Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

pick 6 for a mediocre small forward. geez we made out like bandits with both Higgins and Butler.

Clubs seem to have such an obsession with small forwards, I don’t really get it. Imo it’s a mildly useful role which you can get pretty easily at the draft or from a state league - but many clubs seem to think they need to spend big on one at the trade table.

Clubs seem to have such an obsession with small forwards, I don’t really get it. Imo it’s a mildly useful role which you can get pretty easily at the draft or from a state league - but many clubs seem to think they need to spend big on one at the trade table.

Most of them aren't that effective. A Milney or Betts would be good.
Toby Green averaging more than 2 goals a game over the last few years.
Higgins a good pick up, averaging nearly 2 this year, no mean feat in a low scoring team.

I have to say, I love what Jack Ginnivan brings to the game, and he's bordering on recruit of the year, not just for his footy which is going fine, but the cultural piece.

IMO he has exactly the right temprement for the modern game, he's cheeky but he knows his role, he taps into the emotions of love and hate so well with his supporters and rival supporters, and just look at him making that game against the Pies a proper party. What player wouldn't want to be part of something like that?

Bye Josh

🤔

4flnKh3.jpg
What is the English translation for heyeronormative learned patriach behaviour????

coaches turning down the WCE gig... wow. haven't seen anything like it

Poison chalice. They haven't hit bottom yet. The next guy isn't the next premiership coach. On SEN they were talking getting Kenny Hinkley in for a few years

coaches turning down the WCE gig... wow. haven't seen anything like it
I guess Cox and Carr reckon they’re next in line for their particular clubs and prefer to take that chance. Not like Longmire looks like he’s going anywhere in a hurry. Maybe they don’t fancy a rebuild.

I guess Cox and Carr reckon they’re next in line for their particular clubs and prefer to take that chance. Not like Longmire looks like he’s going anywhere in a hurry. Maybe they don’t fancy a rebuild.
I reckon gringo has nailed it. Also think don pyke ain't exactly a stellar ceo. Can see there being change at the top before the new coaches contract is out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone else noticed how some clubs nearly always crib 1 or 2 metres on marks. Sydney are champions at it, I watched the Brisbane game and in one situation a mark was taken by a Brisbane player with a Swans chasing. He slowed to near the mark was, the umpire hadn't called stand so a team mate took his position on the mark some 5 metres in front of where the mark was taken. It was so obvious the Brisbane player had to go back further so he could kick over the cheaky bugger on the mark. Its only a small thing but when you are playing games of metres it adds up and puts extra pressure on the kickers. Smart coaching by Swans...

Poison chalice. They haven't hit bottom yet. The next guy isn't the next premiership coach. On SEN they were talking getting Kenny Hinkley in for a few years
Why haven't they hit rock bottom?
I heard that said, but I don't see how they can get worse.

McGovern will retire eventually along with a few others. But by that stage, the youngsters should have enough experience to start taking over. I think they'll be more competitive, but Wildly inconsistent - probably like us for the last 10 years. What will make them worse, apart from Harley Reid leaving?

It’s a critical role if you’re going to be a front half team.

A small half forward who chases, pressures, tackles and kicks goals is a really fun player to watch. And that’s because all their best work translates into goals or shots on goal. Bonus if they can chop out in the midfield.

Bobby Hill, Kysiah Pickett, Josh Rachele, Tom Papley, Willie Rioli, Liam Ryan, Cody Weightman, Cam Zurhaar, Lincoln McCarthy, Toby Greene, Jack Higgins, Jack Ginnivan, Michael Frederick, Brent Daniels, Luke Breust, Tyson Stengle.

That Essendon guy.

Izak Rankine and Shai Bolton two of the very best who have had extended midfield roles carved out for them. Like we tried to do with Gresham as did the Hawks with Dylan Moore.

They’re all amongst the biggest names in the competition for a reason. The teams that struggle in this position, struggle to win games.

We’re a textbook example of the fact that a good defence doesn’t automatically translate into wins. But when Butler and Higgins are pumping is when we’re at our winning best.

If Collard can lift his pressure and physicality game then he will be an absolute delight to watch and our goals for tally will look much healthier.

He’s way behind his fellow draftee Nick Watson though, which highlights quite nicely the value difference of a performing small against one with potential.

Hopefully the penny drops for Lance that the harder he works on his defensive game, the more his natural offensive talent will be allowed to come to the fore.

In the meantime, if we can land a Stengle then you clear the decks.

Couldnt happen to a nicer club......:tearsofjoy:
i find it amusing that simpson quit because he went to pyke and asked if he would get another extension beyond this contract and pyke was like "no"

its hilarious

pyke made one grand final and then put his players through an off-season program that work safe described as "torture" and "abuse" and he's the one to decide if adam simpson is the right guy to coach. simpson made two grand finals and actual won one. but more importantly he never abused his players.

adam simpson would be shaking his head that this guy is deciding his fate. the bloke shouldn't be let in the doors of another club let alone be CEO and running the whole ****in thing.

Why haven't they hit rock bottom?
I heard that said, but I don't see how they can get worse.

McGovern will retire eventually along with a few others. But by that stage, the youngsters should have enough experience to start taking over. I think they'll be more competitive, but Wildly inconsistent - probably like us for the last 10 years. What will make them worse, apart from Harley Reid leaving?
Would also like to know this. I'd say they've been better this year than last. If a team conceding 200 points isn't bottoming out then idk what is.

Has anyone else noticed how some clubs nearly always crib 1 or 2 metres on marks. Sydney are champions at it, I watched the Brisbane game and in one situation a mark was taken by a Brisbane player with a Swans chasing. He slowed to near the mark was, the umpire hadn't called stand so a team mate took his position on the mark some 5 metres in front of where the mark was taken. It was so obvious the Brisbane player had to go back further so he could kick over the cheaky bugger on the mark. Its only a small thing but when you are playing games of metres it adds up and puts extra pressure on the kickers. Smart coaching by Swans...
If you can call cheating 'smart coaching".

If you can call cheating 'smart coaching".

All contacts sports have a degree of exploiting the rules, all the smarter clubs do it. Its not cheating if the umpire/referee doesnt see it, its astute play to get your team an advantage. If the opposition were smarter they would be talking to the umpires before and during games to highlight the breaches.

Collingwood came up with tunnelling our blokes in the 2010 final series to limit the games Reiwoldt etc could have. It was cheating in a sense because everyone knew it was wrong but at the time there were no rules excluding it. Now there is...

Its why runners are only allowed on the ground at certain times now, because Collingwood etc were using their runners to fill holes in defensive zones.

The hands in the back rule is another that players exploit and get away with breaches that are not picked up by the umpires.

Ruckman are adjudicated completely different to other players in that one ruckman can grab with both arms and throw another out of the contest. Thats a breach but for some reason the umpires chose to over look it. It is cheating according to the rules, but if they get away with it because the umpires over look it - then fair play.

Thats my point the smarter clubs learn how to exploit the laws of the game and its up to the AFL stay abreast of the changes, amend the rules and adjudicate the games accordingly. Again smart caching!

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2024 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back