Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That free kick to McKay... Are you kidding me? Just walk them to the goal square why don't you umpires.

They could introduce the Charlie Brown style place kick. Umpire puts the ball on its end with his finger on top of it, 1m in front of the goal and their pet gets to run up and punt it.

First time on here tonight, but how was the 50m penalty in the first half. And to think Laura Kane ticked off the non call last week.

Exactly the same situation, it's why we can't stand what has happened to our game.
Umpiring just as lousy tonight.
Not sure how it ever improves.

Nek minit….a disgraceful 50m free kick - the softest touch in the back.
FFS.

Last edited:
Surely ai 🤖 is at the stage now where it can make all the calls and we only need human umpires for ball ups, throw ins and flag waving.
Wouldn’t be that hard to make a flag waving machine either.
AI can't even answer when St Kilda will win the flag
It's a dirty feeling, just wait until they win a flag and their supporters will become insufferable once again
They never stopped being insufferable.

20 years of shit never taught them anything

That one has been 50 for about the last 30 years, pretty obvious imo.
Push in the back, maybe. And even that’s debatable because Hawkins has got away with it for years. And they let plenty go.
This incident was barely a touch, with a little mayo added.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually fine on there being 4 in premise, this stems from my umpiring mate at VFL level showing a KPI as "you need to run really fast multiple times" as if that has anything do with making correct decisions, having a core aerobic capacity.

If 4 is the number they've set as "these other people are old and buggered", I am fine at that number in isolation as it means less running for the old farts for less fatigue nonsense.

This is why others need to fix the book first for me, as the stupid people amending it can;t be trusted to do so competently and that then screws over the dancing troupe later.
Of course you need to be super fit to be an AFL umpire. Bloke I went to school with was an elite runner and only just made the grade.

The solution isn't to flood the field with them. It's to pay them more!! That way you attract better heads.

* Thing is about this I reckon the AFL are too tight to do what's required and just pay a core group of elite umpires top dollar and faction it down from there. They'd rather have a tonne of headless chooks running around with more ego in their heads and air in the whistle-ready lungs than sense.

It's a clown shop the way the comp is run.

Last edited:
The solution isn't to flood the field with them. It's to pay them more!! That way you attract better heads.

So you think there are people out there who would be AFL umpires and get abused every week for making decisions under ambiguous rules, but who don't because they don't get paid enough?

The only solution imo is to make the rules more simple. This game has more grey areas than any major competition in the world, more need for umpires to assess the player's intent (deliberate out of bounds, holding the ball, blocking in marking contests) or what they "could" have done (prior opportunity).

The rules need to be strict liability so an 12 year old could make the decisions. That's the only way you'll solve it. Yes, people will whinge that "it's not the game I grew up with". But ****ed if I can be bothered listening to all the umpire whinging for the next 50 years of watching footy. Fix it.

So you think there are people out there who would be AFL umpires and get abused every week for making decisions under ambiguous rules, but who don't because they don't get paid enough?

The only solution imo is to make the rules more simple. This game has more grey areas than any major competition in the world, more need for umpires to assess the player's intent (deliberate out of bounds, holding the ball, blocking in marking contests) or what they "could" have done (prior opportunity).

The rules need to be strict liability so an 12 year old could make the decisions. That's the only way you'll solve it. Yes, people will whinge that "it's not the game I grew up with". But ****ed if I can be bothered listening to all the umpire whinging for the next 50 years of watching footy. Fix it.
Of course I believe the rules need to be simplified, I've been a huge critic of the way they've tinkered with things

However my response was specific to the post I quoted, and yes, I believe if the AFL was serious, they'd pay the umpires a good bit more, have less of them, and we'd have a much better situation

Also, with higher pay comes much more accountability.

The AFL would need to be on board with that though and stop being soft and protecting the umps/protecting their own feck ups. Accountability! There needs to be a massive clean out at the top of the tree imo, the current situation with that utterly useless failing upwards woman has me on the verge of cancelling my AFL Gold membership which is close to 20 years old. It's disgraceful and symptomatic of the worst kind of sycophantic corporate culture and brainlet group-think you could possibly nightmare up.

Of course I believe the rules need to be simplified, I've been a huge critic of the way they've tinkered with things

Nah it's not the tinkering. The fundamental rules of footy are hard to umpire. The game needs to be a bit different to make it easier. That's why they tinker in the first place - to deal with the fundamental subjectivity inherent in the rules.

Nah it's not the tinkering. The fundamental rules of footy are hard to umpire. The game needs to be a bit different to make it easier. That's why they tinker in the first place - to deal with the fundamental subjectivity inherent in the rules.
The subjectivity can make it beautiful. I don't like sports trying to be perfected or mechanised. I think VAR stuff is dubious too. I watched a lot of VFA in person as a youngster and it was unreal. But ir was far from perfect. Accept the game for what it is, make the rules as clear as possible, adhere to all of seasonedsainters recommendations and move on! ;)

The subjectivity can make it beautiful. I don't like sports trying to be perfected or mechanised. I think VAR stuff is dubious too.

Hah, I'd make the rules much more clear and get rid of VAR personally. Make it a clear game with minimal danger to players that can be umpired, then get the technology out of it. And ban commentators from whinging about umpiring decisions - I watched the NBA finals and they mention refereeing about once a game, incidentally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back