Charlie, Gov and Williams are coming off small injury lay offs, with most playing a large chunk of the season, i see these are acceptable, low risk moves.

Doch who’s been named is crazy to me, outside of the 5 mentioned, I’m not sure bringing two more players back in, after long lay offs, is a good move.

My early call...

Hedge bets in terms of injuries, retain a splash of youth, one ruck, run and skill the focus on a greasy deck.

Saad, Weitering, Newman
McGovern, Young, Docherty
Acres, Hewett, Hollands
Hollands, McKay, Fantasia
WIlliams, Curnow, Motlop

Pittonet, Cripps, Walsh

Kennedy, Cincotta, Cowan, Kemp

Sub: Moir

Last edited:
So, we are looking at something like?

B: McGovern Young Newman
HB: Hollands Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Elijah McKay Williams
F: Kennedy Kemp/Charlie Durdin
Foll: Pittonet/TDK Hewett Walsh
Int: Cowan Cincotta Lord Fantasia (Moir/Carroll)

It’s a damn good side
Very good side. We play better smaller. It won’t happen but l would leave Young out & play McKay in key defence.

After our initial avalanche in last year’s prelim, they got us on the spread.

Let’s have Curnow, Kennedy & Kemp forward with the smalls & keep that pressure we showed last 2 weeks. We can always swing if need be. Let us keep our brut midfield intact with plenty of runners on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back